Blizzard details third WoW expansion, Cataclysm

By on August 24, 2009, 1:53 PM
Blizzard has officially unveiled World of Warcraft's third expansion, "Cataclysm." Discussed at the company's recent BlizzCon event, the expansion will contain a slew of changes, updates, and features. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm will bring two new playable races; a level cap of 85, new zones and quests, and will modify much of the existing world.

As suspected, the two new races will be the Worgen (Alliance) and Goblins (Horde) - and new race and class combinations will be possible. With a raised level cap comes new abilities and talents. New high-level raid content and zones will be introduced, including Uldum, Grim Batol, and the great Sunken City of Vashj'ir. Players can also look forward to guild levels and achievements, PvP objectives and battlegrounds, a new secondary profession, and flying mounts in Azeroth.

Cataclysm will alter much of the base game and current world. Check out a trailer after the jump.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Very cool, I personally was wrong and didn't think they'd actually go for a goblin/worgen as new races or have so many interesting changes to announce @ Blizzcon (Tauren Pallies 0.o ). I might have to reactivate my account come expansion time and play again to experience everything. Wonder when they plan to release this, especially since I want to play the new SW MMO too. So many awesome titles on the horizon .

Wow, enjoy those new level caps!

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I'd be guessing about a year at the earliest given Blizzards track record with wow expansions.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

as a player of the original lands and owner of a lvl 70 who was diillusioned by the raids in the first expansion (and the amount of my life i was commiting to it) I am excited to see them finally open up uldam. There were so many hints about it in the game and I think I would lvl up just to finally see it. I am more interested in seeing inside than I am seeing the lich king

tengeta tengeta said:

So glad I quit before the first expansion.

Ahh, but the real question is, will the new expansion make the game even EASIER! I got so sick of the rapidly decreasing difficulty that I quit in December 08, and unless some serious revamping takes place so that clearing raid bosses actually means something again, I'm not interested. These days you have but to mash your face into the keyboard to land tier pieces. It's pathetic.

I have to admit the trailer looks awesome, and hopefully Blizzard won't disappoint like they did with the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. I am hooked on this game, everyday I find myself playing away. Very addicting game to pay $15.00 per month for.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

yukka said:

... I am excited to see them finally open up uldam. There were so many hints about it in the game and I think I would lvl up just to finally see it. I am more interested in seeing inside than I am seeing the lich king

Yah I really want to see Uldam too. Glad to see they are adding. Along with Flying mounts in Azeroth, or so the trailer claims.

how do i start the new patch for WoW??