Online gaming grows on consoles, Xbox 360 leads the way

By on March 13, 2009, 4:32 PM
Although PCs are still the most widely used platform then it comes to online gaming, consoles are quickly rising in popularity. This according to a recent survey among 20,000 U.S. gamers by market research firm NPD, which found that consoles now account for a quarter of all online playtime, a “statistically significant” increase from 19 percent a year ago.

The Xbox 360 was second overall and the leader for online gaming using consoles, with 50 percent of the market, despite being the only one not giving out this functionality for free. Meanwhile, online use amongst Nintendo Wii owners rose from 18 percent to 29 percent. Specific figures for other platforms were not provided, but the company said that the PS2 fell dramatically and PS3 moved up from fifth place to third place among consoles. Additionally, the report claims online gaming has also become more popular among younger users, increasing 5 percent in gamers aged 13 to 17, while decreasing slightly among older gamers.

gobbybobby said:
360 is leading the way because you get what you pay for with them, their online service is 4 star. PS3, WII and most PC games offer it free, but you get a better experiance on the 360. £40 a year is not very much anyway. Its great more people are getting into gaming. I am 16 and Hope to be a games designer when im older.
siiix said:
complex said:
[b]Originally posted by siiix:[/b][quote]omg your not serius ?! live is not a service its just let you use your xbox lan port, at least for the basic service fee.... i rater bang my head in to the wall then pay for that....its leading the way because it was 1st on the market...its not quality , its strategic marketing and all the dumb customers eating itmaybe 40pounds / $60 are not much for you , but it is a hell of a lot of money for most of us[/quote]It works out to 76 pence a week, a damn good bargain if you ask me. the service is good relaible and there's a tonne of free content. 17 million live users can't be wrong!
siiix said:
what service ? be able to use your lan port on YOUR xbox ? because thats all the basic service is. the servers are owned by the developers or publishers and the IP is your internet provider... so all you paying for is a database with you user ID and pass with a really low quality messenger addon... WHOA and MS can that get stable for $6 / month .... im truely impressed now LOL[Edited by siiix on 2009-03-13 21:16:29]
Wendig0 said:
I have to agree with siiix. I own both a ps3 and a 360. I've never had a problem with my ps3 online, and the Live service from Microsuck has given me nothing but headaches. It's no different from Sony's free service anyway, so why would I want to spend another nickel on a so called "service" that is free on my other console? Most of the time I use my computer in tandem with the playstation network, and chat with my online friends via computer when I am in game on the console. It works brilliantly. You hear that Microsoft? Free, and I'll never have a red ring of death with my ps3 like the 3 your crappy console has given me.
nightfire said:
i don't know about all of you but PC is the best online gaming ever!!!....=]
burty117 said:
out of all of you, the only one who is right id "nightfire" =PNa seriously though, i have a PS3, Xbox 360 and a very good gaming computer and The best one for online gaming is the PC, which is far superior than xbox and PS3 as its free, you get better updates for games for free and you can download videos and everything "for free!" which you cannot with the xbox. The Xbox 360 being my second choice as I have to admit, the service is good and reliable but once you pay for the year subscription, you have to pay for stupid things like themes! why?! and my third being the PS3 because its not perfect, but is free, it doesn't quite have that, user friendlyness to it like xbox live does. So yeah anyway. PC for the Win! =) LOL!
gobbybobby said:
siiix. Its a service OK. The LAN port could be used for LAN games, not online gaming.