Google Gmail to integrate with IM

By Derek Sooman on February 7, 2006, 12:24 PM
Google is planning to integrate its e-mail service with an IM service, which will allow users to chat and send e-mails from the same web browser window. Known as Gmail Chat, the new service will help Google catch up with others (AOL, Yahoo and Microsoft) in the IM world, where the company is currently lagging behind. The ability to use IM without a separate program is a definite bonus, and one that Google hopes will attract users to its IM system. Visible to existing subscribers from within Google's Gmail browser window, Gmail Chat will allow users to chat with contacts using services compatible with Google's messaging facilities, such as US-based Earthlink, chat client Jabber.org and e-mail providers in the Philippines, China and Italy.

Vaulden said:
No software required? Well I might just try it out if the few contacts I have move over to it. I don't see other IM services losing too many people to Google, as many people don't want to lose contact with their friends. So to move over to a new IM successfully they have to convince all their friends to move, which causes a chain reaction that rarely happens.
sjps220 said:
I just noticed a little chat icon on the left side of my gmail account yesterday. I was wondering what I was supposed to do with it. Having it built into the web browser is nice when on a different computer, since you wont have to make sure a messaging program is installed.
sngx1275 said:
I think this is a terrible idea, gtalk or whatever its called isn't widely used, I've got it set up in Adium on OS X but I only know 3 people other than myself that have a google IM, and they all use other networks as well.The furthest they should go with this, in my opinion, is having their IM client notify you when you get a new gmail. Like Yahoo's IM does.
djleyo said:
yeah!! finally i know a lot of people that have gmail and are looking to try something diff. in IM clientsthe reason google talk never got hype it needed google has been reserved on new software releases but i think this relese is going to get more attention
nathanskywalker said:
Good idea google! Google talk is exceptionaly proficient at preforming it's job, if google manages this, it should be first class. i have had problems with java talk room applications in the past. Still trying to fix the problem as a matter a-fact. But if google is writting the blue print, i have confidence that everything will be fine. A good, solid chat room, no software required, obviously compatible other google applications, and probably able to be modified and customized do to that fact.
Need_a_Dell said:
This is a great idea. I have a Gmail account which I absolutely adore. Not only is Gmail way more reliable compared to other web based email, but the enormous inbox space is a definite plus. Now, the incorporation of an IM is just icing on the cake. The features that will be available will redeem Google's late start in the IM race. I am definitely looking forward to using this new Gmail feature!
Kaleid said:
Read a few days ago somewhere that Google are planning to build their own internet. It wouldn't surprise me they are planning on releasing their own console since they pretty much have their tentacles everywhere.