Microsoft changes Vista licence terms for the better

By on November 2, 2006, 2:44 PM
Only weeks before the final version of Windows Vista makes its public debut, Microsoft has made a revision to its retail licensing terms taking into major consideration the many complaints from the enthusiast community during the past few weeks. This should come as great news and a big win to everyone:

Iím very pleased to let you know you this morning (or afternoon, or evening, depending on where you are when you read this) that the Windows division has revised the retail license terms for Windows Vista in a significant way. Namely, the terms regarding license-to-device assignment of the retail product (including Home Basic, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate) now read as follows:
* You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.

You can find the newly-revised retail license terms here, as Iím sure youíll want to read them for yourself. Our intention behind the original terms was genuinely geared toward combating piracy; however, itís become clear to us that those original terms were perceived as adversely affecting an important group of customers: PC and hardware enthusiasts. You who comprise the enthusiast market are vital to us for several reasons, not least of all because of the support youíve provided us throughout the development of Windows Vista. We respect the time and expense you go to in customizing, building and rebuilding your hardware and we heard you that the previous terms were seen as an impediment to that -- itís for that reason weíve made this change. I hope that this change provides the flexibility you need, and gives you more reason to be excited about the upcoming retail release of our new operating system.

darkshadoe said:
Kinda sounds like a bargining ploy like they do to unions. They get everyone all worked up about a certain thing to draw attention from something else.
nathanskywalker said:
Now, if i understand this correctly, this is indeed very good news. My concern, however, would be "what happens if windows crashes?" Though i suppose they do have that covered. Still, even with this, that is just to much of a price tag, think i'm good with xp for a very long while.
Soul Harvester said:
A good move from Microsoft. Considering that the only terms I'd buy a license for Vista would be under one that allows me to move it from machine to machine, this actually might change my mind on buying a copy.
Phantasm66 said:
Now I'm buying it. Seriously - paying for it out of my own pocket and not stealing it from work or downloading a cracked version. Now I'll buy it. Now I have some faith in them again.
gbe300 said:
First ... took the greedy pigs long enough. Secondly what about XP ? I may not have understood this but does this or does it not apply to windows XP? I personally will not be looking to buy Vista any time soon, but I would like to have the same bang for my buck with the XP licenses I own.
bushwhacker said:
Again, im not buying Vista's story. Like i said in past news, im sticking on Windows XP Pro SP2 (JoeMama1969 OS) and Linux Kubuntu.
otester said:
Just to clarify this means:I can install on 1 PC, no limit on activations, no limit on movement between PC's as long as only remains on one of them?
Julio said:
crossfire851 said:
[b]Originally posted by Julio:[/b][quote]I think the big win here besides the modification to the terms themselves is Microsoft's recognition towards the enthusiast community. They are quite aware that we are early adapters, and we can drive change.PS: Licence works, too. Pardon my non-100% american english.[/quote]I seemed to have no problem comprehending it. I wonder what effect this will have on new software released by M$?
sTharsdan said:
I clearly remember these same comments a few months before the original XP release...I'm not buying it...No way... and look, you did.
otester said:
Well XP (official cd) can be installed on mutliple computers and unlimited reactivations, thats ok right?
misiu_mp said:
Since the licence mentions uninstalling the software, I would like to see an "uninstall windows" button somewhere in the start menu. Dont they keep a register of activated licences or something like that? Or is there any actual mechanism enforcing the install-on-one-machine-licence? Because if there is, the uninstallation would have to notify that register.