IE7 finally here!

By Derek Sooman on October 19, 2006, 7:18 AM
Internet Explorer 7 is finally here! The next version of the Microsoft browser is now available for download, eight months after Bill Gates announced plans to deliver it. This is the first update to the browser since the release of IE6 in August 2001 - and hasn't the Internet changed in that time!

Reflecting these myriad changes in the Internet landscape, IE7 has several new features, including support for HTML 4.01, CSS 2, tabbed browsing, an integrated RSS feed reader, improved anti-phishing features and much, much more.

Security is another matter: Microsoft is touting IE7 as the most secure Microsoft browser so far, but those words may well come back to haunt them - probably quite soon. Already security gurus have uncovered an information disclosure vulnerability in IE7, which could be used in various phishing attacks.

So far, only the English version of IE7 for XP is available, with Arabic, Finnish, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish language versions coming some time in the next two weeks or so. Stay tuned.

The new version currently available works on Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed, as well as Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows 64-bit Edition. Already, there is a customised version from Yahoo! that no doubt comes with toolbars and all sorts of stuff added.

"With each release, your feedback helped us make IE7 better. Your contributions, ideas, and direct comments were crucial in helping us prioritize and focus our work," IE general manager Dean Hachamovitch said. "I canít imagine delivering this product without the tremendous cooperation we enjoyed from so many of you as well as developers and partners."

hagane7 said:
I'll stick to Firefox. No way I'm gonna use IE7!
wolfram said:
I just installed it, but I didn't like it. And it still has security issues. I'll stick to Firefox too :)
phantasm66 said:
I just installed it. It never launched first time after even a reboot after installation, and I had to reboot again. Next time it worked fine and I am writing this message to you using it. I'm keeping an eye on it, though.
nathanskywalker said:
I've had the beta scince....whenever it came out, thought it looked pretty cool, just couldn't make myself use IE however. So it got put on the backshelf. Looks nice, but firefox is marginally more (ok a little more than marginally) safer to use than IE, and opera beats them both by a mile (excluding add ons and themes). So i mostly use firefox and opera, sorry MS, IE7 just doesn't cut it.
hagane7 said:
Is IE7 pass the Second Acid Test? Can someone tell me? I hope it'll!
evrybdy said:
I am just trying out the new release of IE7, and find it interesting all the debate about this release versus the Firefox download. One of the most interesting aspects of the IE vs. Firefox battle is the development of the ecosystem of extensions or add-ons. Itís not just about bugs and features. Right now Firefox had a great advantage in this space but you can see Microsoft trying to catch up.I noticed an interesting extension called Trailfire, set up as a recommended download for IE7. See link:[url]http://www.ieaddons.com/SearchResults.aspx?keyword
=trailfire[/url]I think the ecosystem for Firefox and IE will decide who wins this battle. What do you think?
Phantasm66 said:
There still appears to be features in Firefox that are missing from IE7.
jtickner1 said:
opera all tha way
bwchato said:
if you go to the Mozilla website you can find anything that I.E.7 could possibly have and more.I only use it when i have no other choice.I have been using Firefox since it first came out.In fact i'm using it on a Linux box right now.
phantasm66 said:
Seems to be going just fine and dandy now.
me2babe said:
[b]Originally posted by hagane7:[/b][quote]I'll stick to Firefox. No way I'm gonna use IE7![/quote]I'll stick with Firefox. You know there are too many so called "smart" people out there who don't use their heads. Microsoft has all the money in the world to "Fix" their problems, Firefox, Opera etc have Security Flaws as well, who has the tech and money to fix these issues? Come On! Sounds like a bunch of DEMOCRATES! I've used IE my whole computing life and have NEVER had a problem! Go get your Starbucks, or go buy an APPLE!
gordholio said:
I installed IE7 (I am a Firefox fan and have Firefox 2 RC3 installed).IE7 is a definite improvement over the previous IE, but not quite up to the Firefox standard; however, there is one feature in the new IE that I wish Firefox would adopt.You can make your own custom search engine very easily in IE7, by just going to the website and using the word, "TEST" (spelled in capitals) to do a search.You cut and paste the resulting address in the IE7 custom search engine page and then just give it a name (for example IsoHunt).It is a very smart feature and easy enough for even novices to use.Just giving credit for a smart idea, where credit is due.
zephead said:
oh boy, IE 7! i can't wait to see how good it is ;)
gars said:
[url]www.ie7.com[/url]ill wait till sp1 for ie7 ;)