Rumors on upcoming Nvidia GeForce 9900 release

By on April 25, 2008, 10:15 AM
With upcoming new architectures from both ATI and Nvidia camps, the two graphics giants are set to collide in just a few short months, or perhaps even weeks if rumors are to be believed. VRZone is reporting that Nvidia plans to release two new GeForce 9900 series cards as soon as July.

The GeForce 9900 GTX and 9900 GTS cards will be aiming at the high-end sector and will be used as a way to counter AMD's release of its next-generation RV770 graphics processor a.k.a. Radeon HD 4000 series which are also rumored to be coming ahead of schedule.

Although the psychological barrier of running Crysis smoothly with all the eye candy turned on was somewhat broken with the release of the GeForce 9800 GX2, newer high-end products based on revamped architectures can only be good news for those who can spend the big bucks, and for those who can't that can get discounted mid-range products.

fullmetalvegan said:
So glad I didn't buy a 9800 yet, hopefully these new 9900 will be good.
TimeParadoX said:
Julio said:
The GeForce 8800 GTX was a really good investment, but we only know it now... it may be a while until we hit another one like that again.
neurosys said:
The GX2 was a good investment... so was the 7600 GT OC I had before it. The GX2 is simply amazing and I didnt even upgrade the rest of the computer... I should have got a newer series mobo(instead of staying on my A8N-SLI) I should have got one with the 1600FSB but i didnt. I should have upgraded my AMD64 3800+ to a dualcore... but i didnt... I should have thrown in better ram.. but I didnt... I just chocked the card(s) in and went to town... ITS AMAZING.. CRYSIS IS MY *****.
Acclamator said:
NVIDIA really is wacky lately. You always have to make sure you get the best card for your dollar these days. That's why my GeForce 7900 GS is still strong and when I upgrade in about 6 months a GeForce 9600 GT will be an excellent choice... Of course that depends on NVIDIA, they might release some weird uber card compared to the 9600 GT by then.
technologyone said:
[b]Originally posted by TimeParadoX:[/b][quote]I don't seem to trust nVidia any more, They make new cards every month so it'll be a waste of time and money to keep buying the 9 series. I'll wait until it's the 10 series because once you have 5 numbers I don't think you can go any higher. 10900 would be a weird number.[/quote]LOL! No offense, but I really got a chuckle out of this comment. Somehow I don't think that the nVidia shareholders are going to accept that "once you have 5 numbers" you must stop development on new products and accept that your business has run its course. I am all for leaving well enough alone, but new high end video cards will always be developed and routinely released to push the envelope. The only constant is change and this holds absolutely true for the computing industry; if it didn't what a boring industry we would be a part of!I, for one, don't lament the thousands of dollars spent on video cards over the years (yes, I too got the latest ATI All-in-Wonder 16MB card for a few hundred bucks and was in high heaven playing MotoCross Madness at 30 FPS). I just look for the best buy at the time, do TONS of research (of course it helps to be in a business where we can write off "R&D models" before deciding on one to take home) and enjoy being on that bleeding edge while it lasts. Like any new toy, the latest video card and video game will get old but that just means you get the thrill of going to the edge one more time when it does. :)