Nintendo accuses Sony of stealing ideas

By Justin Mann on May 19, 2006, 8:35 PM
As innovative as the “Wii” is going to be (after all, you gotta be pretty innovative with a name like that), Nintendo isn't quite happy with how different it is from the other consoles and as such is accusing outright accusing Sony of stealing the idea for their motion-sensing controller. While they haven't brought it as far as a lawsuit(which is unlikely to happen), they do have a good point in that Sony dropped their originally controller design mid-development to push the new one.

"I'd love to dig up some old Phil Harrison (president of Sony Computer Entertainment) comments and say, 'Hang on a second--six months ago when we launched our controller you said one thing, and now why are you doing this,'" GameDailyBiz quoted Nintendo UK's David Yarnton as saying. "I don't know what their decision-making process is, but I think if you look back, any innovation that has come in game play has come from us."
True or not, it's easy to see what this really is, and that is Nintendo getting just a little bit scared about both the 360 and the PS3 being out before Wii (potentially). Nintendo's success of the DS won't be able to carry them much longer, and having 3 large next-gen consoles may be a bit much for some.

insidious420 said:
Let's compare and review the evolution of Nintendo & Sony game controllers to see what Nintendo brought out first and Sony later copied:NES: D-Pad; 2 action buttons; Select & Start buttons.Super NES: 2 additional action buttons (4 total); first ever implementation of 2 trigger/shoulder buttons.Playstation 1: Exact controller layout of Super NES with renamed buttons; 2 additional triggers (4 total).Nintendo 64: First ever implementation of analogue joystick control; first ever implementation of 'Rumble' force feedback; 4 'Camera Buttons' hints at idea of dual analogue sticks.Playstation 1: Sony revamps controller, adds 2 analogue joysticks and force feedback. Coincidence? LOL, no.Gamecube: Extremely ergonomic (IMO, the best feeling console controller ever made); 2nd analogue 'C-stick' added; face button layout changed in an attempt to simplify and streamline player interaction; trigger buttons given analogue sensitivity.Playstation 2: Exact same design as Playstation 1; analogue sensitivity added to every face & trigger button.Wii: Revolutionary dual-hand 3D motion sensing controller; speaker built in to controller; force feedback; extension port on controller for future upgradability. Nintendo may as well have made full virtual reality gloves, which I'm sure will be in the next generation.Playstation 3: Exact same design as Playstation 1 & 2; force feedback removed; limited motion sensing capabilities added (at the last minute). Coincidence? LOL, no again.So in summation I don't think Nintendo is "scared about both the 360 and the PS3 being out before Wii (potentially)", I think they are finally pissed off enough with Sony copying everything they do to finally make a public statement about it. Sony blatantly copied and slapped Nintendo in the face at this year's E3 by including shoddy motion sensitivity in their controller at the last minute, evidenced by ONLY ONE PS3 GAME at the show demonstrating the feature.I own every Nintendo system, Playstation 2 and Xbox. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, I simply have more respect for them than the other companies; they are typically the only company willing to take huge risks to innovate in an old industry (that they essentially brought back from the dead with the NES).I own all 3 current-gen systems because each have exclusive games I want to play. However, I think Sony is the one who should be scared this round; there's no way in hell I (and probably many others) will pay $500 for the LOWER END VERSION of PS3 when I can buy Wii and X360 (which will go down in price when Wii launches) for at most $500. No matter how many exclusive titles PS3 has, I probably will not buy it at this rate, especially on top of the fact that many former Playstation exclusives are now migrating to X360 because of its headstart release.[Edited by insidious420 on 2006-05-19 21:29:57][Edited by insidious420 on 2006-05-19 21:31:26]
allc0re said:
Scared? Maybe a little, but it still sounds to me like someone at Sony saw what Nintendo was developing and decided that they should mimic it. I'm getting the next Nintendo system even if they call it Pii. :)
insidious420 said:
LOL "Pii" :) Hey that might not be a bad name because then they could call their next Gameboy the "Pii Wii". LOL, lame, I know.
plague said:
Does that mean Nintendo has been stealing it's brilliant ideas from the PC controler market?
Xavien said:
The PC Controller market is possibly more behind then both Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo added the analogue stick long before it was added to PC controllers, nintendo had the NES and SNES pads out long before the PC controller market added many of the features from those pads. (hell was there even a controller back then or just joysticks?). The rumble function was an add-on for the N64 long before it was added as standard to any PC controller.The Gyroscopic tech inside the Wii controller, is a tiny tiny amount of the sheer amount of tech inside the controller, IR sensors, Gyroscopes, Accelerometers, Rumble, speaker even the sensor bar creates an IR 'wall' that is used to trianglate the Wiimotes position in 3D space. Not to mention the add-on port at the bottom of the Wiimote to add various add-ons (like the gun shell and the nunchuck and even the classic shell).im sorry but beside some old gyrometer tech (which i might add is what Sony added into their Dual Shock 3, at the expense of a rumble feature) that was in Microsoft pads a long while ago, there is nothing out there in the PC controller market that even comes close to matching the abilities of the Wiimote.btw i would like the mention yes i am a nintendo fan (not boy), but that doesn't mean i dont buy other consoles too, i brought a GCN and a PS2 last generation and it seems this generation the Wii and the Xbox 360 seems the best finacial choice this generation. (only FF13 has me interested in the PS3 and thats all)Not to mention i can buy a pretty cheap add-on for the Xbox 360 sometime down the road, if/when i want to play HD-DVD's.
