Nvidia to launch upgraded GTX 260 in September?

By on August 22, 2008, 1:16 PM
Last June saw the debut of the Radeon HD 4800 series graphics cards, which offered a very powerful gaming solution for a decent price. Soon after benchmarks emerged showing little difference in performance between these cards and the GeForce GTX 200 lineup it became clear to Nvidia it had to adjust their pricing accordingly.

But Nvidia has another card up its sleeve, it seems, with the company rumored to be working on an updated version of the GTX 260 to try and put the brakes on AMD’s HD 4870. This card isn’t expected to feature the 55nm refresh of Nvidia’s GT200 GPU, but will instead beef up the amount of Shader Processors from 192 to 216.

Comparatively, Nvidia’s top-end GeForce GTX 280 contains a total of 240 stream processors. Expreview claims the revamped GTX 260 card should arrive in mid-September, with all other specs expected to remain the same.

poundsmack said:
"This card isn’t expected to feature the 55nm refresh..."that suprises me as the 55mn cores are cheaper to produce, run cooler, and last longer (in theory). I am waiting ot buy my next gpu until i can get a good, near top of the line 55mn or lower fabbed chip. for now my 8600GT runs fine.
eafshar said:
this sounds pretty stupid
BIGIRON said:
windmill007 said:
I'm happy with my 260 I paid $229 for. I can play any game with everything cranked to the max on my 24" 1920X1280 LCD including cysis. I am a little dissapointed that if I waited I could of got a better 260 for the same price. Owell by the time I need a new card I can probable get the next gen for the same price. I looked at the ATI offerings but was put off by the high heat (my room is already hot enough) and the amount of wattage the cards draw at idle. Sorry but Nvidia beats them at that point.
fullmetalvegan said:
BIGIRON said:
[b]Originally posted by fullmetalvegan:[/b][quote]The GTX 260 is better than the 4870 anyway. I'm not sure about it not being 55nm after NVIDIA already announced that 55nm versions of the GTX line are coming out.I got a 9800 GTX+ atm, it performs almost level with the 4870 for $100 less, and now that I've overclocked it, it actually surpasses the 4870. So that's quite value for money. =]I had a 4850 for a while... worse decision ever. It had the s***est drivers ever for 64-bit... games crashed every 20 mins, movies stopped playing due to atidisplay.dll failing, it would never remember my dual monitor setup, ugh, no thanks.So relieved to get NVIDIA back.[/quote]Thats odd my wife has a 4850 in her gaming machine thats using 64 bit vista hasnt crashed yet while playing AOC, WOW or Warhammer online. Ive used her machine to play TeamFortress 2 as well with no problems. What games are you playing to make it crash?The 8.8 drivers are out and rock solid, I didn't have a problem with the 8.7s either. So I guess maybe I just got lucky right? or maybe I just go with whom ever makes the best hardware for the dollar and dont have a fanboy axe to grind.Almost without question hardware and gaming websites have said the 4850/70s were awesome boards that beat their Nvidia counterparts, I guess they are all lying or inept.....hmmm[Edited by BIGIRON on 2008-08-23 18:15:54]
bigballslou said:
[b]Originally posted by fullmetalvegan:[/b][quote]The GTX 260 is better than the 4870 anyway. I'm not sure about it not being 55nm after NVIDIA already announced that 55nm versions of the GTX line are coming out.I got a 9800 GTX+ atm, it performs almost level with the 4870 for $100 less, and now that I've overclocked it, it actually surpasses the 4870. So that's quite value for money. =]I had a 4850 for a while... worse decision ever. It had the s***est drivers ever for 64-bit... games crashed every 20 mins, movies stopped playing due to atidisplay.dll failing, it would never remember my dual monitor setup, ugh, no thanks.So relieved to get NVIDIA back.[/quote]I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, but how much would you like to wager that this individual is running an NVidia chipset on their motherboard? This could easily be the explanation for your computer crashing with an ATI video card.
fullmetalvegan said:
