Intel aims for 5 hours of battery time in notebooks

By Derek Sooman on February 19, 2006, 10:09 AM
As a laptop aficionado, I often find that notebook battery life is just not enough for my needs. Whether itís playing Quake III on a long train journey or having an extended chat with friends in a cafe over Perl code, watching that battery power drain quickly away is always a worrying sight.

Not to worry, Intel is on the case. Some sources suggest that many devices utilising Intel's upcoming Merom processor will break the five-hour barrier for battery life. The Merom processor, which will be debut as Core Duo T5000 and T7000 series in the fourth quarter of this year, will offer users at least 300 minutes. Intel is on a mission to get operational battery life up to eight hours by 2008.

cyrax said:
5 hours still seems a bit short.I guess its better than nothing.
mentaljedi said:
5 hours for a laptop is the equivelent of 200 years of human life!
seanp789 said:
Its great that intel is reducing power use but the processor is just one of many.The screen, the HD, and more frequently the videocard use a great deal of power and are not changing as fast as the CPU.Major power saving technologies to look forward to:OLED screens - use much less power than current LCDsFLASH memory hybrid - A laptop harddrive with a large flashmemory buffer could reduce power needed to spin the actual harddrive.NEW Batteries - battery tech hasnt had a big leap forward in some time. Personally, I dont think fuel cells for laptops will catch on very quickly.
Julio said:
[b]Originally posted by seanp789:[/b][quote]Its great that intel is reducing power use but the processor is just one of many.[/quote]Agreed 100%. I was about to post a similar comment when I read yours... although it's good to see efforts from both processor makers, it will take other technologies to develop (screens, storage, etc.) in order to reach new heights of battery life.For the next year or so, you better watch out of the marketing gimmicks from both Intel and AMD.
DragonMaster said:
What?!? Laptops are lasting less time than that? My old b&w Toshiba lasts 2-3 hours...Couldn't they build say... older CPUs/GPUs in 45nm? An Athlon XP 2000+ with a GF4 Ti4200 still runs fine for most tasks! ;-) (No games I've tried require the crappiest graphic quality to run with a good FPS)
canadian said:
Hmmm, how long till 10 hour batteries?
Mictlantecuhtli said:
[b]Originally posted by seanp789:[/b][quote]Its great that intel is reducing power use but the processor is just one of many.The screen, the HD, and more frequently the videocard use a great deal of power and are not changing as fast as the CPU.[/quote]My experiences with my laptop show that the LCD display backlight uses battery the most when CPU is not doing much and brightness is set to high. I get about five and a half hours of battery time (50 Wh battery) with normal desktop usage (with display brightness low) - not 3D gaming, so I'd say the CPU matters.
Nukey said:
Although five hours is not exactly great, it's a good start. Its just a case of holding tight for further future developments. It is always more difficult what with new and more power hungry components coming out on the market but there definately will be developments in the near future :)
PanicX said:
With every other technology growing by leaps and bounds every year. I still can't understand why battery technology is going almost no where. We've been promised Fuel Cell batteries for years now and nothing. If battery technology grew as fast as CPU tech, we'd have laptops running P4EE's with 2 weeks between recharges.