EA walks away from Take-Two deal

By on September 15, 2008, 11:55 AM
After seven months of persuasion and offers, Electronic Arts says its finally walking away from its pursuit of Take-Two Interactive. Take-Two had rejected EAs $2 billion as inadequate, but an announcement last month of a confidentiality pact between the two companies suggested they might eventually reach a deal.

EA officials said they were moving on in part because the deal was losing its luster and value over time. Certainly, with blockbuster titles such as Madden NFL 09 and Spore its not like the company needs Take-Two, but a deal would have turned out to be of huge value for both companies and their investors.

Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick said their focus remains to please customers and stockholders, though I doubt the latter will be pleased with news that Take-Two stocks have plummeted down $6.44, or 29.4%, to $15.45. All in all, EAs retreat may be temporary, as its now too late for a takeover to be completed in time for the profitable holiday season. But I wouldnt be surprised to see a renewed offer sometime next year as EA tries to solidify its position as the worlds largest independent video game publisher.




User Comments: 1

Got something to say? Post a comment
JudaZ said:
EA have a tendancy to take over companies, and then distroying them. Great That Take Two didnt take the offer or else a great future in great gaming could be treatend
Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.