Ageia responds to ATI's statements at Computex

By Justin Mann on June 9, 2006, 12:06 PM
At Computex, ATI made some bold statements revolving around their new technology that will allow three Radeons to be used in one machine, with one dedicated to physics processing. Part of that involved them saying that their system was faster than using an Ageia PhysX solution. Ageia has struck back, so to speak, to show the differences between ATI's approach and theirs. One very interesting note and one that makes a lot of sense was as follows:

Graphics processors are designed for graphics. Physics is an entirely different environment. Why would you sacrifice graphics performance for questionable physics? You’ll be hard pressed to find game developers who don’t want to use all the graphics power they can get, thus leaving very little for anything else in that chip.
Ultimately, ATI's solution was referred to as “questionable”, which is almost comedic. ATI definitely upset Ageia, and now they will be both entering the ring of 3D desktop games and duking it out to see who really offers the best performance.

buttus said:
I was actually excited about the concept of this product and to an extent I still am.Fact is even though I have a good video card and a 19" LCD, I still run most games at 1280 res. In that particular case I could be one that would benefit from the added physics as I am not running at super high res.That being said however...I wouldn't invest in this company nor the technology. Nvidia has a software solution and ATI with the new R600 has found a cheap hardware solution to adding physics into the equation.This company will go the way of the dodo, Newton, or the Sierra PCMCIA wireless card for the iPaq.
DragonMaster said:
[quote]I still run most games at 1280 res. In that particular case I could be one that would benefit from the added physics as I am not running at super high res. [/quote]I run games here run at 1024 or less.[quote]Why would you sacrifice graphics performance for questionable physics?[/quote]Why are there graphic slowdowns with the Ageia card already? The physics that need much more graphic power.Ageia or ATi, you use an other card just for that. Plus, if you already have the X1600 you're happy to know that you didn't waste a graphic card if you want to upgrade. I'm not sure that the X1000 series are made to work with graphics only. These cards are also able to encode and decode videos.
Canadian said:
I am just waiting for either a second generation, or more games to support it, and the price to drop.
9Nails said:
Dito to waiting for games to support it.Fully engage Half-Life 2, Unreal and Doom based engine support out there and they will come.I would also like to see some Oblivion support. But it might be a little late for it.
9Nails said:
[b]Originally posted by DragonMaster:[/b][quote][i]Why would you sacrifice graphics performance for questionable physics?[/i]Why are there graphic slowdowns with the Ageia card already? The physics that need much more graphic power.Ageia or ATi, you use an other card just for that. Plus, if you already have the X1600 you're happy to know that you didn't waste a graphic card if you want to upgrade. I'm not sure that the X1000 series are made to work with graphics only. These cards are also able to encode and decode videos.[/quote]ATi had initially said that they can write a shader function to perform physics in the video card. Ageia is responding that such an implementation would take cycles out of your GPU which in turn sacrifices the video performance to provide the player with the extra physics. In other words, the shader functions on an ATi card wouldn't be free. Whereas Ageia plus a GPU would give the player the best quality.If you're proposing two PCI-E cards in a system, that might be a little tricky. I'm still running AGP in my system. The Ageia's PCI card looks far more attractive for upgrading than finding a mobo which supports the ATi Crossfire platform.
mirob said:
It's two cards in crossfire and a x1600(or better) for physics with a RD600 mobo. ATi has said video cards may be used for audio processing as well.
DragonMaster said:
[quote] It's two cards in crossfire and a x1600(or better) for physics with a RD600 mobo.[/quote]Apparently it can work with only a X1600 and an other card.[quote]Ageia is responding that such an implementation would take cycles out of your GPU which in turn sacrifices the video performance to provide the player with the extra physics. In other words, the shader functions on an ATi card wouldn't be free. Whereas Ageia plus a GPU would give the player the best quality. [/quote]Isn't there a GPU just for physics? It's then not really used for graphics anymore so where's the problem?