insidious420 said:
Xavien: good points all around, especially bout PC controllers... I'm pretty sure they've ALWAYS been behind the tech curve compared to consoles.Like you pointed out, I think the fact that PS3's limited gyrometer tech is not nearly as accurate, immersive & innovative as Wii's is a clear sign that Sony just threw in a cheap, comparitve feature at the last minute -- because SONY is scared, NOT Nintendo :)Sony & Nintendo are both making risky gambles with their hardware, but for different reasons: Sony for relying on an untested and expensive storage medium (Blueray) and a ridiculously steep PS3 pricing plan because of it ($500 for low-end, $600 for high-end); and Nintendo with a completely new controller UI and comparably weak system hardware.It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. My money's on Nintendo making a big comeback.
insidious420 said:
cringer8 said:
There wouldn't BE a Playstation without Nintendo. The original Playstation system was a joint project between Nintendo and Sony. It was going to be a Nintendo system with Sony disc technology. Nintendo WISELY backed out of the project when they saw the failure of the 3D0, Jaguar, and Saturn. Sony decided to go ahead with it and used the technology they had gotten form Nintendo to make the thing work. So, Sony's Playstation dynasty is built on a foundation of swiping Nintendo's ideas.As for the release date, Justin Mann should get his facts straight. The Wii will be on shelves before PS3, guaranteed. And Nintendo has stated time and time again, they are no longer competing with anyone, since they have moved on and their previous competitors are stuck in a "pixel shading" rut. All of you self-proclaimed "hardcore" gamers should stop and think, "do I even OWN an HD compatible TV?" You probably don't, and shouldn't waste your hard earned Taco Bell paycheck on something you can't even fully enjoy.
mNag said:
All of this "Justin Mann's" posts wreak of Sony fanboyism. GTFO tech reporting.
rhlin88 said:
canadian said:
Well, I know alot more people that want a Wii, than they want a PS3. I really think that as long as Nintendo plays this right, and has a good mini-OS, good games, and hopfully lots of features, like I hope, DVD playback, and the ability to use some standard addons (Like, possibly USB devices?)
Xavien said:
[b]Originally posted by rhlin88:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by insidious420:[/b][quote]I hate to post again but I really think it's ridiculous for the writer of this article to say "True or not, it's easy to see what this really is, and that is Nintendo getting just a little bit scared about both the 360 and the PS3 being out before Wii (potentially)" when it's crystal clear that before, during, and after E3, all attention was on Nintendo. Case in point:[url]http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/e3nint
ndorunningawaywithe32006.shtml[/url]30 min lines to play PS3 vs. 4 hour lines to play Wii... because it sucks? Probably not... so why would Nintendo be scared...?[Edited by insidious420 on 2006-05-20 00:07:02][/quote]Responding to insidious420 one point of " when it's crystal clear that before, during, and after E3, all attention was on Nintendo." I only wanted to say that was entirely wrong. "People waited in line. Then when they got done, they formed little lines behind each individual kiosk. These lines blocked entire hallways easily blocking people from moving through. " For more info: [url]http://www.ps3portal.com/ps3/article/399.html[/url] So in reality, nobody really stole the show. It was whether you had the patience to wait in an entirely flawed line. Don't want to reak of stench of fanboyism but thats one of the things that I read that I had found interesting.[/quote]Um, you are quoting a PS3-only website for news on the line and Sony Fanboyism about how the line was 'artifically' generated. AnandTech, IGN and gamespot, un-biased news sites all reported a massive normally generated line at nintendo's booth. AnandTech even went to comment there was some 100 Wii stations at nintendo's booth which is usually more than enough, for any booth.I could give you counter articles, from Gamespot, anandtech and IGN but im not that obsessed :)The line was real, the line was normally generated and the line broke all E3 records since its creation more than 10 years ago. All sony fanboys i guess are just gonna have to deal with it.
insidious420 said:
cringer8: good point on the SNES Sony CD add-on, I forgot to mention that :)rhlin88: I had more than one point about the Wii line - read my first reply in here; Sony owes a LOT to Nintendo for where they are today. I know I didn't cite any links as proof, but 5 minutes of Googling would easily validate any of my points.It seems to me that Sony only has exclusive titles as its main selling point. I love Metal Gear, Final Fantasy (and IMO, FF is starting to get a little old), & Grand Theft Auto (which isn't exclusive anymore); Sony's losing some ground, on top of the astronomical $500-$600 system price.What would be really sweet is if Sony & Nintendo got together NOW to cooperate on a console: PS3-ish caliber hardware + Wii's controller + an affordable price would be sweet. It's getting ridiculous having to choose between 3 consoles every generation :P