Intel planning huge price cuts for quad-core server CPUs

By Justin Mann on May 21, 2007, 2:57 PM
In a pre-emptive strike against AMD's Barcelona CPUs, Intel is planning some very hefty price cuts on their quad-core server processors. With cuts ranging from 40% to 60%, the cost of their Kentsfield core Xeons will drop to $224 and $266 for the X3210 and X3220. The Clovertowns will see significant drops to, with the E5310 going down to a mere $209.

The price cuts will go into effect towards the end of July. It'll be hard for AMD to compete on price for a while after a new release, so hopefully for the Barcelona will be a stunning performer.

howzz1854 said:
looks like intel is looking to crush AMD once and for all. knowing that the K10 will most likely take back the performance crown for at least a short while, and on top of that AMD needs to make some of its money back after the relase of K10, that means they won't be able to afford cutting prices on their new and shinny Barcelona to compete with intel's prices. intel's got AMD's back pinned against the wall there. AMD will either have to release their K10 with a lower than usual price, or keep their profit margin and let Intel take back all the market share.
fornacis said:
Intel is selling so many chips that they can afford to drop prices, and of course...they are messing with AMD bigtime. Intel finally gets revenge against the nay sayers, and AMD fanbois.
mirob said:
I really don't see how K10 can beat C2D with a three issue core. Even worse I don't see how AMD can sell a chip as fast as a Q6600 for $266. I think these cut are just to increase the volume of sales, take market share and move quad core into the mainstream.
PanicX said:
bringinheat said:
[b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote]Call me a fanboy, but this sounds like the normal ploy to detract from a superior competitive product. Intel has always cut prices in the past whenever a new AMD chip came out that was a better performer, but they ignored chip releases that weren't, e.g. Athlon64 launch, they dropped prices, AM2 launch, no extra cuts.For now, I'll cross my fingers and hope there's more to the hype than currently thought. But I'm far from holding my breath.[/quote]Yes fanboi you are!!! I guess you dont remember buying X2 3800s for close to 400 dollars pre core 2 duo............tell me how much your beloved company sells those things for today...............AM2 was a socket change and not a new arch.
fornacis said:
PanicX...breathe! You're turning Blue!I think Intel is bringing it to the masses....I seriously doubt they are concerned with AMD at this point.
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by bringinheat:[/b][quote]Yes fanboi you are!!! I guess you dont remember buying X2 3800s for close to 400 dollars pre core 2 duo............tell me how much your beloved company sells those things for today...............AM2 was a socket change and not a new arch. [/quote]uhh.. WTF does X2 3800s have to do with any thing I said? The theory I'm trying to share is that Intel likely knows exactly how good of a chip AMD will be releasing, and their actions in the market may be indicators of what they know. If there is no "real" competition, then any economics freshman can tell you that they have no reason to entice customers with lower prices. I also tried to corrolate this theory with reviewing previous market moves by Intel before AMD processor launches.BTW, AM2 was more than a socket change, it also enabled AMD to support DDR2 memory, which has large theoretical performance gains.Oh, and a competitor that has [url=http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6178921.html]nearly 20% of your market[/url] is definitely not someone you can be unconcerned about.