NVIDIA's GeForce 7800 series-based AGP card makes it to the market

By on February 2, 2006, 5:47 PM
Owners of PC systems with AGP slots have been getting the shaft lately when it comes to graphics cards. NVIDIA released its GeForce 7 series this past summer, and ATI has introduced not one, but two generations of high-end Radeon X1000-series GPUs. Yet neither company has seen fit to introduce a fast new AGP card, somehow figuring that the upgrade market would prefer PCI Express so overwhelmingly it didn't matter. That seems to be a rather harsh assessment given the fact that one can slide an Athlon 64 X2 into a reasonably decent Socket 939 AGP mobo like the Asus A8V and get a dual-core CPU upgrade.

Fortunately, NVIDIA and BFG Tech are looking to right that wrong by introducing the GeForce 7800 GS OC, which brings the shader power of the GeForce 7 architecture to an AGP slot near you--or at least some of that shader power, anyhow. The GeForce 7800 GS is based on the same G70 GPU that powers other 7800-series graphics cards, but it's cut down to a portion of the full functionality of a GeForce 7800 GTX. Does this G70 "lite" still have what it takes to dominate the AGP graphics upgrade market?

Just to clarify things, BFG is not the only manufacturer distributing 7800 GS boards.

Reviews: TechReport, Anandtech, PC Perspective.

