Shipments of cellphones surge

By Derek Sooman on February 2, 2006, 7:08 PM
No surprise here that cell phone shipments continue to grow and grow, with shipments increasing 19.3% from 707 million in 2004 to 826 million in 2005. Reports released by IDC and iSuppli contend that a strong fourth quarter was key for the industry to reach this new level.

Nokia continued its dominance in the market with just under 33% of global market share and about 265 million phones shipped. Motorola came in second with about 146 million phones sold; Samsung was third with about 103 million units. Sony Ericsson also posted a year of substantial growth and slowly but surely closes the gap to rival LG: Sony Ericsson sold 51 million phones, LG 55 million.

gamingmage said:
Wow that's a lot of phones. Cell phone innovation has gone up it seems with each shipment, now they have ones that can play MP3s, video, and all sorts of things. Also almost every single kid out there has one as well. Cell phone usage has gone up as much as anything and this means more money being payed for plans. The market seems really ripe right now.
Cy6erpuke said:
I knew that Nokia ruled, but these numbers are staggering! I have always had a Nokia, then tried another make, boy was I in a hurry to get a Nokia again. With this many phones, it is not a wonder that virusses are beginning to stick out their ugly heads.
barfarf said:
Vaulden said:
Well there is no shortage of mobile phones I guess. Now if it would just be cheap enough to own one. ;)
nathanskywalker said:
[b]Originally posted by barfarf:[/b][quote]Bah on Viruses. I am more worried about the radiation! So far research on high cell phone usage and the damage it causes the human body at best is inconclusive at worse causes cancer or tumors. Perhaps its not so much the cell phones we need to worry about but the huge cellular towers. People living near the towers are being effect by them. Too bad cell phones are so darn fun and useful. I just ordered a treo 650. =) I think a short term solution would be to wear a wired ear pieces. I think blue tooth is better then holding the cell phone to your head. Finally foil hats always work. j/k =P[/quote]lol, true. Personally i'm not to concerned about cancer( i don't use cell phones that often), but i am sensitive to something about them. Seriously, i put a cell phone next to my head, and i literally get an instant headace. Not always, but often enough to deter me from purchasing one.And yeah, obviously the cell phone industry is growing. Cell's have become so much more custom, easy to change, and mcuh smaller. Not to mention all the new feature that are included in modern cell phones, such as: mini camera, internet, games, voice commands, and the like.
Race said:
With a slew of new models with newer technologies in the works for this year from all manufacturers, I would be surprised if this trend didn't continued. For example, Omnivision Technologies, who is a primary supplier of cell phone camera sensors, recently announced they had shipped over a quarter of a billion, just in the most recent quarter (3 month period). The cell phone is truly becoming an amazing device. As for myself, I'm way overdue for an upgrade.
Need_a_Dell said:
I must be the only person in the world who still doesn't have a cell phone. I'm not quite sure why people rely so heavily on something so stupid. Why do people need to be in touch with everybody all the time? It really isn't nescessary, especially when so many people have them. In my case, all of my friends have them, so when we go out and I need to use the phone, I just borrow one of theirs. People should try to take after me, a perfect role model,(jks) and ditch the need to have a cell phone, instead opting for a handing, slim, compact, pre-paid calling card!