RIAA claims ripping CDs to your iPod is wrong

By Derek Sooman on February 19, 2006, 9:50 AM
The RIAA has decided that, in its great wisdom, it disagrees with you ripping your own CDs to your own iPod. RIAA and other copyright industry associations have previously submitted a report claiming that space-shifting and format-shifting do not count as noninfringing uses, and that this applies even when you are making copies of your own CDs.

"Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorization, not about fair use."

DragonMaster said:
What?!? That's going a bit TOO FAR!Sales of iPods will just fail if they remove the feature from software...
cyrax said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by cyrax:[/b][quote]I swear one day the riaa is going to say that using your ears to listen to music is wrong. Or worse, your brain is performing a illegal action by remebering songs.[/quote]Well if you think about it, in the future we may have brains that are half machine. We can memorise it totally so would that be a breach of copyright? The RIAA would sue everything in sight, even itself!
lordbf1 said:
This is SO NOT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dam the RIAA all to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I will keep ripping my cd's that I have bought to my ipod that I also bought!!!They can all kiss my butt.\lordbf1
brownpaper said:
RIAA are out of touch ****** who let other companies beat them to a lucrative business opportunity. They are like a desparate bunch of has-beens, clinging to the power and glory they once had. It is uninevitable, the RIAA will die.
crossfire851 said:
This is retarted ,but maybe they think if you are allowed to rip songs from a cd to a iPod then you could also do the same to a friends iPod. But this Bullsnap all in all, and I don't think they should have final say on what's what. You could let a friend borrow a cd. But ripping the music to there iPOD allows then to keep the songs and also so you don't get a returned brand new, skrached to hell cd.
dalejr8tv said:
First no copys of music for ipods but, now no copying cds of music you buy in stores. That breaks down from the cheap way a cd is made as a backup just to let you stick your hand in my back pocket for more la la what the ****.PS.I was a member of imesh at first it was allowed cd burner rights for 2 weeks only,I think! Then riaa says no its not fair.I was paying money legit by law.And we all here BUY cds my god heres a knife cut me bleed me what else do you want? Keep the music!!! Online music by my server lets me hear todays hits and my radio gives me music for free.I'll spend my ching-ching on X-radio.
canadian said:
Wow, the RIAA are almost litterally the lowest form of life on this planet. Its not like you can give music away from your ipod.
ThomasNews said:
I'm surprised they haven't decided to add that CDs are only licensed for use on a single audio player - should you have & wish to use multiple playback devices a multi-use licence must be purchased for the CD.(Bangs head against wall)
Kaleid said:
What? I'll make copy my bought cds to whatever format or apparatus I want thankyouverymuch.
Nukey said:
This is absolutely disgusting. I am not saying with reference to iPods (I have my own negative views on iPods, but won't explain here) but music players in general that abide by copy protection. Something really does need to be done here because although it is true that copying is prohibited, if you are only making one copy for your own use and not sharing it there is no breach because the material isn't leaked.
DragonMaster said:
[quote]it is true that copying is prohibited,[/quote]Sure? Even copying for personal use is not allowed? (Maybe I'm messing up with how it works here in Canada)Anyways, that's not copying, that's ripping. ;-p
dalejr8tv said:
Someone better inform ebay members that they cant't sell cds/dvds anymore it's coyright.I would imag. that it will fell to giving someone a copy of music/software at a great deal then thr ripoff of todays pricings.lol...And I'm selling a SONY dvd/cd burner if anyone wants one CHEAP on ebay!
crossfire851 said:
Burning you know **** the RIAA. This ticks me of so much, Can't rip music to your iPod....Bullsnap [Edited by crossfire851 on 2006-02-21 01:19:23]