blue_dragon said:
wow thisi s great for those w/o pci-express...i currently score around 300 in 3dmark 05 and its proven that an update for my card can rank it up to 7000
Vaulden said:
This is unexpected. If I upgrade; it will be to a PCI express card and appropriate motherboard so in the end it does not really affect me. This, in my eyes, was not a necessary step by Nvidia. However, it shows that sometimes these companies are willing to go the extra step for its customers. Or maybe they were seeing a decline in profits? ;)
Masque said:
I think this is a step in the right direction for any manufacturer of video cards (and many other items). There are a ton of people with AGP slotted boards that are running quite nicely with their current setup but need just that little extra boost of a good card. As Vaulden alluded...let's hope it is the extra step for its customers.
Julio said:
Certainly a good move by NVIDIA, it's an user pleaser IMHO. If I'd had the option a month ago, and it wasn't for the fact I wanted to get rid of my old P4 "Prescott" for an Athlon X2 (dual core, minus the heat), I'd probably have gone for the videocard upgrade alone.
MonkeyMan said:
Hmmm,I'm not sure about the new AGP 7800. It will have a lower modification than the PCI express has, so it won't be fully functional so to say. I dunno, I don't think it would necessarily have what it takes to dominate the AGP line.
gamingmage said:
This is a great idea to reach out to more consumers who are happy with their overall system but want a better graphics card without building a new system. At least Nvidia is still thinking about the older generation unlike ATI who hasn't done as much to help. I think this will produce even more sales for Nvidia and the card I think will be a real contender in the AGP card series.
otmakus said:
I got 2 PC with AGP slot at home, and although I think it's better to upgrade to a better system with PCIx, it would be hard to my wallet, so having an extra option is always appreciated, although it all depends on the price. I wouldn't expect to stubbornly use those 2 PC for years to the future, but at least for a year, with a decent AGP video card, they can still be used to play any games.
djleyo said:
Nice move by nvidia not all users have PCI exp yet and this is a good powerfull card for agp users i think ATI and NVIDIA are going to keep this up they noticed that the were leaving in the dark the AGP users
Kaleid said:
Cy6erpuke said:
Go PCIe man, why stay begind.
PUTALE said:
based on the benchmarks, it looks like this is a great card for those who still got agp mobo. I am glad to see that nvidia still not forgotten about agp-users.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Kaleid said:
[b]Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by Kaleid:[/b][quote]AGP still has 55% of the market so don't stop releasing those AGP cards just yet.[/quote]Where did that figure come from? I'd think it's much higher.[/quote][url]http://www.theinq.com/?article=29313[/ur
]
Cartz said:
This is great news for people like me, who have one system that they constantly evolve to meet the constantly increasing requierments of computing...Currently, I have sitting at home 2 full A64 PCs, 1 minus RAM and an AGP video card. (When my old 9800pro died, I went PCI-E and took the RAM with me) Now I have an option to not only resurrect my old machine, but to breath life into it as a secondary gaming machine, now my buddies and I can play at the same time when they visit.Prepare yourselves people, you're about to be ghosted :)
buttus said:
This really is great news. Rare is it in this industry anymore that a manufacturer actually listens to the wants and needs of the market.I work for an IT reseller...and the vast majority of my client base still operate with main boards that have AGP.Without a current AGP solution, Nvidia had basically left a significant market to ATI (as both the All In Wonder X800 as well as the X850 were available in AGP Format). Up until now, even the last of the 6800series that had been AGP has been long gone out of the channel.It's great to see that consumers still have both a choice as well as a voice where Tech Manufacturers are concerned.
Race said:
Even though it's a cut-down version, it's cool that Nvidia made the AGP version of their high-end card available. I am just a tad bummed that they didn't open up another 4 pipelines toward twenty....after all, it's a G70 core. (Apparently, RivaTuner can't open more either) Also, I would imagine that this will be the last of the AGP's. It's recommended (by several sources) that you have at least a 3ghz processor to go along with it, so users upgrading with anything less will experience other bottlenecks as well.Nevertheless, for the $300 they're asking for it, and the fact that it'll get you another year or so of good gaming, it's pretty cool.
DragonMaster said:
nathanskywalker said:
Wow, i honestly thought AGP had served it's time.[quote] Are there AGP mainboards that are supporting CPUs making it worth having a 7800?[/quote]I would think that it might be worth it, there are some high end AGP boards, even some 939 boards still support AGP, though not many.
Need_a_Dell said:
Is this really nescessary? People who wants up-to-date graphics should comply with the rest of the world, not vice-versa. PCI-X has been proven to be much better in every aspect compared to AGP. Why should nVidia and BFG have to make dumbed down versions for people who are behind the bend? If they are going to drop that much cash on a videocard, they may as well make sure that it's the best it can be. They should go out to the store and pick up a new mobo that supports PCI-X and maybe SLi as well. I'm not really sure if there is going to be much profit in it for nVidia after making this decision.
Canadian said:
This is a glorious, and proud day. Lol. Im glad to see this finally happened, unfortunatly, 2 weeks ago, I got a new motherboard, just for the PCI-E. :(
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by DragonMaster:[/b][quote]Are there AGP mainboards that are supporting CPUs making it worth having a 7800?[/quote]Yes, if you play games that require GPU power, like F.E.A.R.
DragonMaster said:
[quote]I would think that it might be worth it, there are some high end AGP boards, even some 939 boards still support AGP, though not many.[/quote]Oh, that could be useful then. I was just trying to imagine why someone would put a 7800 on their old Athlon XP 2000+.(Not worth getting more than a GeForce 4 in there)
Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Good move by NVIDIA to keep hold of both the PCiE and AGP markets. It also comes at a time when none of ATI's new cards are being offered in AGP form.As for Need_a_Dell, well not everybody has enough dough to spend on a new mobo + a new PCiE video card. So AGP is still gonna stick around for a while. The 7800 GTX and the new X1900XT/XTX were released for people who want to stay abreast of current technology and have the money to do so. So NVIDIA will profit from this. Where I live, the majority of my gamer friends use AGP cards like the 9800 XT and the 6600 GT. Just my $2 ;)
stilup said:
I was looking just the other day for the AGP higher options availible.Interesting, I now run an O/C'd ATI X800 513/1066 with my socket AAbit NF7-S V 2.0 and it runs fine and I play all my games fine. Even FEAR.I wonder how this new AGP 7800 Nvidia card will compare?I have an XPM2800 O/C'd to 2535mhz.
Jesse_hz said:
AHHHHHHHHHHH!Why won't they just let AGP die! PCIe boards aren't THAT expensive.