Download of the Week: IObit Smart Defrag

By on June 5, 2009, 7:51 PM
Disk defragmentation is one of the oldest and most effective ways of optimizing a computerís performance Ė unless you are lucky enough to be using a solid-state drive, of course. There are a number of free and commercial tools available for this specific purpose, in addition to the native Disk Defragmenter utility that comes bundled with Windows, but one that I particularly like is Smart Defrag from IObit.

It is a comprehensive full featured application with straightforward functionality. You can get a graphical view of how fragmented the hard drive is, and have the option of not only performing a defrag, but also to optimize system files that are most frequently used by placing them into the fastest access areas of the disk. One notable feature is Auto Defrag, which works quietly in the background when the system is left idle to provide real-time defragging. This is enabled by default but you can change its settings or completely disable it if you prefer scheduled or manual defrag sessions.

Smart Defrag is completely free for home or business use; by default IObit includes the Yahoo Toolbar with its application to generate revenue but you can uncheck the option during the installation process if you like. Itís also light on resources and definitely worthy of a place in your arsenal for keeping your machine in top shape. You can give it a try by downloading the 2.5MB installer here.

OneArmedScissor said:

Thanks for doing these. I've found a lot of helpful, free programs at Tech Spot, which I wouldn't have otherwise been aware of.

Free and open source software needs to be publicized more.

TD_Baker said:

There are alot of great freeware utilities out there. I have not personally tried this app but I can say I have been using Defraggler (http://www.defraggler.com) for my defragging needs and works just fine, they are the ones who created ccleaner as well.

Agreed. I like the "Download of the Week" series. Thanks for the great work

- eEg

FoReWoRd said:

wow, working well on x64 vista no hiccups!

Badfinger said:

I use Defraggler (also free) as well, on my system, I have no problem defragging one partition while playing a game located on my 2nd drive at the same time.

A lot faster than the old days when I had to defrag while asleep.

The important thing, is to do it!

Badfinger said:

Tried this program, looks excellent with optimization modes.

DarkCobra DarkCobra said:

Agreed . . . this and Defraggler are probably the best two defrag programs out there now. I use them both!

I had been using an older version of Smart Defrag, but have found JkDefrag to be best. It may not have all the "bells and whistles", but for a basic defragging / optimizing freeware app, it's pretty good.

I agree with the others. The "download of the week" is very helpful.

Absolutely the "Download of the week" is very helpful and for this reason alone Techspot ranks up there with the best PC sites out there. Keep up the good work

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Another thanks for the download of the week. Lots of great utilities out there, and hard to keep track of them all.

So far the IOBit app seems like a great addition to my toolshed but I was wondering if the IOBit app by default somehow disables the use of my native Windows Defrag app. It was only my first hunch and seems unlikely but then again I'm not sure about Defrag apps and the such. It had been a while since I tried my WIn Defrag so it could of been a coincidence I suppose.

Thanks!

TBolt said:

Thanks!

Hmm...I don't believe it's suppose to disable the use of any Windows tools. I use it and still am able to run Windows defrag (running on both Xp64 and Win7). Interesting.