Psystar hires high-profile law firm, hopes to beat Apple in court

By on July 31, 2008, 2:21 PM
Facing a lawsuit from Apple, Mac clone maker Psystar is getting ready to fight back in court and has hired a law firm that specializes in tech industry issues such as copyright and intellectual property law. The law firm in question is Carr & Ferrell, a company that has previously tangled with Apple – and won.

That’s not to say Psystar has better chances of winning in court, but this latest move should at least mean that Apple is going to have a tough fight in its hands. The stakes are high in this case. If Psystar wins, the doors could burst open for other firms – such as Open Tech – to sell their own clones and possibly damage Apple’s rocketing Mac sales. On the other hand, a loss would likely put Psystar out of business seeing that it could be forced to recall all of the computers it has sold with Mac OS X installed.

Documents filed yesterday by Psystar extend their deadline to respond to the lawsuit from next Monday to August 18, so it’ll be a few more weeks until the battle kicks off. We’ll be keeping an eye on this as it develops.

kingdingdong said:
I hope they beat Apple. Im tired of there over priced propriotery B.S.
9Nails said:
Overpriced BS indeed. Apple is just as foul-able as any other system manufacture out there, except Apple charges a lot more for the equivalent piece of hardware. Sure, design has a lot to do with it since Apple doesn't use off-the-shelf ATX or BTX form factor motherboards in any of their computers. This comes at a significant expense to the customer and no upgrade options are foreseeable. PsyStar is doing the world a huge favor. Down with the Cupertino Monopoly, and hello clones.
Didou said:
nirkon said:
[b]Originally posted by Didou:[/b][quote]If you can't afford it don't buy it, don't drag it down for people who can afford it & actually enjoy it the way it is. While you're at it, go complain that you can't play Xbox games on the PS3 or Blu-Ray movies on an HD-DVD player, etc.A Macintosh is not an open system, the PC is. Stick with PCs.[/quote]I would agree with you if the thing you were paying MORE for was actually BETTER, but its not!It's the same exact crap only with a freaking humongous 'apple tax' they drop on it.
Didou said:
It's not any better to you but it is to everyone who buys an Apple product. It might use the same components but try to put in your head that a Macintosh is not hardware. It is a combination of both hardware & software. You take one out & it is no longer a Macintosh.& while you're at it take the time to go on any other OEM PC vendor, setup a system similar to an Apple machine, see how much difference there is, come back here when you have those results & we'll discuss this so called "humongous" tax you speak of. Apple is now very competitive with competing OEM builders & the small price difference to me (& other Apple users) is completely justified by the software which suits my needs much better (as well as other Apple users).Stop bashing on hear-say & on decade old clichés. You don't see me bashing Vista, do you ? I haven't used it so I'm not in a position to say anything negative about it. You haven't used a Macintosh so you're not in a position to criticize it.
captain828 said:
[b]Originally posted by Didou:[/b][quote]It's not any better to you but it is to everyone who buys an Apple product. It might use the same components but try to put in your head that a Macintosh is not hardware. It is a combination of both hardware & software. You take one out & it is no longer a Macintosh.[/quote]And just what do you get besides OS-X preinstalled? Because I don't see Apple's productivity apps being given for free... neither Adobe's or Corel's for eg.Also, don't forget you can also install OS-X on a PC aswell... with a little patience [quote]& while you're at it take the time to go on any other OEM PC vendor, setup a system similar to an Apple machine, see how much difference there is, come back here when you have those results & we'll discuss this so called "humongous" tax you speak of. Apple is now very competitive with competing OEM builders & the small price difference to me (& other Apple users) is completely justified by the software which suits my needs much better (as well as other Apple users).[/quote]Ok, I did just that and this is what I came up with:- Apple MacBook Pro with: * 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo * 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB * 200GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm * SuperDrive 8X DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW) * MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Widescreen Display * Apple Remote * Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide and no extra software, TOTAL: $3418-Dell XPS M1730 with:* Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)* Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition SP1* 17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA* 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz* RAID Performance: 640GB (2x320GB) 5400RPM* Blu-ray Disc Combo (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM)* NVIDIA®SLI™Dual