Dell prepares to use Google software package

By Derek Sooman on February 8, 2006, 2:44 PM
Dell is currently testing a software package from Google that will eventually be pre-installed on Dell machines. The software from Google (which includes a Google-powered Dell home page, Google desktop search and a Google Toolbar) will eventually find its way on to as many as 100 million Dell PCs. The news saw the price of Google's shares fall overnight, amid fears that signing major deals with PC manufacturers would see Google's cost of acquiring new users increase dramatically.

nathanskywalker said:
Good move Dell. They just recently [url]http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6389020.html[/url] Moved to AMD and now they are going to put google on their systems? This is a very good move. Not to mention their home page is going to be even more accessible through googles' tech. Also, this should bring google's stock up a little (i hope). With a company like Dell using google, things have got to get better. That is once people get over this [quote]The news saw the price of Google's shares fall overnight, amid fears that signing major deals with PC manufacturers would see Google's cost of acquiring new users increase dramatically.[/quote] 100 million? I'll take one of those, that is if you don't need all of them :). Oh, yeah, talking dual-core 64 bit AMD Opteron, with google on the side and MS out the window!!! .....ok was wishing again.....
PanicX said:
Dell has not moved to AMD (yet). And be it Google, Norton, or Microsoft, I'm not a fan of preinstalled software. If it was an [b]option[/b] to have extra crap installed on my computer, fine, but when you have no choice and it ships with software you can't easily remove if at all, I'll get my PC elsewhere.
djleyo said:
nice but i wish it would be optional only because not all users cant take advantage of google features the one i would like to see in all dells is google earth full version (no internet connection required)
Vaulden said:
Need_a_Dell said:
[b]Originally posted by Vaulden:[/b][quote]One of the reasons I don't buy pre-built PCs is all the extra software that comes with them. As much as I like the Google apps I'd rather install them myself.[/quote]I agree with Vaulden here. My father bought a Dell XPS system, and as much as I love it, the pre-loaded software is the pits. Most of it I have never used and ended up uninstalling. Unless this Google pack has things in it that are worth while, the pre-loaded package wouldn't sway my purchasing decision.
Race said:
I'm not an advocate of this at all. This brings to mind a time not too long ago when practically every OEM machine you could buy was loaded with AOL stuff.Is it possible that Google could eventually over-expose, or saturate itself to the point of a backlash?On a related note.....One of Dell's selling points is that buyers can 'custom build' a system, but you have little or no choice as to what goes on the hard drive.When I ordered a Dell system 4 or 5 years ago, I asked that they not install anything else but the OS.....just send the software seperately, but I'm sure their agreements with venders stipulate 'installed', so they won't do it.In a perfect world, Dell would make agreements with vendors to include their software 'on the side' if customers request it.
MonkeyMan said:
Well, you just can't get a powerful company down can ya? Google is a multi billion dollar company, and I think they overexaggerated on putting Google software on Dell machines. I think they were just a little frightened, over Googles shares falling overnight, like it has. This is plus for Dell machines, and I'm all for it, but I think it was just a case of stage fright for Google ragarding the drop in shares.
barfarf said:
You right guys preinstalled software sucks. All the aol and norton trial crap installed. It just bogs down the computer. Of course on the other hand dell is cheap and they cheap because they do things like this. Plus i hope their stocks goesu up since i am invested.
phantasm66 said:
First think I always do when having bought a new laptop is wipe the HDD and reinstall.