Blu-ray facing slow adoption among PCs

By on August 27, 2009, 2:51 AM
According to research firm iSuppli, Blu-ray drives have a long path ahead before establishing a strong presence in the PC arena. The firm concluded that despite the accelerated consumption of Blu-ray players, as well as more and cheaper high-definition movie titles, few PCs are Blu-ray equipped. It is estimated that by 2013 Blu-ray drives will be present in 16.3% of shipped PCs - up from 3.6% this year.

iSuppli senior analyst Michael Yang said the technology would eventually find success, but that success will be limited in the PC sector through the next five years. Yang went on to add that cost is the primary hurdle. Consumers are simply unwilling to pay a premium for high-definition PC drives. Rightfully so, overall there is a pretty limited library of Blu-ray content.

Yang compared Blu-ray's transition to dominance with previous eras of storage media. The 3.5" floppy drive lived for some 15-plus years before falling out to CDs, which eventually succumbed to the present DVD. The change is typically stimulated by a rapid adoption in everything including music, games, and movies - a crucial phase that Blu-ray has yet to hit.

Richy2k9 said:

hello!

seems like they should concentrate on having cheaper BD-Burners & BD-Rs, BD Drive only won't make it.

cheers...

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Completely agree, the media is almost the same price as DVD's but the players are an insane price! once they're down to £30 or less then the ball will get rolling =)

i don't think the music industry has ever embraced 3.5" floppies or DVDs

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Thats not true, go to HMV in london and theres loads of DVD music there, just showing live tours and music videos mainly, but they did try, When I first saw them i was actually shocked as to hom many there was!

-Kestrel- said:

The reason Blu-Ray drives aren't found in more PCs--especially home-brews--is because the software to play Blu-Ray discs ranges from nonexistent to horrible. I must admit, though, one thing I miss after moving from Windows to OS X is NOT having my internal BD player available anymore.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Blu-Ray is the poster child of how not to implement new technology. Toshiba and Sony engaged in a needless HD technology battle against each other, wasting hundreds of millions of dollars pushing their own version of HD. Toshiba eventually won and said, "Yippee - here it is, the best thing since sliced bread. Everybody buy one!" Only there were no players, no media, and a lot of confusion as to exactly what it was. On top of that, the pricing for everything from media to players was off-the-charts compared to normal DVD technology, and still is in some cases. And as Richy2K9 and Kestrel mentioned, burners are expensive, few and far between and software is clunky as hell.

And this is for a technology that has been out for over a year and a half now.

Have to agree with what has been said before, too expensive and software to work with it is pretty poor to average.

Although it was Sony who actually won the HD Technology battle against Toshiba, Sony developed Blu-Ray hence the PS3 coming with a Blu-Ray player, Toshiba came up with HD-DVD which was dropped early last year.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Yup, that's true - I stand corrected.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

The problem is all the damn copyright protection on top of the cost. I have to have a HDCP compliant video card and monitor before I can watch a BluRay movie on my computer.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I just use windows media classic to play blue ray movies, like a previous poster said, the software sucks, even the firmware for stand alone blueray players have issues and is hard to update.

habbfan said:

Blu Ray 2 G*y

This tech is a non starter. Too many restrictions. Too expensive to implement. Too expensive for both equipment and media compared to DVD. Economic down turn and increased internet options result in something that will not fly. It will hang on in much the same way that vinyl LP's do, expensive, rare and of questionable value.

I only purchase DVD under $10. I rip them to a reasonably high bit rate and burn them to DVD to play on my DIVX capable player. It upscales and I get quite good results. Of course, I am older and have somewhat less than 20/20 eye sight but it does the trick. I have been to see the difference side by side and really couldn't tell of much difference.

This thing reminds of one of the key reasons VHS beat Beta. The Beta cassettes could record about 1 hour and the VHS could record 2. Sony thought people would only want to record TV programs and not 2 hour movies. Recording FTA movies and the rise of a home rental market settled the issue. An earlier example of Sony's wrong headed decisions.