GeForce®8700MGT with 512MB GDDR3 * 85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9-cell) also, no extra software; TOTAL $3424- since the Dell is bigger; Sony VGN-AR870 with: * Intel® Core 2™ Duo Processor T9500 (2.6GHZ) * Microsoft® Windows Vista® Ultimate with Service Pack 1 * 4 GB DDR-SDRAM (DDR2-667, 2 GBx2 * 640 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [5400 rpm] * Blu-ray Disc™ Read Only Drive * LCD 17"WUXGA (XBRITE-HiColor™) with integrated video camera * WLAN (802.11a/b/g/n) with integrated Bluetooth® technology * Extended Battery (BPL9) + extra shareware they add; TOTAL: $2769[quote]Stop bashing on hear-say & on decade old clichés. You don't see me bashing Vista, do you ? I haven't used it so I'm not in a position to say anything negative about it. You haven't used a Macintosh so you're not in a position to criticize it.[/quote]And yes, I've used a top-end MacBook Pro and I was shocked when I heard the amount of money that guy paid on it vs. the hardware it had.And, sincerely, OS-X is nice and easy to use, but for me, as a power-user, no way... I'll happily stick with Vista
Didou said:
[quote][b]Originally posted by captain828:[/b]And just what do you get besides OS-X preinstalled? Because I don't see Apple's productivity apps being given for free... neither Adobe's or Corel's for eg.[/quote]I agree you don't get productivity applications but neither on the PC side, Office never comes for free. You do get iLife which has no equivalent on the PC side (unless you can point me to one with a similar integration level which comes pre-loaded on the computer). You also have loads of small applications (such as the dictionary, the spaces manager, the stickies, the Time Machine, the Quick Look, the Spotlight, etc.) that come pre-loaded that would quite some time to list but when you get used to having them, they are an invaluable source of productivity. If you're of the power user type, the Automator & the terminal (since it uses a Unix command line) have immense possibilities & all of that out of the box without having to install anything extra.As for the laptops you've chosen, they don't have a backlit keyboard which is as nice as it is useful, the screens do not seem to be of the [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_light-emitting_dio
e]OLED [/URL] variety, I don't believe they have Draft-N WiFi nor are they as thin & lightweight as the MacBook Pro. I will not get into aesthetics as that varies from one person to another. [quote][b]Originally posted by captain828:[/b]And, sincerely, OS-X is nice and easy to use, but for me, as a power-user, no way... I'll happily stick with Vista [/quote]There are power users on MacOSX as well, they just do not happen to have the same needs that you do just as there are power users that need Vista. But since Vista fits your needs, why does it bother you so much that Apple does not want MacOSX to run on any machine ? As you say yourself, you would rather use Vista anyways.
fullmetalvegan said:
Paying extra amounts of money for a backlit keyboard is stupid anyway, so that's a redundant point, I don't think the screen issue is too relevant either, the WiFi thing isn't a big deal - you can get a dongle for like $40 instead of paying much more for it to be onboard the Apple. And well, the Mac is lighter because the PC variants have much more hardware packed into it, what do you expect? Besides, I never understood the light weight debate of laptops, I don't walk around carrying thme and using them, I place them on a desk, thereby weight is irrelevant at this point.It's like my PC chassis, it weighs a friggen tonne cause its an E-ATX packed with gaming hardware + heatsinks... but it weighing a crapload doesn't matter cause I never move it, so I don't care that someone else's Mac is lighter. It can't perform nearly as good as mine does. =P
Didou said:
[b]Originally posted by fullmetalvegan:[/b][quote]Paying extra amounts of money for a backlit keyboard is stupid anyway,[/quote]Worthless to you, priceless to everyone who uses it. Try typing on a regular keyboard when you have meetings with the lights off.[quote]I don't think the screen issue is too relevant either,[/quote]Try using an OLED screen before you say that. The extra readability you get in very lit environments or the low power consumption (especially for mobile computing) is a decisive factor whether you like it or not.[quote]And well, the Mac is lighter because the PC variants have much more hardware packed into it, what do you expect? Besides, I never understood the light weight debate of laptops, I don't walk around carrying thme and using them, I place them on a desk, thereby weight is irrelevant at this point.[/quote]On the contrary, for mobile computing it's very important, laptops are not conceived as gaming machines, you're thinking about [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_replacement_comput
r]"desktop replacements"[/URL]. It's not important to you but it is to the 90% others who use their machines on the go. It's as if you were saying that you don't care about your car's gas mileage since you only use the backseat to take naps.