Windows XP SP3 to hit Automatic Updates soon

By Justin Mann on July 7, 2008, 10:21 PM
Months after its original release, the very slowly paced rollout of Windows XP SP3 is still in process. Now, after having enough time to study the issues involved in the upgrade, Microsoft is preparing to push the Service Pack again through Automatic Updates. As a token to IT admins who are worried about machines becoming mass-crippled in the event of a problem, Microsoft is offering the Windows Service Pack Blocker Kit, as well as playing up WSUS control. The company still has to publish an exact date on the release, but knowing Microsoft, it will most likely be on a Tuesday, so watch out.

You might recall Windows XP SP3 went RTM in late April. However, despite extensive planning and a staged rollout, a number of issues became evident soon thereafter under certain scenarios which has prevented its en masse adoption as it was originally intended.

canadian said:
nirkon said:
I just reformatted and reinstalled windows (I routinely do this every 4-5 months), so I installed XP SP3 and I have had 0 problems with it.Seems like they managed to do 1 thing right with this.
Julio said:
[-Steve-] said:
Yeah I installed XP once when I use to use it, that install latest the lifetime of the OS. I am hoping to do the same with Vista ;)
nirkon said:
[b]Originally posted by Julio:[/b][quote]Every 4-5 months? Isn't that a bit excessive? I haven't had to reinstall Vista in a year and a half myself. Now I'm thinking of going 64-bit, though if it wouldn't be for the fact that I was forced to install some Visual Studio and SQL development tools, I wouldn't bother.[/quote]Yeah heh.. I do this about twice a year (3 MAX),its because my computer gets filled with A LOT of junk over thattime and well, instead of hand-picking and deleting that junk its much less time consuming and much less work just to reformat the whole deal and save the things that I need.Besides I wanted to try out SP3, and I wouldn't recommend installing SP3 on machines that have XP SP2 over a year, a lot of people have been reporting problems with that.
bishoplord said:
I wondered what happened. I had to reinstall XP on my work PC and I see that it has SP3, however, I installed XP on my home PC last week and when I went to Microsoft's website for updates, the system check revealed I was up to date, however, I was only on SP2. I'll have to do the update when I get home tonight.
DragonMaster said:
[b]Originally posted by canadian:[/b][quote]So far, my biggest problem is the fact that on some machines, it kills windows update. (If any of you encounter this, message me. I created a batch file that will fix the problem)[/quote]Other solution: flush Windows Update with Dial-a-fix. You'll have to reinstall the Windows Update ActiveX, but that's all.
lordbf1 said:
i all ready rolled out xp sp3 to all my workstations. wsus is a good thing! oh yeah vista blows and xp with sp3 rocks once again!
johnt1 said:
We have just set up an Application Compatibility Lab using our software AOK. We have 1,000 commonly used applications in our workbench and can test for thier compatibility with a target platform e.g. XP SP3 in minutes. The results of our XP SP3 tests can be found at [url]http://www.changebase.com/docs/AOK-XPSP3-study.pdf[/url
The findings are very encouraging - unlike some earlier Service Packs we have seen very few new problems. However if you have a problem App we would be happy to test it with AOK Disscovery and see if we can fix it with AOK Fix It. We can post the results to this forumjohn.tate@changebase.com