Google to launch Chrome web browser tomorrow

By on September 2, 2008, 1:47 PM
Update: Google Chrome is now available for download.

Google has just announced it is set to release a new web browser tomorrow built from the ground up and based on WebKit, the same rendering engine that Safari uses. The browser, dubbed Chrome, is open-source software built with security, compatibility and speed in mind – and of course it’ll integrate various Google services in it.

Google chose a rather interesting way to announce their open source web browser project. In a 38 page comic book the company explains some of the browser’s features, such as the fact that it will include a new JavaScript virtual machine and the Google Gears add-on by default. Chrome is said to be a better solution for complex and rich Web applications, delivering better performance as well as “smoother drag and drops” in interactive applications.

The book points to www.google.com/chrome, but there doesn’t seem to be anything live there as of this writing. It’s worth noting that while Google is officially entering the web browser fray, they’ve also reiterated their commitment with Firefox and other opens source projects to “help drive the web forward” – just last week they extended its support of the Mozilla foundation until 2011.

yukka said:
Good comic. Interesting Ideas.Hope you can change the color of the UI straight out of the box :)
yukka said:
Got it downloaded.Very nice. Fast. It imported my firefox settings and all my tabs are set up. The UI is very clean. The viewable area is generous. The buttons are very small. I cant middle mouse click my tab folders to open them all at once and its missing detailed configuration settings to change stuff, like whether it overwrites a current page when opening a set of tabs.The task manager is an eye opener. with 8 tabs open including tabs using flash, i am hitting 205mb Thats alot but I can see which tabs are using the most and which plugins are activated.Nice beta. I recommend right clicking the browser on the task bar, choosing task manager and then hit the "stats for nerds" hyperlink. All browsers should have this feature.[Edited by yukka on 2008-09-02 14:24:40]
phantasm66 said:
I am using it right now to type this message and its very very good. They have really had a good think about streamlining the browser design, page rendering is fast and smooth and I love the incognito mode.
Cueto_99 said:
I've just download it and as everyone else says, the interface is pretty clean, no need for additional toolbars, not even the status bar at the bottom showing always the page that's loading, etc. Just tabs and URL bar! that's it, and that's all that I usually use! so thumbs up for google.The only cons that I can think of is that still it doesn't support java script , Some apps in Facebook don't work cause of this issue that I hope is solved...
yukka said:
Just comparing firefox and chrome and wondering where all the space came from.. its the title bar. Where firefox or IE display the title of the webpage, chrome has its tabs.i thought java script  was enabled in it - the comic went on about how they had improved java script  to run as a class based language with a different virtual machine and all that.. isnt is implimented yet? i dont use many facebook apps.
DarkCobra said:
I too just tried it and it is indeed screaming in speed. It's quite nice actually. There is a definite learning curve involved. I got the sense that some tools I'm used to seeing were missing and the traditional tool bars that we are used to are not there so this is probably what is causing that feeling. Still, it is quite feature laden with some really cool stuff! I've been trying to find some sites that I know are heavily graphic intensive with lots of multi-media contact to see how things hold up. So far I can confirm that it has no plug-in for quite a few java script 's. On my own website it will not run certain simple java script 's and applets. It gives the message that there is no plug-in available.Now in all fairness this is Beta and hopefully they will be filling these critical gaps but unfortunately until they do this isn't exactly ready for prime time at least for me. My only other concern is what sacrifices (if any) have been made in the way of security. Browser security is a major gateway for intrusions. Google is an excellent company and I'm hoping they have done their homework. I guess time will tell. All-in-all, it has a lot of promise and I'm going to keep it and continue to work with it . . . but I'm sticking with my existing browser as the default for now.[Edited by DarkCobra on 2008-09-02 20:51:30][Edited by DarkCobra on 2008-09-02 20:53:16]
Obi-Wan Jerkobi said:
I love it. Sooooo much. Even if it's in beta, no crashes for me and excellent speed, I haven't closed the thing since I installed it and it's been running strong :D
Julio said:
Too bad Roboform doesn't work on this browser (yet), I'm just too reliant on my Firefox add-ons to leave for something else. FF3 does pretty well in speed, too.Then again, if you don't mind using a vanilla browser then Opera or Chrome can certainly serve you pretty well, too.
The Muffin Man said:
It takes up less of your screen.. but IE8b2 or FF3 are not too bigIt has a nice feature.. when i tested out DLing stuff from microsoft.com it started all downloads automaticly.. no popup box... no do you want to download this popup... nothing... I dont like that
technochicken said:
Has just as much functionality as firefox and ie, but with a much cleaner and nicer interface. Also, it has a task manager, so if there is some plugin like shockwave thats using 100 mb of ram on playing ads, you can disable it easily.