ISPs ordered to supply details of illegal file sharers

By Derek Sooman on February 1, 2006, 3:19 AM
The crusade against illegal file sharing continues: ISPs have been ordered to supply the details of 150 people accused of violating copyright. A High Court order has been issued to ten ISPs, compelling them to hand over details of the alleged unauthorised file-sharers. The information is to be handed over to the Federation Against Software Theft (FAST), and includes names, addresses and dates of birth. The ISPs have two weeks to comply.

Judge Raynor confirmed that there was "an overwhelming case" for ordering such customer details to be released. ISPs cannot release such customer details without a court order, as this would be a breach of the Data Protection Act.
The ISPs involved include BT, Telewest, Tiscali, and NTL.

asphix said:
I assume this is taking place in the UK? I dont recognize those ISP'sBad news.. if that ever happened in my area I would probably be suspect. I dont download illegal content, but I do download a LOT of legal unlisenced Anime from fansubs. I'm sure the network traffic would make the RIAA and MPAA very curious.
DragonMaster said:
Just using the Internet is making them suspect people. I listen to Internet radio streams, and once downloaded Linux off BitTorrent. I'm sure that this seems suspicious.
Need_a_Dell said:
This crack down seems to get more and more serious with every passing day. Sure, these few cases might deter a few people from downloading such and such a movie, but in the long run, there are hundreds of millions of people who download terabytes upon terabytes of information daily. The reality is, illegal sharing isn't going to end anytime soon.
MonkeyMan said:
nathanskywalker said:
[quote]Well, as always, you always read about pirated software, but the thing is, no one can really stop it. They can try to prevent it, as this case shows, but noone can stop it.[/quote]Yes, if this is to be stopped using legal methods, there has to be another, mroe effective way.[quote]150 people [/quote]Dude, that is a big bust!!! I've relly only heard of one or two people getting busted, and only every so often. However, if they(FAST), make a lot more random busts, they might start to get somewhere...
Race said:
Since we've been hearing more lately about ISP's and the legality of devulging the personal details of it's customers, it seemed like it was just a matter of time before courts somewhere issued this order.Apparently, they're talking about software in this case, and I have to agree with FAST on this.Personally, I don't have a problem with people occasionally sharing a song or two (if that's possible), especially if it's something you can't find anywhere else, but I am concerned about illegal software distribution, movies, and bulk file sharing in general. Although University networks have been a primary focus, it is most definitely the responsibility of businesses to maintain control of what takes place on their networks, and with FAST targeting them next, this will certainly emphasize it.
vigilante said:
Is there no such thing as anonymity anymore?Seems like EVERY service we have, is tracking, counting, storing, watchine, monitoring, searching, analyzing, sharing our lives.Our ISPs track usage and anything else. Google tracks your seraches. Your phone company can record your calls. You cable company knows everything you watch. Your cell phone provider can locate you to within few feet whereever you are. Your E-mail is massively searched and monitored. Your web blogs are being scaned. Robots are searching the Internet for phone numbers and addresses to sell spammers. Companies are selling out your contact info to the highest bidder.Is it just me or does it seem like the average consumer is like a mouse in a labratory, being monitored and recorded for research? Somebody always over your shoulder, somebody always viewing your data before it reaches its destination.Part of me thinks, alright, bust down on the massive illegal file sharers. The other part thinks, HOW do they know these guys are massively sharing illegal files? You can't DO anything these days without your actions becoming a database somewhere. I think that is sad. And sometimes scary.
gamingmage said:
Wow I wonder if they're going to hand it over. I mean that is a huge number, 150, to bust at once from different ISPs too. I bet in no time they will have some way of finding all the illegal file sharers. One question, how do they know that it is these people? Are they installing spyware illegaly or something else? Can't the companies whose software and things are being shared limit uses or something to prevent file sharing from happening?
Eko said:
I agree with Vigilante. You cannot do anything, except to agree with being a mouse in a laboratory, and have everything about what you do on the Internet watched and surveilled and recorded, and maybe used against you someday.Big Brother is here, but from my point of view RIAA and BSA can go to ..., I will use whatever I want on my computer, and share to whomever I like. Until the day I get arrested for this, which comes closer and closer as thing appear lately. The privacy is a futile term, no longer used in the vocabulary of American government, and soon, the English one as well. The ISP is supposed to guarantee my privacy, not to give everything about me to the Big Brother... But this is the (ugly) world we live in, and get used to it! You'll have a fist in your mouth as soon as you disagree, pretty soon :((