The rather large collective yawn that has greeted the full scale advertising assault fo Blu Ray should be obvious to all concerned by now. We have seen the demise of the home video rental market come ever closer, there exists fewer outlets for spontaneous purchase or rental of these BR physical disks. The selling job required to push these into a majority position is going to be huge. I don't believe the firms behind this have the time, money or stomach for the losses they will incur.

gguerra said:

Not as bad as some people think and it will only get better

Current Pricing (Approximate)

LG DVD Burner $140

Sony BD-ROM $79

Generic Brand 25GB BD-R Around $3

Software: to "Backup BD's AnyDVD HD ($79)

w/ImgBurn (free)

Playback software: PowerDVD, WinDVD or my favorite Total Media Theatre

This software solution is adequate. AnyDVD HD will Rip to the Hard Drive in either BD Structure or Image file (ISO). Imgburn which is free will then burn it flawlessly. The only thing missing although not completely (BD Rebuilder) is good software that will "squeeze" a 50GB on to 25GB BD-R

The only thing that is still pricy are the BD-R 50GB which are required for most movies out nowadays. They are around $10 each in quantity

Give it 6 months to a year and things should improve

And as far as not seeing the difference in "upscaling" DVD players and true Blu-Ray you would have to be blind not to tell the difference (no offense). Try watching a superior quality Bluray like Dark Knight on a 52" 1080p LCD and you will be amazed.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Use of Blu-ray media for data storage I dare to say is almost non-existent. My guess is that drives won't become mainstream until the marginal price of including one on a fully equipped PC vs. a standard DVD drive comes closer to zero.

Toshiba didn't eventually win, Sony did, BluRay is Sony's standard. Recently I read some news about Toshiba applying to join BR group.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I've always had an unanswered question about this. It doesn't seem that Toshiba can actually lose with respect to Blu-Ray vs HiDef DVD. TSST is Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology. Samsung championed Blu-Ray. So, since they already build drives together, one would think that Toshiba is already in the Blu-Ray business. Now, whatever extravagant licensing fees Sony can extract to let them use the format, are another matter altogether.

The entertainment industry seems really out of touch with the economy, if they think they are going to get rapid adoption of Blu-Ray, in light with the prices they charge, There is apparently no portion of people's "disposable income" they feel they're not entitled to.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Blugay goes against the trend of technology. Things are supposed to get better and cheaper.

Instead, its better than dvd, more expensive than dvd but requires expensive players, and more restrictive. I don't think there is really any technological reason that it should still cost 5x what a dvd player does. Now that BluRay has won the HD war, and did so like 2 years ago now, if the REALLY wanted widespread adoption they'd sell the players at or below cost of production. Make a cheap player for $50, an enthusiast player for $80-100 and a high end one for $150-200 and people will jump all over it. Once the hardware is in the homes the disk sales will come.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

"blugay", SNGX? I've never heard it called that before.

Although, if they sold the players as loss leader items, I fear they'd want to raise the price of the discs even more. Sort of like the relationship between ink and printers.

Ten years from now when UV-Ray disc players are beginning to be availablem Blu-Ray discs and payers will be affordable, just as DVD is now. And you talk about DRM....you just wait.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

yes, blugay.

Toshiba tried this when they saw they were probably going to lose, and they sold HD-DVD players for $100 at Wal-Mart. I got one of them actually. I bought it knowing they'd probably lose, but there were a few good titles out on HDDVD, and I got Planet Earth gifted to me. I don't care how bad HDDVD lost, Planet Earth on HDDVD still looks f-ing fantastic on my 46" bravia.

freythman freythman said:

Don't worry about DRM, cranky, if it can be created, it most certainly will be cracked... Nonetheless, when Blu-Ray Burners become cheaply available, or my favorite games are on Blu-Ray, then I'll succumb to the rushing Blu tide.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Is That Anything Like "GAYDAR"......?

yes, blugay.

Nah they wouldn't raise the prices, well they might, but I bet a buisness model could be made up showing that they could sell the players at a loss and gain money on disk sales. Isn't that what MS did with the xbox? Plus, I'm sure people, including me, would pick up a player for $50 or less, and then be like "well I've got the player, I guess I need to start buying some bluray disks for it"..

I agree, to a point. I just don't think the disposable income is around ATM. I bought my first DVD player, (Pioneer), when after the price dropped to an astounding $129.95, and a stand alone DVD recorder, when the price dropped from $1000,00 to $289.95. People are stupid and lazy, I fear that the internet will captivate more and more of the weak of mind, as a sole source of TV and Movie entertainment. I can't relinquish the notion that, something tangible, like a DVD, is the only way to own and enjoy video media.

The oddity here is, many people can't tell the difference. I was at Walmart, and some people were looking at the TVs. I showed them how to tell a TN panel, from the better types. "See look, it almost goes into negative when you view it off axis". "Well that doesn't matter does it", was the reply.

