Stay away from iPhone, says Gartner

By Justin Mann on June 22, 2007, 8:56 PM
The primary market for PDAs tends to be the enterprise or other business environments. Fancy phones with a plethora of features, while also finding a niche with enthusiasts, make their name by having a large company adpot them. That's why it must sting Apple a little to see analyst firm Gartner tell IT executives to stay away from their beloved iPhone, set to be released one week from today.

This week, Gartner has warned IT execs to not support the device, based primarily because they believe Apple has no intention of aiming for or supporting the enterprise environment. They are dubbing it a “cellular iPod”. Perhaps, though, they are right – Apple truly is targeting the consumer. So far it seems they have done a good job at that. True, it may not have a fit in a business environment. And while there is not a large market for PDAs on the consumer level, perhaps the iPhone will change that.

After all, despite the very hefty price tag of $500 to $600, Apple still has set a lofty goal of 10 million sold before the end of next year. Given how quickly they exploded into the mobile media player market, perhaps that confidence isn't just bluffing.

Businesses might do well to avoid the iPhone – but Apple clearly isn't aiming at them to begin with.

PanicX said:
I"m really torn about the iPhone. I want one and I don't know why. I suppose I've just fallen victim to their marketing strategies... subliminally. But I worry about third party software support, there's a lot of great software for my palm that I'm sure won't be on the iPhone.
Julio said:
I'm certain at least half of the first buyers will be driven by novelty. That said, the device appears to be amazingly useful and integrated on paper, the usability interface will be hard proven during the first months of its release.
9Nails said:
I'm going to stay in the crowd who remain envious of those who buy the iPhone. The price of AT&T Wireless service plus the iPhone puts me behind the fence. I just don't call enough or need the other features enough to justify a contract at prices that they are asking. I suppose the packaged deal puts me out of their target audience.I just really wish that Wireless carriers would consider us low/emergency use customers when they make these really cool products like this.
windmill007 said:
iphone=PS3 COOL but way over priced and not going to sell. Plus the network blows. They should of priced it below $300 and able to use it with any wireless network. They will learn the hard way like Sony and I will be laughing the whole time. When companies get this greedy I think they get what they deserve!
ozzy1 said:
Ya, it looks cool but it is basically just a internet connected iPod that has VOIP. It is just waiting for a virus outbreak... this should be fun.see ---> [url]http://phqu.blogspot.com/2007/06/apple-iphone-exploit-i
mante.html[/url]
MetalX said:
Sounds like Apple is trying to cater to the "rich kids" market, that is, teenage or young adult children who come from wealthy families. Not very many people are going to pay $600 for a phone. And if they want a PDA, they would buy a PDA from a respectable company like Palm (not that Apple isn't respectable, they just don't have any experience in the PDA field). By purchasing a fully fledged PDA and not an iPhone, people will be able to save the monthly cost of having a cell phone while still having internet access (near an access point).
cfitzarl said:
I think that Apple is going to have their hands full with this new gadget; it screams malfunctions.