Corsair releases 2GB XMS "XPERT" kit

By Justin Mann on February 3, 2006, 7:45 PM
In a press released issued yesterday, enthusiast memory manufacturer Corsair released a new addition to their XMS line. This time, they are directly targeting DDR users that are looking for very large quantities of RAM, such as the magic 2GB mark that greatly helps many modern games like Battlefield 2. Called the XMS 3200C2 XPERT 2GB, it is a kit of 2 1GB sticks of DDR400 that has very impressive timings of 2-3-3-6 with a stock voltage of 2.75. Like other Corsair RAM it has a lifetime warranty, and comes with the Corsair heat spreaders. The press release flaunts the new RAM, of course, but brings up a very good point about newer applications making great use of large amounts of RAM. The newer games can be exceedingly memory hungry, and anyone trying to play a game like BF2 on a 512mb machine versus a 2GB machine will feel a night and day difference. Many common home programs, like Photoshop, also get huge performance boosts out of large amounts of ram. Having nice enthusiast kits makes it all the more enjoyable. You can download the press release here.

Masque said:
I really wonder if memory like this holds much water against the likes of...oh....say Kingston ValueRam. I'm currently running at 2G of the aforementioned and it's rock-solid. It's something I may have to look at in the future. It is good to see a manufacturer coming out with the bigger chips though....they're right. More is better, expecially with the current crop of apps/games.
Need_a_Dell said:
Sounds great! The more RAM the merrier I always say! It would be totally sweet to have two of these kits in your pc. Everything would run oh so smoothly coupled with a high end GPU and CPU! *drool* I want some rrrraaaaaammmmm.....
crossfire851 said:
This is extremely good. I'm glad good old Corsair is looking out for use users that need this. The heat spreaders are also a good thing to have!!!! This is my future upgrade.Its a thing of beauty...
djleyo said:
wow 1gb modules to bad my motherboard only supports 4gb nice 2-3-3-6 timmings they are like my 512mb xms's 3 words "have to upgrade"techspot giveaway these kits please!!!!!
MonkeyMan said:
Wow fast memory man. That is absolutely awesome man, and I know that those memory sticks will improve your PC speed to lightning fast speeds. I think I may purchase this RAM baby, because it would scream on my PC!!!!!!!
barfarf said:
haahahah a programmable LCD screen?? Man talk about geek. What should i program. "All your base are belong to us"?I wonder what this bad boy will cost. Like Masque is it really worth the $$$ over the price of value ram?Well me and my super cool rambus 1066 ram will forever wonder. =)
otmakus said:
Patriot has a 2GB kit with 2.5V and 2-3-2-5 setting, and actually most of us don't need 2GB of memory. Average computer users only need 1GB of memory at the moment.[url]http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/
gb-ram.html[/url]There are only two kind of people who need more than 2GB memory. The first is the professionals who works with large amount of data or complex, not of this earth softwares. The second is the hardcore gamers, who have expensive high-performance latest-generation graphics card and 19"++ monitor, who play modern games at maximum setting and high resolution.For the rest of us, who only has low end (or even antique) graphics card and play games at medium or low setting at 1024x768 in our 17" monitor (I'm talking about myself here), 1GB of memory is more than enough.
PUTALE said:
Corsair always makes the best ram. Man, I really wish to have these awesome ram in my system.
JMMD said:
My next game system will have 2GB of ram. I think 1GB is okay right now but the newer games can perform better when running 2GB.
gamingmage said:
Wow I only have one gig of OCZ ram. I wonder how much they will cost and when they will be out. Memory is and will become increasingly more a neccesity in order to run high end applications.
otmakus said:
I guess the time when 2GB of RAM will be a necessity is the time Vista is launched. Judging from the review so far, it has some monstrous appetite for resources. But before Vista becomes mainstream and I'll have to use it too, I'll stay put with my 1GB.
Kaleid said:
Would like to go from 1GB to 2, but I'm uncertain if it's worth the money atm, especially since AMD will soon start with DDR2 as well.Worth reading through the xbitlabs review before anyone considers upgrading to 2GB. The peformance increases are not always enough to justify the move..
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Looks like Corsair forgot an "E".
vigilante said:
Coolness. I'm running a Corsair XMS Extreme 1GB kit, this would be a logical upgrade.However, I'm holding out, my next upgrade will be to 64bit and DDR2. I'll live with my 1gb until then.
Canadian said:
How much ram will you need in the next few years. I have 2 gigs, and I find I use about 60-70% of it.
Vaulden said:
Nice... I might look into upping from 1g to 2g. However, with the talk of a new AMD chipset that will bypass DDR2 and use DDR3, I think I'll wait and see what happens over the next year before I upgrade to a 64-bit system.
cyrax said:
I'm still stuck with 768mb, but if the price is right i could forsee the purchase of 2gb sticks one day.
nathanskywalker said:
2-3-3-6...wow, DDR pc3200 at that speed costs alot...can't imagine how much this is going to cost....nice, very nice....i love corsair...
exscind said:
[b]Originally posted by Masque:[/b][quote]I really wonder if memory like this holds much water against the likes of...oh....say Kingston ValueRam.[/quote]For nortmal users, value RAM are good enough. The faster timings are for overclockers and enthusiasts. But I don't see what is so special about this 2GB kit. 2-3-3-6 timing doesn't seem that spectacular, and certainly many brands like OCZ and Crucial already have the same, if not better, RAMs competing. 2GB is nice though, and 2x1 GB is way better than 4x512MB. I wish I didn't have a 2x512MB because I don't think I'll be able to buy a 2x1GB kit.
Cy6erpuke said:
Corsair.... yummy! I play BF2 with 2 x 512 MB ram and had to set the graphics down a notch.... I know what my next purchase will be.
Cartz said:
Well, as a proud owner of 4x512 of the same brand of memory, I can say without a doubt that this RAM is some of the best.This is also good news for folks who are already running 64, and want to be up to par when Vista hits shelves. Vista developers are already saying that 2Gb is the recommended amount for 64 bit computing. Getting 2Gb now if you're running 64 bit is a nice way of future proofing, plus getting top notch performance for todays games.Its a shame I already have 4x512, or I'd hop all over this like nobody's buisness.
Yasmeen said: