Doom 3 Alpha Leaked

By on November 3, 2002, 10:34 PM
From [URL=http://www.slashdot.org]Slashdot[/URL] news:

The Doom 3 E3 Demo Alpha has leaked to the public. It looks promising, altough I'm only getting 12FPS on a Radeon 7500. Did anyone else have the chance to play it and could post their FPS? Here are some sites with more information and screenshots: [URL=http://www.ut2003online.com/doom3.html]here[/URL], [URL=http://meineseite.i-one.at/fz80297/test/doom3a.htm]here[/URL], [URL=http://folk.uio.no/magnusn/doom3/cvarlist.txt]here[/URL], and finally [URL=http://64.81.178.14/~K8a7a000/A1/F4/article/0/134994]here[/URL].

John Carmack has already made a [URL=http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=44077&cid=4591655]statement[/URL] regarding the leaked demo, he's not happy about the situation obviously. One last thing, we would love to hear your comments on the leak, however no warez links please.

Phantasm66 said:
Not a warez link here.... just some information... does anyone know what size the file is meant to be? Is it about 100 MB or so? Anyone know if any virus infected BS is doing the rounds disguised as a legitimate version of the file?
Rick said:
I think the official one is 364.1Mb in RAR format... At least that is first and most popular one I have seen.If you use the edonkey network, the verification hash is 1d67104ded376842d34827573abcdc64
Phantasm66 said:
Yeah, you are right. The 100 MB or so file is a hoax, probably containing a demo for another game or a virus infected exe.
Phantasm66 said:
beware of anything doing the rounds on Kazaa right now, its not the alpha. its either a demo of another game, or its nothing (or nothing with a virus.)
Cucumber said:
:( .. I cant find it anywhere....not....that...im.....looking....for...warez :blush:
Phantasm66 said:
you'll very likely have to look on news groups. anything on kazaa right now looked like other game demos (like the sims, etc) renamed to doomIII.exe or something. The file doing the rounds is a .rar file, I believe. if you have an app that can search newsgroups then you might find it.just don't post any links here.
Federelli said:
simply lame, poor guys at idsoft
TS | Julio said:
I haven't found the leaked demo either, haven't had enough time to look for it really though anyway... the nice thing for the people is taking a peek at the eye candy graphics even on the early development stage, though, if I were id I would be pissed too, after all you give away these demos under certain circunstances and conditions.
sike said:
I happen to have dled and tried the alpha. It does indeed run like a dog on my GF 3 but to see it in motion is one of the most breathtaking experiences you could partake in on your computer. Its a shame it was leaked, but it does tell me one thing - I will need to upgrade to an NV30 :)
Phantasm66 said:
The final retail version will run much better on normal kit. The alpha has not been optimised and so runs VERY slowly on just about everything. This will not be true in the future when the game is released properly.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
There wasn't this kind of fuss when UT2003 builds were leaked to the public. What's the big deal about Doom ]I[ then?
Phantasm66 said:
I think its more that its a very long awaited game, and it also has a VERY advanced engine for its time. I have a couple of games programming friends and they are already looking it over carefully and are very excited about it.
Federelli said:
better don't let activition read what was here before, hey mods, delete my posts if u can, it's for your good, heard activision was shuting down sites with stuff like this
Per Hansson said:
A few friends to me downlaoded the file in school, it's 381_781_972 byte if anyones interested... And yes, it is a .rar file...it's really frigging cool actually!If you play it knowing it's an Alpha that is, but the game really is groundbreaking...Of course all debugging stuff is also enabled so that's one of the reasons it's running so slow, and of course that the engine is not optimized...
TS | Julio said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Federelli [/i][b]just bought a cd with it, looks like crap in my voodoo5, but runs at 15fps... but it looks so like crap god!! [/b][/quote] You paid for it??? Now, that's illegal ! 8)
Federelli said:
hey Julio, have you replied my pm?
Rick said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Federelli [/i][b]well it ain't illegal here, otherwise they wouldn't be selling it... btw, i payed 50 cents for it (2.5 pesos that is in argentinian money) [/b][/quote] Software from the U.S is protected by international law, not governed by local laws.I'm not one to make a big deal about it, but I figured you should probably know that you are not protected by your own laws when overseas products and services are involved.
unregistered said:
I just tried this leaked alpha and IMO there is simply no doubt that Doom III will be a landmark release. This is the most impressive thing I've ever seen.Yes it runs choppy on my AMD 800 with GF2 but it has truly astonishing detail. They are also making good use of sound to keep the tension high. With a surround sound setup this game will be truly scary. The ferocity of the creatures is very frightening!With res at 640/480 (mode 3) fullscreen, I was able to acheive smooth playback of the cinematic sequences by tweaking the config. I enabled compression of all graphic effects (fyi: executing 'mediumquality.cfg' will set these values automatically), reduced color depths to 16, and disabled ansitropy and character shadows.Seeing the famous bathroom cinematic sequence is an utterly amazing and unnerving experience.IMO Doom III will raise the bar and set the standard of how future games should be made.I'm glad I was able to obtain the leak and preview this game. I can't wait for the release now. They still have lots of work to do. It's going to be hard to wait.GJ ID! Very impressive!cF
Rick said:
And just think.. It isn't even fit for release yet. :) I'll try it out one of these.. I'm not expecting my Radeon 7200 64Mb DDR to be able to handle the excitement though. :)
Federelli said:
[quote][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i][b]Software from the U.S is protected by international law, not governed by local laws.I'm not one to make a big deal about it, but I figured you should probably know that you are not protected by your own laws when overseas products and services are involved. [/b][/quote] well just found out, thanx for the news :(... so now what
MOHFUUMAN said:
...its almost as if everybody has just stopped to care about the alpha demo....ia least thats what i think....it was so special before i think its because of half life 2 or something like that...anyways...every body i know has it and everyone they know and so on and so on....i was bored...thats why i wrote this nonsence....sooooo.... DOOM 3 RULES.....and..(i never thought that i whould say this , but) half life 2 rules 2...