Sprint plans to rollout WiMax service "XOHM"

By on August 16, 2007, 12:06 PM
Sprint today announced that they'll be marketing their upcoming mobile WiMax service under the brand name "Xohm", to be launched as a trial by year's end in the Washington and Baltimore areas. Commercial launch of the service will occur in 2008. Sprint executives said they expect their WiMax network to provide speeds at three to four times that of 3G wireless networks, somewhere in the range of 2Mbps to 4Mbps.

Sprint and Clearwire announced an agreement on July to build the WiMax network in the U.S., which they hope it will reach 100 million users in nineteen major cities by the end of 2008. Sprint will build about 65% of the network, while Clearwire will take care of the remaining 35%.

Furthermore, the company also partnered with Google to provide a range of its services for the web portal that Sprint is developing for its WiMax high-speed wireless network. Under the Google deal, the two companies plan to share revenue from search-related advertising.




Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.