Razer intros Naga, a 17-button MMO mouse

By on August 20, 2009, 12:30 PM
Razer introduced a 17-button mouse for massively multiplayer online games at the Gamescom expo today. Named Naga, the mouse has a twelve-digit keypad built into the left side of its shell - the perfect spot to keep your thumb busy. It connects via USB and features a 5600dpi 3.5G laser sensor, 1,000Hz ultrapolling / 1ms response time, a maximum tracking speed of 200 inches per second and Teflon feet.

To further expand the Naga's functionality, there are MMO-specific software add-ons, you can have unlimited character profiles, and you can stack commands on any given mouse button by defining a modifier key. For instance, by holding down a keyboard key, you can configure and execute several layers of commands with a single mouse button.

For the curious, the Razer Naga's dimensions in millimeters are 116L x 69W x 41.6H. The company says it will be available online "soon," and will be shipping worldwide for $80.

teklord teklord said:

I see this being more useful for apps than just MMO's.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

And I thought the Wow mouse was a bit much.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Teklord said:

I see this being more useful for apps than just MMO's.

Agreed, this could be very useful outside the MMO world. Personally got myself a nice 5 button mouse which is a bit dated and this is reminding me I should get something new .

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

this could prove to be something interesting i can see its handyness if i was able to pair it with Graphic Apps like Maya, 3ds Max or Photoshop

vineel said:

it looks nice!

i think its useful for people who wants to make a multiple featured mouse experiance

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow... A mouse I can use for City of Heroes, GIMP and TurboCAD... Sign me up! heh.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

it looks like 'mouse vader'

license27kill license27kill said:

almost perfect.

but not reasonable enough..

you may accidentally click one of those..

but i like the brand though

Part of me thinks this is ridiculous. Part of me really, really wants one.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Is it me but does this thing looks like its made by Texas Instruments meets acid.

Hey Red, "Mouse Vader" Good one!

Side Pocket

shossofe shossofe said:

oh geez, i'm staring at my Dell mouse and then i look at that picture. Won't it be uncomfortable for people to be using this mouse? First off, those buttons have to be big enough so you dont press 2 buttons that easily. And since I see a numpad(?) that would mean that mouse is pretty tall. My mouses are already small enough for me to rest my wrists comfortably on my table as I game and use the computer. And looking at that curve in the front makes it seem like I'll have to raise my whole hand just to use this mouse. And since Rzr is a gaming accessory company, that would mean I have to have my hand raised to play my games?

But then again, after I think about it, mayb this mouse is so long, your wrist can rest on the "belly". But if you do that, those numpads aren't that very useful....just use the keyboard for the shortcuts.....

This is of course just what i think it is. It is just a picture of it so I wouldn't know what it is really like unless somebody reviewed it or if I use it myself. So bleh, let's see what Razer cooked up this time.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

yes the Timothy O'Leary line of mouses

I own this mouse, it is awesome for MMOs, it doesn't allow you to bind keys outside MMOs, which is terrible. The mouse is comfortable and well built, the buttons are sturdy so you can't accidentally click them without a little force. Buttons 1-6 are easy to click without effort, 7-9 a little strain, and 10-12 can be awkward. Overall I saw a 15% improvement in my skill output. So if your a serious MMO gamer, this mouse is only for you, otherwise it is a waste.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Overall I saw a 15% improvement in my skill output.

Thanks for the feedback, Guest. Out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by the text I quoted?

Isn't "skill output" a measure used in the computer-human/human-computer interaction (CHI/HCI) field by academics?

There was a famous incident in 1988 at CHI when in the middle of a presentation a PhD was making about his thesis, comparing performance on a foot-mouse (a mouse that sits on the floor and is moved with your foot) versus a hand mouse, was interrupted by a very prominent researcher (Bill Buxton, look him up). Buxton announced that the entire study was worthless, and the PhD invalid/absurd, because what you had to measure was not how fast the mouse moved but how much human throughput was enabled by freeing the hand that was otherwise stuck moving back and forth to the mouse or trackball. Comparing raw movement speed of the footmouse versus hand mouse was pointless and misleading. The experts present (and every person present was an expert of some sort) had to agree and this was very embarassing for the student and his supervisor, Ben Schneiderman of U Maryland (whose fault this was ultimately).

Since that time people who measure performance of various UI combinations have remained terrified of this happening to them at a prominent conference and various metrics that are acceptable have emerged, all due to fear of Buxton, who is the god of multimodel interface metrics.