Blizzard confirms next MMO based on new franchise

By Justin Mann on May 14, 2009, 3:08 PM
If you examine the myriad of MMOs that have been pushed out since the success of World of Warcraft became apparent, you've probably noticed many of them follow the same pattern. After all, with 13 million subscribers, they must be doing something right. What, then, does Blizzard have in store for the future of MMOs? With such an amazing success in WoW, you'd think they would stick to it. Apparently that is not the case, though, as it's been loosely confirmed that the upcoming MMO project from Blizzard will be an entirely new franchise, one which does not rely on any of their existing content.

While only offering some short and terse commentary, Blizzard did confess that their next big project won't be within the Diablo, Starcraft or Warcraft universes, instead making use of new elements across the board. Gameplay, art, and everything else is apparently being developed from scratch, which Blizzard says is “overwhelming.”

Until the company decides to spill the beans in a more public way, such as through a press release, details will remain scarce. For now, we can only speculate on what they’re cooking up. One thing they are good at is creating interesting and perhaps addicting games, across multiple genres. Can they do it again with an entirely new franchise?

Relic said:
This sounds awesome! I am a Blizzard fan and have been playing WoW for around 4 yrs (on & off) with recently just quitting again. So many new MMO's are on the horizon I was wondering when Blizzard was gonna make some noise. I have no doubt there new MMO will be mainstream to ensure success, just curious how PvP oriented it'll be, and if its gonna be Fantasy or SciFi based =X . Just hope they do something with the Emerald Dream for WoW :( .
TomSEA said:
Blizzard puts out nothing but quality products. I have no doubt this will be huge and am also very curious to see what they've dreamed up this time. I've played other MMO's before but have deliberately stayed away from WoW as I want to have a life...LOL.Personally, I'm jacked up for the new Star Trek MMO:[url]http://www.startrekonline.com/[/url]
h0w13r said:
You know what I think? I think that they should stop dicking around and push out Diablo III. I dont care about Warcraft or any other stupid game they might throw out. I just want Diablo III and they need to stop putting it off.
gingerbill said:
iv'e quit WOW myself now but it was a great game probably the greatest MMO ever , certainly the most well made , although ultima still has a special place in my heart :).I must admit i'm surprised it a new franchise , dunno if i would say it's a brave move but they coulda just did starcraft or diable MMO and guaranteed huge sales . I tip my hat to them for trying something new.
tekkaraiden said:
They haven't had a new franchise since starcraft. I'll be very surprised if they actually manage to come up with something new.
redwallo1 said:
as a major WoW fan and a fan of Sci-fi i am hoping that they pick Frank Herbert's Dune universe as an MMO! :Dwith Blizzards well known capabilities of making an MMO they would surely be able to make that game a top seller!!
Relic said:
[b]Originally posted by TomSEA:[/b][quote]Personally, I'm jacked up for the new Star Trek MMO:[url]http://www.startrekonline.com/[/url][/quote]Saw some vids and interviews of STO not to long ago and it does look really hot. You get your OWN ships to develop :D . So does the new Star Wars: The Old Republic being made by BioWare (awesome developer and story teller). And to a degree Stargate Worlds while being made by a new developer just for this game they've spent a lot of time on it and I did enjoy the series so I gotta give it a try :) . MMO fans have a lot to look forward to in the coming years for sure with so many interesting titles. I hope none of them disappoint.
-Kestrel- said:
From the original article, a quote from Blizzard: "We have nothing to advertise for the new MMO because it's a shell of a game thus far. We've already stated it'll be a brand new franchise, which means the lore, art, and game play are being developed entirely from scratch. It's an overwhelming process, but a process through which we excel. Our track record supports this."