Study finds only 12% of users will upgrade to Vista

By Justin Mann on April 4, 2007, 9:05 PM
How well are the Vista upgrades going? While there's been little in the way of Vista causing issues during rollovers, it seems for the most part people are just staying away. In a recent (small) study, it was found that only around 12% of those aware of Vista planned to upgrade. Of those, around a third planned to upgrade in the easiest method possible: buying a new PC. These numbers aren't anything special compared to previous Windows releases, such as the launch of Windows XP. Is the “Wow Starts Now” campaign failing? Or is there simply not enough incentive for people to switch?

The study found some other interesting information, and is worth a look. However, with such a small sample, it must be taken with a grain of salt. It'd be more interesting to see figures taken from a much larger group.

Strakian said:
Canadian said:
I think Vista is ready for gaming....Atleast its working for all the games I play. I have yet to find anything "unstable"
jrbacon said:
Gotta go with Strakian on this one. Installed Vista, and have had nothing but trouble. As bout as stable as a six year old on crack
Canadian said:
Really?! What problems are you encountering?
PanicX said:
I've recently installed 4 Vista Business workstations on one of my networks. The number of issues I've encounter has been significant. The biggest issue I've encountered is pure lack of support for many common applications and devices, including, Windows Small Business Server 2003, Kaspersky Antivirus, HP printer drivers, and UltraVNC. One thing that I have been impressed with is the UAC. Being able to perform administrative tasks without being logged in as an admin has been LONG overdue.
Julio said:
Personally I haven't had a problem with Vista that was not to be expected for a brand new OS. Full driver and program support is supposed to come eventually, although I must sympathize with those that want to take advantage of the new OS now, but are having a hard time with compatibility. Luckily for me, the upgrade went almost without a hiccup.I should also note that I run the x86 version. I have heard more than a nightmare story with the 64-bit only version.As for Vista adoption, it's to be expected that a large portion of users will come from new system buys. There is a lot of people not needing the upgrade for one reason or the other, and IMHO, Windows XP SP2 has reached a point that it's a fairly usable and stable OS for most users.
windmill007 said:
lordbf1 said:
[b]Originally posted by windmill007:[/b][quote]Vista to me is XP all shined and bloated up. I mean really what is the advatage of that over XP? It requires more memory and horsepower not because its better but because its bloated with DRM and all kinds of crap.I also dissagree...I think the UAC is and will be a big problem. It does not address any problem other than causing pop ups that people will in time ignore so really won't help anyone. Sure I could see the need to run as admin but do we really need these pop ups? Its almost like Vista is Spyware...LOL!! I am a power user and will stay away from Vista till I'm forced to upgrade because everyone else has or they move onto something better. i really hope its something better because I for one like my OS running lean and mean. Sure "pretty" is nice looking but not at the expense of Power and Speed. Plus DRM is no good!! Finially some music companies are seeing that DRM free is the way to go. Trust people don't treat them like criminals. Just lower prices and you will see most people would gladly pay for things.[/quote]AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
otester said:
Vista sucks, it's just "XP all shined and bloated up" + big price tag + privacy intrusion and DX10 which will eventually force everyone to make the jump.I however do not see myself jumping ever until the next Unreal engine forces me to, and I will keep my old XP system on another HD.Crysis is over hyped, appearence is good but gameplay will be poor like with all EA games, not forfilling its potential. BF2142 being an example of another screw up.
Julio said:
EA is not the developer of Crysis, Crytek is. Those are the same developers of the acclaimed (and in my opinion under rated) Far Cry.
Coth said:
For myself Windows XP SP2 is by FAR the best PC operating system I have ever used. I feel bad for MS putting a product out that seems unfinished. I would have waited a year until 90% of the devices out there had drivers and kinks taken out. Mac OSX is the best OS out there in terms of stability and device installation - plug it in and that's it! Back to Vista, I will not upgrade until 90% of the problems are fixed.
Julio said:
On that last message... it's not up to Microsoft to release new drivers for Vista, but manufacturers and they have had plenty of time already, waiting a year to release the OS would make no difference.Mac OS X can not be compared to Windows in this respect since it's not an open OS, it's limited to work on Apple computers only and that means a handful of devices compared to PCs that are "universal" in that sense.From an usability point of view, new PCs shipping with Vista should not have drivers or compatibility problems whatsoever.
theholmboy said:
I recently installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition and I must say it is pretty good. Of course, I made sure driver support was available for the machine I installed it in and that the machine had reasonably good hardware (X2 3800+, 2GB PC6700 DDR2, 320GB HD, 7900GT 256mb). There were a few programs that had some trouble during installation, but I eventually figured them out (Ironically, the patch for Halo wouldn't work & M$ isn't going to fix it, so I directly transferred the files from another PC). I usually wait until M$ releases the first Service Pack before I move to a new OS, but my wife's brother works for M$ and he got me Vista Ultimate for $45. There is no way I would fork out $380 for an OS!! However, I first tried to install Vista 64-bit on a recent HTPC build, but nVidia's HDTV driver support isn't there yet, so I went with MCE 2005 on that one.I still have 3 machines in my home office with XP SP2, so I still have plenty of safety net for apps that aren't working in Vista yet. I also maintain a small Linux server and still have an aging Mac with OS X, so I use all three of the main operating systems out there. I must agree with Julio that OS X is the best, but I can't build a Mac and I don't ever have that much money at once to buy one. The hardware is just too expensive for what you get.Face it, most users out there will be moving to Vista eventually and M$ will get things running smooth, just like they did with XP.
phantasm66 said:
[b]Originally posted by Strakian:[/b][quote]Vista isn't ready for gamers and power users yet. Sorry Microsoft.. but nothing is stable yet and I can't dual boot with XP... screw you for now.[/quote]Well I am running Vista and its been quite stable and runs my games just fine. Compatibility issues of some sort always come in the short term when a new version of Windows is released - people need to get over it.When Windows 98 was released it broke a bunch of things that were working in 95 - but they got fixed. People moaned about it and said it was a mess and a resource hog, etc, but in the end most agreed that Windows 98 (especially SE) was a real improvement from Windows 95.Its the same with Vista - its a long needed update to XP and people need to get past that a few things don't work right yet. Have some patience for God sake.
jesse_hz said:
Since when has Windows been open?
Julio said:
I never said open source, I just said open, as in "you can use it on any PC you buy or build", unlike Mac OS X.