AMD releases Catalyst 8.8 drivers

By on August 21, 2008, 10:07 AM
Itís that time of the month again when AMD releases a new set of drivers for Radeon graphics card owners. The new Catalyst 8.8 release brings the usual round of bug fixes along with new Avivo video features and Hybrid Graphics support for Windows XP.

To make use of AMDís Hybrid Graphics technology, users will need an AMD 780G/780D integrated graphics motherboard paired with either a Radeon HD 3400 or HD 2400 series GPU, for extra performance and quad-display support. While no particular performance improvements are mentioned, thereís a quite extensive list of bug fixes for games on both XP and Vista operating systems.

AMD has also made a Catalyst 8.8 release available for Linux users, adding support for CrossFire X multi-GPU configurations, adaptive antialiasing, and OverDrive GPU overclocking and monitoring. Check out AMDís release notes for the full list of changes, or go ahead and pick your OS to download the latest Catalyst driver:

ATI Catalyst 8.8 for Windows XP
ATI Catalyst 8.8 for Windows XP 64bit
ATI Catalyst 8.8 for Windows Vista 32bit
ATI Catalyst 8.8 for Windows Vista 64bit
ATI Catalyst 8.8 for Windows Linux 32bit
ATI Catalyst 8.8 for Windows Linux 64bit

nirkon said:
I read some of the game fixes there(although I don't use an ATI card), they have dozens of dozens of them , and I don't know which of these to say;ati cards are buggy and need driver fixing for a lot of gamesornvidia just ignores most of the problems, because they never fix this huge amount of content.
cat8.8 h8tr said:
the new 8.8 cat is THE WORST piece of TOTAL CRAP I have ever installed. I have been a supporter of AMD/ATI for well as long as they have been together of coarse...knowing FULL well and Logically they will have/have had assimilating problems....... THIS UPDATE TOOK all of my support and CRAPPPPPPPED on it you $#@%@ @#$@$ @#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@$@#$@#$@#$ etc. WTF did they not try the new code once! it craps up and May as well DOA your system. NEVER have I had SUch a huge problem from a cat upgrade. SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURe they finally got x-fire to show my x2 and 8750 in tandem but try and test ANY OC setting and it DIES. I have never felt so much SHAME for them. AMD/ATI SHAAAAAAAME on you #@!$@!#$!@#$!@#$ get it together your about to loose your last or one of your last supporters alive To sum it up 8.8 SHOULD NEVER OF BEEN RELEASES AND HOPE SOMEONE GETS @#$# CANNED OVER IT!!!!! then stoned to death with a plethora of TINY pebbles. APPEASE YOUR SERFS BEFORE THEY RIOT!!!!! I have my pitch fork!!! #@$%ers
cat8.8 h8tr said:
I apologize for all the symbols above but they have earned each one of them. 8.7 works fine but it was a mess I could of done without 8.8 BAH HUMBUG. they better get 8.9 right AND soon.they would have been better off not releasing it.WORDS CAN"T DESCRIBE THEIR failure.
mrwes said:
cat8.8 h8tr said:
cat8.8 h8tr said:
AHHHHHH LOW AND BEHOLD A 8.9 REALEASE ALREADY (about 1 week later lol!!!!!)DOWNLOADING NOW WILL UPDATE.....I FEEL VINDICATED!!!The ppl have spoken and they listened.drum role plz does 8.9 work.....(will update soon)[b]Originally posted by cat8.8 h8tr:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by mrwes:[/b][quote]I always like it when one person with their specific hardware combination blows up catastrophically and then goes catatonic. 8.8 is working well on a variety of hardware in my home and office, for what it's worth.[/quote]good for you... consider yourself luckyEveryone loves a good rant every now and then esp when its a bad code. my opinion based on MY experience ... not a bad combination of hardware. Total dismissal of my worth thanks mrwes hope ati pays you alot [/quote]
cat8.8 h8tr said: