Issues with IE7 beta being reported

By Justin Mann on February 1, 2006, 7:06 PM
The beta of IE7 which was released yesterday is already receiving flak for bugs and compatibility, including certain anti-spyware and anti-virus utilities, though the example did not mention names. There are also some vulnerabilities noted. It isn't exactly fair to assume this will be what IE7 offers, and many need to be reminded that it is indeed a beta and thus it is in a stage where bug reports are encouraged, so that these problems can be hammered out. Microsoft is taking bug reports, and is reacting publically and vowing to make sure the product comes out good:

"I have McAfee Internet Security Suite on my system, and when IE 7 is loaded, neither work," one tester wrote in Microsoft's news groups. "Surely...getting the system to work with an industry leader is a small price to pay." ... Microsoft acknowledged the compatibility issues with the McAfee software in a response on the IE team blog. "The McAfee issue is known, and we'll work on this for a future build," a Microsoft representative wrote on the blog.
Despite the stigma against IE6 currently, IE7 is a very different beast and a second look is probably worth it. Anyone want to try it out should, but remember to never put beta software on production machines.

cyrax said:
IE and bugs. For some distant reason i am not surprised. For vista sake, lets hope this is not a sign of things to come.
djleyo said:
i think everyone saw this one comming since its the first beta realease does anyone now how many people reported problems?i do hope microsoft resolves all of the issues and removes all security holes lets see what mozilla comes out with on firefox 2.0is there a beta for firefox 2.0???
DragonMaster said:
Already?There is FFX2 alpha 1 coming soon. If you can't wait, you could look at a nightly release. These often have interface bugs tho. I looked at a nightly trunk a couple of weeks ago and something easy to see is that there are close buttons on each tabs now.
jmag034 said:
They've been talking about these problems forever. Its rediculous they havent fixed these problems yet.
sngx1275 said:
I know its a lot of people's idea of fun to bash Microsoft, espically IE once people have become Firefox snobs. I see it on here all the time. The friggin thing is still beta guys, its different than your nightly firefox builds which are just some slight modifications of an already existing somewhat proven browser. IE7 is like Justin said is quite a bit different than IE6. All you Firefox guys are thinking its too late and FF 2 is going to be something great and many of the IE masses are going to be switching over. My prediction is you'll get the same amount of IE users to switch as you did with 1.5, and as soon as IE 7 comes out all that switching over is going to stop. I think IE 7 is going to be a pretty decent browser, enough to keep people from switching in the quantities Firefox users imagine.For the record, I do not use IE. I use Opera, and even paid for it when it wasn't free.
mastronaut said:
I've been toying with it, so far it's impressive to me.I tried Firefox and hated the plastic look and wasn't impressed with the features either. This (when done) is going to be great!
Need_a_Dell said:
What did I say a just a few posts ago??? Did I not mention that I would DEFINITELY be sticking to FireFox? IE just has WAY too many problems, even if it is a revamped version 7, it's still being made by the same people that made all of the other versions. Nothing is really going to change. Follow my lead and stick with FireFox!
nic said:
I would bet that many Firefox users will switch back to using IE when IE7 comes out of beta. Why have two browsers on your system if they offer pretty much the same feature wise.Currently I am an Opera user, but there are some plugins (e.g. AiRoboForm) that don't work with Opera because the Opera developers won't add a proper API to support AiRoboForm. This means that I need to switch to IE whenever I require online form filling.This isn't good for Opera as IE7 with it's tabbed browsing might result in me using Opera less and less.
Race said:
"Issues with IE7 beta being reported".......AS THEY ARE/SHOULD WITH ANY BETA SOFTWARE!When the earlier news clip came out here at TechSpot announcing Beta 2, I came close to installing it right then, just because I'm a bit anxious to check out the new version.....but then I thought better and held off, since I don't have a test machine.I'll wait for the final release, and I'm confident it'll be a greatly improved and robust new version.....also just for the record, I use IE on my home (primary) system, and occasionally Firefox on my girlfriend's machine.
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Beta is supposed to have bugs so MS can fix them in the final release. Thats why its been put out innit? And since Microsoft has been busy on this for a time now, maybe we'll se an end product that gives Opera and Firefox a run for their money.
asphix said:
Good deal.. Like you guys said, its a Beta.. so its to be expected. I'd rather them release a public beta for people to cry about (its what they're supposed to do!) than not, and release a final product with issues that can be resolved through a public beta process.So far I'm loving IE7. I'm using it at work, where our multiple firewalls and other security will make any vulnerabilities the browser poses to be of minimal risk :)
nathanskywalker said:
[quote] I've been toying with it, so far it's impressive to me. [/quote]Uhuh. Personally, i hate internet explorer, but IE7 was quite impressive. A major jump past anything Ms has ever done. And of course it is going to have errors, it is only the preview, the beta, you're going to have to pay for the vista version....well mabye not, i guess you already paid for that in a way when you buy xp. There are a couple things i would miss in internet explorer tht firefox has, but in some ways, i like IE7 more. The interface is much nicer, more streamlined, and just plain gives you the feeling of having alot more room with which to work. It almost as a hybrid look between Mac(what i have seen), and a very google look.As far as spyware defense, i haven't used IE7 enough to know, but i wouldn't be to critical about a few mistakes just yet.
mentaljedi said:
IE7 will give everyone a run for their money, and FF will have to adapt to Vista which may take some time. So IE will have the advantage there... timewise anyway.
ThomasNews said:
.aspx[/url]"Were starting to see the first round of sites & pages breaking due to the CSS fixes we have made. We would like to ask your help in cleaning up existing CSS hacks in your pages for IE7.... This leads now to several CSS hacks failing. If you are using IE7 you may notice major sites breaking due to the use of CSS hacks & the strict doctype."[url]http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/01/23/51
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by ThomasNews:[/b][quote]IE7 will certainly be a step up from IE6 but compatibility will be a big issue;[url]http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/10/12/48024
393.aspx[/url]"In IE6 & below, XMLHTTP is implemented as an ActiveX object provided by MSXML. In IE7, XMLHTTP is now also exposed as a native script object. IE7s implementation of the XMLHTTP object is consistent with that of other browsers, simplifying the task of cross-browser compatibility."Ironic that site's will break as Microsoft (finally) gets around to fixing the more common standards issues - for some many years pages have had to use hacks to work correctly in IE. Microsoft have already stated that they aren't making a big push on the standards front so Firefox, Opera & the like won't be threatened on that front. They will however have a far more competent integrated browser.[Edited by ThomasNews on 2006-02-02 11:20:53][/quote]But those hacks can't be removed as long as majority of IE users use 6 or older, right?