AMD's flagship Phenom II X4 955 to arrive on April 20?

By on March 18, 2009, 6:54 PM
Following the introduction of new AM3-based Phenom II processors last month, AMD has been widely expected to announce an update to its lineup with a chip that falls above the current 940 flagship model for the AM2+ socket. The so-called Phenom II X4 955 has been all but confirmed up until now, CPU-Z screenshots of an engineering sample overclocked to 4GHz (using only air cooling) have been leaked onto the web and rumors have been tossed around suggesting a release date in April.

Today, several sites are making echo of those rumors and furthermore claiming the new part is slated for an April 20 launch. The Phenom II X4 955 will feature a core clock of 3.2GHz (up from 3.0GHz on the 940 version) along with 512KB of L2 cache memory per core and 6MB of shared L3 cache, support for dual channel DDR2 and DDR3 memory and a TDP of 125W. Additionally the new part will likely be a 'Black Edition' CPU, shipping with an unlocked multiplier, and could compete with the Core 2 Quad Q9550 at a similar ~$270 price point.

supersmashbrada said:
This thing supports ddr2/3 it could be a real winner for amd.
burty117 said:
I can't wait! I like Intel but for some unknown reason all my computers are powered by AMD as desktops but all my Laptops are powered by Intel?lol! this wasn't really anything to do with the story but yeah, i'm exited about it though! =)
x darthmonkey x said:
Hmm... it's about time AMD got back into the game, but still.... they need some way to compete directly with the i7.
Nitefang said:
Qendiil said:
WOOT! It's about time I tell ya :)Now all I need is a Classic EQ server and I'll be happy! 8D
x darthmonkey x said:
red1776 said:
im still mad at intel for rippin off Hyper transport!....ahem...go AMD!
j4m32 said:
@red1776: Intel have riped lots of stuff, I maybe wrong on some of these though:x86_64 - a proportion "borrowed" from AMD because of Intel's inadequacies with 64bit architacture. (from what little I remember)Level 3 Cache, I seem to remember Intel claiming ;Level 3 Cache would adversely affect CPU Performance in Intel CPU's', yet they only decide to implement it a year after AMD had released a CPU with Level 3 Cache.Intel aren't bad I'm not a total hater, I just don't think their products are really value for money. The Atom is astounding, their best bit of work to date if U ask me, but again AMD had already pioneered 0.8 Watt CPU's [considerably dated now comnpared to the Atom] for Developing Countires with the $100 Laptops Scheme.
WaterWalker said:
[b]Originally posted by x darthmonkey x:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by Nitefang:[/b][quote]Wait a minute, is this just as fast as the Core i7? I thought it only clocked at 3.2 If so I'm going AMD for a while, I am anyway because if this thing is OCed to 4Ghz it's better anyway for 1/5 the price.[/quote]GHz isn't everything... an i7 system will definitely give better performance, but for a premium. This proc is slated against the high-end Core 2 Quads instead.I miss the days when AMD was cheaper AND better.[/quote]I'm sorry, but I have to disagree on this point. Yes, GHz isn't everything, but it's not just the CPU that makes a PC. It's all the parts coming together and working in unison. If one part fails, the entire system fails. If the right parts are used, a mere Dual-core processor can whip a quad-core CPU. I have seen this. Don't be too hasty to judge AMD on performance to other chips. You just might be suprised at what happens.Oh, yeah, AMD is the best. :)
PanicX said:
Haha, lots of AMD fanboy optimism. Unfortunately, every AMD announcement in the past 2 years has been well over hyped so my expectations are pretty low. But I have to admit, when AMD updates their chips, they at least try to keep the same socket. Which is the right way to do it, IMO.