Asus Eee Keyboard delayed until August

By on July 6, 2009, 4:10 AM
We reported back in May that the Asus Eee Keyboard was expected to ship at some point in late June, but that obviously didn't happen. If youíre unfamiliar with the device, itís quite the interesting package. First put on display during CES earlier this year, it's essentially a netbook crammed inside a keyboard which houses an 800x480 touch-screen display where a keypad would traditionally reside.

After a recent discussion with Asus marketing executive, John Swatton, Tech Digest questioned Eee Keyboardís target. According to Swatton, the gadget is meant to be a controllable media center, fit for use in your living area. As such, it can stream HD content from its 32GB SSD over HDMI to a television.

While the Eee Keyboard is still expected to see a consumer launch, Swatton says you wonít get your hands on it until late August. Given the lack of competition in this particular foray, Asus has been able to take their sweet time with getting their latest gizmo out the door.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wonder what OS it will run? I'd like to see Android running on it.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I would like to see windows 7 to be honest, imagine if this was nvidia powered? you could play WoW on your keyboard!

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

For a screen that small I don't see how that would be practical. You would get back/neck problems trying to see the screen and play the game.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL! true! then the EU would go mental about how asus are causing back injuries and costing the health care industry money!

This would be kewl, kind of like having a full keyboard with itouch features on it. I hope it will have a custom IR interface for controlling my TV, Stereo and etc.

(If anyone thought of using this screen to play games on (even productivity software) is just not reading the article.)

tengeta tengeta said:

Why does something have to be Nvidia powered to run World of Warcraft? The short, but sadly existent amount of time I played that game was with ATI cards that ran the game perfectly (and at the end of the day, Intel GMA's can even get WoW done).

WoW players should be considered the technological equivalent of an 80 year old. Then again, they buy $300 Gigabit cards with an Orc picture on the box and actually believe that WoW is playing faster somehow.

DarkCobra DarkCobra said:

A very interesting product. The more I look at it the more intrigued I am by it. Assuming the quality is good and the price-point is reasonable it will be an interesting alternative to the Netbook.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

If you read one of my comments on that ion powered samsung netbook a few pages back, someone had a go at me saying wow required imense power and that an Nvidia 9400 would not run wow! I totally agree with tengeta, wow doesn't need much power at all, I play wow but not religiously, and i was just stating that this keyboard could actually run wow, but its just a keyboard! i just find it imense how much tech as moved on sinse 2000 when that would have seemed impossible.