Dell offers desktops with no OS or software

By Justin Mann on January 25, 2007, 12:07 PM
It's always been funny watching Dell's back-and-forth between offering systems without Windows and requiring it. Two years ago, hilarity ensued when Windows become optional on some models, but removing it from the system did not reduce the price of it. They seem to be learning from their ways, however, and recently have started offering several desktop models with no OS at all, with prices to reflect it. While of course that brings along no software warranty with it, that is exactly what many people want.

They're offering some older-gen technology, sadly enough, with these, sporting the Pentium D 820 and the X2 3800+, though the prices reflect this as well. If you're looking for a cheap system with just the hardware and don't want to build it yourself, they're definitely worth looking at.

Phantasm66 said:
Now folks that use Linux don't have to pay the Microsoft tax. I see this as a step forward.
nathanskywalker said:
GREAT! I hope this doesn't make things more complicated for Dell, but this is good news for the consumer. I certainly hope they do this with notebooks as well.
Phantasm66 said:
[b]Originally posted by nathanskywalker:[/b][quote]I certainly hope they do this with notebooks as well.[/quote]Me too.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Not good enough. I can't find those models from Dell's website anywhere. I can get to the E520 and C521 pages but the n models are nowhere to be seen.Why do they have to make it so difficult? Yet they have to advertise that they recommend XP Pro on every page.
JohnP@Dell said:
eries?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&redirect=1[/url][url]http://ww
.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nseries_nb?c=us&c
=04&l=en&s=bsd[/url]
Phantasm66 said:
[b]Originally posted by JohnP@Dell:[/b][quote]Sorry you're having problems getting to the information on Dell.com. Here are direct links to Dell desktops and notebooks that are now available sans OS.[url]http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/n
eries?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&redirect=1[/url][url]http://ww
.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nseries_nb?c=us&c
=04&l=en&s=bsd[/url][/quote]Thanks for providing this to the readers.
Phantasm66 said:
More companies should do this.
ThomasNews said:
Microsoft tax? Hah, that's hilarious :)
Mictlantecuhtli said:
Yes, those are direct links. I was asking why the products aren't mentioned on the normal products page. Furthermore, I live in the EU, so I guess I'd be out of luck anyhow.