Target stores to stock only Blu-ray DVD players

By on July 26, 2007, 5:06 PM
The next-gen HD format war heated up today after Target, the second largest retailer in the US, announced that it would begin to sell standalone Blu-ray players exclusively in its retail stores starting late this fall and into the holiday season.

Target will begin carrying Sonyís least expensive BDP-S300 Blu-ray player sometime in October for $499 alongside Blu-ray DVDs from several studios. Although this is the first standalone HD player sold at Target retail stores, the company does sell a Toshiba HD DVD player through its web site and carries both HD DVD and Blu-ray titles in its stores.

Still, the move by Target further boosts the Sony-backed technology and may deal another blow to rival HD-DVD. Just this June, Blockbuster turned its back to the HD DVD camp by announcing plans to line its shelves with Blu-ray DVDs only, saying that Blu-ray rentals are "significantly outpacing HD DVD rentals."

However, with the PlayStation 3 console and LGís new multi-format players now selling for $499 or less, I donít see why anyone would bother buying the Sony BDP-S300. Perhaps bringing the price down a little more could jump start sales of Sonyís standalone player.

9Nails said:
The score: BD = 2, HD = 0With Target and Lackluster (err, BlockBuster Video) in bed with the Blu-Ray guys, the HD guys have quite an uphill battle. They better secure Walmart while they still can! Hurry up HD guys... Your market share is shrinking!
9Nails said:
HD-DVD promotions group said this rumor is in err. The news should have been that Blu-Ray was purchasing an end-cap in the Target stores. (End cap's are the end of the long isle in a store and are often favored as the location seems to attract more consumers.) Much like how HD has purchased end-cap's in Best-Buy and Circuit City. Target will continue to sell HD-drives and media.source: [url]http://gear.ign.com/articles/808/808350p1.html[/url]
phantasm66 said:
Well, I could be wrong, but more and more and more, I am thinking that Blu-Ray is going to win.
windmill007 said:
Am I the only one who hates blue ray? I hate it because the next DVD should be HD. And the name HD-DVD makes sense. Why the hell do we want something called blue ray? Just more crap to confuse consumers. it would be cool if everything was called HD..Like he we have HD tv's and HD radio... and HD dvd er blue ray... Come on .. it's a bunch of crap to keep prices high. Sony sucks and I will never back them. I use to like there stereo equipment but ever since they got gready I for one will not pay there insanely overly inflated prices. Sont just go away please. You and appple think you rule the world. I for one could do without any of your products! HD-DVD needs to drop there prices below $100 and flood the market. Need to wake up before its to late. Who cares. Sell for a loss now...make it up later when blue ray is dead.
Fornacis said:
Wal-Mart will sell both, they ain't stupid.Sony will win in the end....I have forseen this...
peas said:
howzz1854 said:
[b]Originally posted by peas:[/b][quote]Neither format will "win". The only guarantee is that us, the consumers, lose due to more expensive hardware, confusion in the market (some movie titles only available in one format or the other), and just utter waste of time & money.I'm skipping both HD-DVD and BlewRay. They're filled with useless DRM that only serves Hollywood and strangles consumers.[/quote]i second that. the only way that the next gen high definition media will benefit the consumer is by making them available through all channels. bullying retailers and buying out studios with exclusive distribution only hurts the consumer in the end. that being said, on a second note, i personally for one is sick of SONY. selling a blue-ray player with about twice the price than the competition that essentially does the same thing just doesn't do me any good as a consumer in the end.
9Nails said:
[b]Originally posted by howzz1854:[/b][quote]i second that. the only way that the next gen high definition media will benefit the consumer is by making them available through all channels. bullying retailers and buying out studios with exclusive distribution only hurts the consumer in the end. that being said, on a second note, i personally for one is sick of SONY. selling a blue-ray player with about twice the price than the competition that essentially does the same thing just doesn't do me any good as a consumer in the end. [/quote]I second that second! (Third that?!) I for one look right past higher priced DVD movies. (That's all I see HD-DVD or BR-DVD's as.) And I look forward to a download service such as www.vongo.com with an Xbox 360 or a Vista HT PC. I want something that offers me more for less. I'm tired of giving my money away just because I'm supposed to as a good little consumer. How about I keep some of my money for me?!