Both high-definition DVD formats to flop?

By Derek Sooman on August 11, 2006, 4:22 AM
A research firm, Screen Digest, has predicted that the forthcoming next generation DVD format war will result in confusion for consumers, ultimately leading to them becoming confused and turned off from the whole high-definition DVD technology arena. This may lead to the failure of both formats in the end.

The London-based market research analyst has also predicted that of the $39 billion expected to be spent on video discs by 2010 in the United States, Europe and Japan, only $11 billion will actually be spent. Consumer appetite for the whole high definition disc format will be dampened by the format war, and the two formats will likely co-exist side by side until a combined solution becomes viable and effective.

All of the Hollywood studios, except Universal, have said they will release movies on Blu-ray, with the first players and titles having launched earlier this year.

While only three of the major studios have said they will release movies in HD-DVD, Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) has thrown its weight behind the format, supporting it in the Windows Vista PC operating system and offering an external drive to connect to its Xbox 360 game console.

What will the result ultimately be? Will both formats die out, giving way to a new, hybrid format? Or will one format win? As they said in Highlander (1986), in the end, there can be only one.

Rage_3k_Moiz said:
What rubbish! HD-DVD already has a better chance due to consumers identifying the word DVD as the latest universal standard in home entertainment, as far as movies are concerned. DVD has become a cultural phenomenon of sorts and also, fact is Blu-Ray movies are supposed to be of lower quality due to them using the older MPEG-2 codec versus the AC-1 codec being used by HD-DVDs. In any case, both formats dying out seems a very distant possibility.
Tedster said:
I would differ with you. I have no intention of getting either format. The current DVD format is plenty good for me.
spike said:
Sorry, but I agree with Tedster.If it hadn't been for all this ultimately futile nonsense over anti-piracy measures in the format, one of them might have stood a chance. As it is now, I'm sick of hearing about them both, I see the producers of each format to be out for themselves without caring about the consumer at all (never a good omen), and DVD is currently good enough for me.I'd like more storage on a disc, but I wan't the disk I use to be a format I know will work everywhere. With what DVD can do now, I have just that. Personally I couldn't care less about either right now, because niether is particularly forthcoming and both have distinct and importand disadvantages over the other.When a combined format or a cheap and commonly available/used combo drive is available, THEN I might become interested in using it again.
Phantasm66 said:
[quote]As it is now, I'm sick of hearing about them both, I see the producers of each format to be out for themselves without caring about the consumer at all (never a good omen), and DVD is currently good enough for me.[/quote]I agree. The whole thing seems so motivated by self interest, profit and appeasing media companies that I am almost tempted not to bother with any of it at all. I am certainly not planning to rush out and buy either format.
fargen said:
Until this format war, I have always been an early adopter of home theater electronics. This time, however, I am tired of the greed and arrogance displayed by these companies. Until they can compromise and come out with a hybrid or single solution, they won't get a dime of my money.
luvhuffer said:
InPhase's holographic data storage technology, "Tapestry" is already a reality. The media is already being used for broadcasting. It won't be long before it will be available to end users. We're talking 800GB's to 1.6 TB's! The HD DVD and Blue Ray people are already under attack for price fixin in the EU. I'm gonna wait.[url]http://www.inphase-technologies.com/technology/ind
x.html[/url]
Race said:
Wow Tedster..............if standard DVD is good enough for you, I suppose everyone has an opinion.................but.....with a 1080p HDTV and a blue-ray recorder/player, the picture is nothing short of stunning, blowing away standard DVD. Personally, I can hardly wait until the price comes down a bit so I can pick up one of these units. (Best Buy has this particular set-up in their stores if you haven't seen it)Eventually, I'm expecting a player that covers both formats.
Negative_Pulse said:
Race... Do you have a 1080p bigscreen? How about a blue-ray hooked up to it? Its one thing to see it on the store floor and a completely different thing to have it setup in your living room.I raced out to buy a 57" 1080i HDTV soon as my cable company offered the first 4 "hi-def" channels. I even sprang for a set-top box with a built in harddrive and a DVI connection. While i love watching true hi-def (PBS is the best for this. Its all way over-rated. In fact, im looking to sell my TV now, along with my set-top box. Simple fact is, you end up spending thousands for a picture that is a little sharper and has a little better color.