Nope, Gigabyte EP45-EXTREME with Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, CrossFire enabled, has no reason to crash due to the Intel chipset, yet did. I was playing games like BioShock (1.0 plays fine, but 1.1 crashes), The Witcher would crash when the 4850 was overclocked, basically all new games were crashing when played for long periods of time. The added frustration was that when I had the Radeon reset to stock settings, games would be stable most of the time, but as soon as you overclock it they'd crash within 10 mins, that's poor. The display driver would crash mostly when watching movies on my LCD TV connected for dual monitor."Almost without question hardware and gaming websites have said the 4850/70s were awesome boards that beat their Nvidia counterparts, I guess they are all lying or inept.....hmmm" - lol, uhm, no, almost all sites without question weren't saying that at all. most said for the price vs performance they were good, but its a commonly accepted fact that NVIDIA generally has the more higher performance boards - just at a higher price. besides, i don't really care what any reviewer has to say (ATI fan boys perhaps?) when benchmarks, the REAL evidence, show the NVIDIA counterpart slapping the crap outta the 48xx.one techspot's latest benchmark has NVIDIA beating the 48xx in FPS so why don't you have a look at benchmarks/fps results instead of listening to what propaganda is being spread? =]e.g.9800 GTX+ beats 4850 for the same price, and comes within 4 FPS slower than the 4870 for $100 less. when overclocked, surpasses it. runs far cooler, sli yields more fps than crossfire.GTX 260 beats 4870 for the same price, when overclocked, FPS rise phenomally leaving even more dust to the 4870. runs much cooler again, and sli superior to crossfire.I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, but maybe being an enthusiast I take full usage of the components in my system with game's visual settings and clock settings and thus find the instablity of the 48xx compared to the common gamers who play at stock on not as high quaility shader sets that I run, nor do they run dual monitors on a LCD TV.
fullmetalvegan said:
PanicX said:
[b]Originally posted by BIGIRON:[/b][quote]Why not just buy an ATI Card?[/quote]I've heard tell that since AMD purchased ATI that there would be a lot better driver support. Ever since I upgraded my Radeon 8500 to a Geforce 4 years ago and tried to install the Radeon in my Linux PC. I've vouched to get hardware that once outmoded would work well with Linux. Nvidia has always had great Linux driver support where as ATI's support has been abysmal. Can you verify that this is no longer the case? I haven't really looked into ATI driver support lately, but it's my understanding that its just as bad as it used to be.
bigballslou said:
[b]Originally posted by fullmetalvegan:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by BIGIRON:[/b][quote]So let me get this straight. Nvidia asked you to pay top dollar for a card that they hobbled, then ATI started kicking their butt. Now Nvidia wants you to go out and buy another card that isn't hobbled so you might be faster than a card that cost less than their card to begin with. You will then be in the hole for how much money? I went from an 8800GTX to a 4870 and have not been sorry. And I bet ATI wont be releasing a "new" 4870 in a few months.Why not just buy an ATI Card?[/quote]Actually I hear rumours that ATi are preparing a revised overclocked 4850 and possibly the same for the 4870. Not to mention the 4850 X2 and 4870 X2 as close to being counted as revised versions of the original card.Why not just buy ATi? Because I like the way NVIDIA cards run at much lower temperatures, have phenonamal gains in FPS through SLI, and overclock very, very well. With their prices being dropped to match the 48xx series... why would I pay for an ATi card, when for the same price, I get an NVIDIA card that performs higher in FPs at stock and has the above benefits also?I got my 9800 GTX+ for $220, the same price as a 4850, except that it slaps the crap outta the 4850 in FPS and is very close to the 4870 in FPS for much less a price, to which I overclocked it and now it's faster than the 4870.That's why.[/quote]I personally do consider myself an AMD fan. I recognize that Intel is releasing countless numbers of products that outperform AMD in benchmarks. The same goes for NVidia and ATi. AMD/ATi has done something we should all be happy about though. They have forced market prices down. They continually produce quality products in my experience, and they may not be the king of all benchmarks, but they are constantly competitive. Since most people aren't shooting to be the king of benchmarks, but would like a competent and budget minded PC, AMD/ATi usually fits the bill. I support any company that is willing to produce quality products at a quality price, but I fear what Intel/Nvidia might try to get away with if there was no market competition. As a consumer, I expect you to spend your money how you see fit, but give credit where credit is due. Even if you have better luck with NVidia cards, you wouldn't be getting that kind of performance as cheap as you are without AMD/ATi.My system is nothing special, but more than capable.AMD X2 5600+, Gigabyte 790FX mobo, 8Gb DDR2 800, Sapphire 3870
Badfinger said:
The common folk can get by fine with a 9600GT or 3870, all these high end cards leave most folks in the dust with their store bought systems with sub par power supplies.Of course that is not US! ;)I'm very satisfied with my 8800GTS-512 (G92), no need for anything atm.