UK broadband company Virgin offers 20Mbit lines

By Justin Mann on March 1, 2007, 4:31 PM
UK citizens who subscribe to Virgin are in for a bit of treat, as the company has decide to expand their services and offer 20Mbit service to their customers. Doubling their current maximum offerings of 10Mbit, and currently working with a trial 50Mbit service, they are offering these incredibly fast speeds to further compete with ADSL2+ lines, which are now offering up to 16Mbit. Virgin was happy with the success of 10Mbit offerings and feels confident that they actually can provide those speeds:

The statement continued, 'Customers can receive consistent speeds and a top speed of 10Mbit is available throughout our broadband addressable areas. We will be increasing this to 20Mbit in June and we are also currently conducting a residential trial of a 50Mbit broadband service.'
These speeds seem incredible to us, yet at the same time many countries are offering 100Mbit connections at home. Of course, numerous factors play in to that, such as when the technologies were first deployed. In the U.S., most broadband lines are much slower than this, with some cable providers only recently offering bursts to 20Mbit or higher.

krono6 said:
This isn't that incredible, considering that Be has been rolling out 24Mbit Downstream (1.3Mbit Upstream) for years in the UK (literally). [url]http://www.bethere.co.uk[/url]
otester said:
Funny that only people in major cities can get, 90% of the UK is still on 512kb
nathanskywalker said:
Suddenly my budget 3mb line feels even smaller.
Phantasm66 said:
When they lost the Sky channels on the Virgin TV recently, I phoned and complained. They slashed my bills and bumped me up to 10MB for free. Its flying.
bisphambear said:
Been with what is now Vigin Media, previously Telewest for over 10 years, went broadband asp when it was offered and have never got less than was offered. Now on 10mb download (9 out of ten times always get more 11-12mb) 512 upload (always get 700kbps).20mb well if its as good as I am getting now then roll on JUNE.
Phantasm66 said:
I certainly can't complain about the broadband. I think that the TV is a little slow and annoying and the ondemand stuff does not always kick in, but for the broadband I really have no complaints.Loosing Sky One (and other Sky stuff) sucks (kind of seems like its not real, really...goodbye loads of great shows!)) but at the end of the day, it would suck to loose such a great broadband service so I'm not switching.