Xbox 360 HD-DVD to be the cheapest player available?

By Derek Sooman on August 10, 2006, 5:07 AM
Microsoft has promised that the HD DVD solution to be made available for the Xbox 360, due for release later this year, will be the cheapest HD DVD Player on the market.

The company recently demonstrated the HD DVD player for the Xbox 360 at the DVD Forum event in Los Angeles, and although an exact price has yet to be made known, many are expecting a price point somewhere in the region of $200, which is very reasonable indeed. However, Microsoft's director of global marketing, Albert Penello, has said that the company has as yet not finalized the price of the HD DVD player internally.

"Here's the truth, we're still thinking about it. Here's what I can tell you for sure, it's going to be the cheapest HD-DVD player you can buy... without a doubt, when it comes out," said Penello. "Everybody is very enthusiastic with the direction we're going. There are still a few surprises left. I don't want to spill the beans yet, but I think people are going to think it's a great value."
The cheapest HD DVD players on the market currently cost in the region of $400 to $500. However, since the Xbox 360 itself will be handling a lot of the work involved in the necessary processing, the Microsoft player will be substantially cheaper.

Didou said:
The HD-DVD drive will be cheaper but you will need an Xbox 360 to make it work so that's not saying much. If they were saying that the Xbox + the HD-DVD drive would be the cheapest HD-DVD player then it would be interesting. ;)
Julio said:
Right... but I guess that if you already own a new Xbox then it becomes the cheaper choice.
smtkr said:
Didou said:
I'm also wondering about the video output. Watching a DVD on the Xbox 360 is quite gruesome to say the least. I hope it will be better with the HD-DVD drive & the HDMI output.
Phantasm66 said:
I don't own an Xbox 360, and have no intention of ever owning one, or any other games console for that matter, so its kind of academic for me.Best solution for me would be to expand on what I presently do for DVDs, i.e multimedia server connected to TV with HD-DVD drive. Maybe go for one of the combo Blu-Ray / HD-DVD drives that are being talked about. I guess a graphics card update would be needed to support the higher resolutions on the TV, though, or maybe not.
Didou said:
You would probably need a VGA card with HDMI output so that once the Hollywood studios decide to screw people by activating the DRM on HD-DVD/Blu-Ray movies, you'll be covered.
PitbulI said:
I still have to wonder if Microsoft will make a price drop then incorporate the new HD-DVD drive into the system. I know they are saying they won't do it but they already have 2 sku's out with the 360. Sony is making 2 sku's with the PS3 at least. I feel down the line they will make a XBox 360 Plat cost $399 CAD but for the $499 price they will make it the Ultra or Ultimate or something with the HD-DVD drive inside the system. So instead of a 200 dollar add on they will probably make it part of the system when the 2007 holiday season comes.I will be thinking about a HD-DVD drive if it's cheap enough and it looks like HD-DVD will take off. If it doesn't take off then I'll wait to see a hybrid drive or format winner.
Berserk_Fury said:
[b]Originally posted by smtkr:[/b][quote]So, if you want 360+HD-DVD, you pay...the same price as PS3+Blu-ray. interesting[/quote]Xbox fans have been using the price of PS3 as their main stand to preference of 360. But if they will need HD-DVD's for future gaming, what is the point of getting a 360? I mean everyone knows that PS3 has better harware, and Blu-ray supports higher video resolution, and it will have the drive built in unlike the external drive for the 360.