The problem with format change, is you're expected to buy all new copies of the same things you already. When the discussion turns to Blu-Ray it's quality of reproduction far exceeds the quality of much of the source. Would I be branded an *****, it I bought the entire "I love Lucy" series on Blu-Ray? Probably not, but I damned well should be.

The thing that really brought this home to me recently, was watching "Transformers", in IMAX. I sincerely doubt that it was ever shot in IMAX, just a transfer to that format. Grainy, unsharp, and suffering dramatic amounts of rectilinear distortion at the ends of the screen.

I bought the conclusion of Battlestar Galactica, and standard DVD (upconverted) is way capable of showing the source's faults. I'm certainly not willing to spring an extra 20 bucks for a Blu-Ray set, to sit there and watch a s***load of video noise in the shadows.

Love those 720P newscasts though, you can keep track of how the anchorwomen are aging.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I always hear that people can't tell the difference. I wonder how true that is. I bet if you try and compare HD to SD at Wal-Mart there probably is little difference, likely because walmart has split their component video 40 times to run to all their TVs.

I think though if you gave them a digital cable or a satellite source and showed them composite, svid, component, 720p hdmi, 1080p hdmi, they would be able to tell the difference between every one of them with the exception of maybe component and 720. I think a lot of the "I can't tell the difference" is either from people with really bad eyesight OR victims of poor setups.

mailpup mailpup said:

...they could sell the players at a loss and gain money on disk sales.
The problem with that is the ones making the Blu-Ray hardware are not the same ones publishing the disks.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

That is partially true. One of them making disks IS Sony though... Sony could sell bluray players at or below costs.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

dont' worry! as usual all HW follows the same route, high price & scarce in the beginning & very cheap in the end .. we just need it to reach the pirates ... ha!

moreover i use Blu-ray on a PS3 & all i can say is WOW!, i on't still replace my DVD collection, they are upscaled on it, i need to start filling my Blu-ray collection for i can find media almost same price as DVDs online.

i really want a blu-ray drive on my PC, mostly for backup ... i do have a lot to do for i do video recording & multimedia authoring, the BD-Drives available are only half the price of a burner but still too expensive, mostly when we have to add BD-R (25Gb ONLY) price + the 2 hours of burning ... yes i know some having a BD-Writer .. it will be worth it when i'll have less than 1$ BD-R & burn time not exceeding 25 minutes.

so all the manufacturers out there .. release some cheap media & burners ... & let the world enjoy pure HD marvel ..

cheers!

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Yeh, the rub is that bluray doesn't look any better than hddvd, they just won by a powerplay with money. HDDVD of Planet Earth is going to look just as good as the BR one.

So I don't think the real argument here is against how great it looks, I think the reason the slow adoption (as the headline we are replying to states) is that its too restrictive and too expensive.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Double post very sorry!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

hello ...i really want a blu-ray drive on my PC, mostly for backup ...
The only trouble with backing up to Blu-Ray is this; if you damage or lose one Blu-Ray disc, you lose 5 DVDs worth of material, a double layer BR disc, 10 DVDs.

I have a certain disdain and uncertainty about magnetic storage but, the most cost effective solution to bulk storage, is HDD. Fill it up, pull it from the computer, put it back in the antistatic bag, and on to a safe place.

The only way that Blu-Ray's 1080P would look better than say, 720P is if the source material were designed and produced for the format in the first place.

You can take an audio recording from the 60s, "digitally remaster" it, then release it on CD. But guess what, it still sounds like it was recorded on a POS magnetic tape recorder from the sixties. Granted that you would not suffer the loses than were interjected by the vinyl record. So, it does sound better, but it surely doesn't sound like it was recorded yesterday either

Blu-Ray is no difference in this respect, if the source sucks, then the disc will suck. Here again, I certainly don't need the expense of BR, to watch DVD transfers of 10 year or more old TV series. DVD will be fine, since all the studio is doing is upconverting the source material in the first place. My DVD player will do that for me, thank you very much, and at 20% of the cost.

The most recent example of "source failure" I can come up with is, "Transformers, Revenge of The Fallen". I saw this in IMAX. Now, I'm pretty sure this movie was never shot in IMAX, just regular digital or film movie format. The net result from the transfer was unsharp, and suffering from vast amounts of rectilinear distortion at the edges of the screen. Micheal Bay seems to think vast amounts of motion blur will eliminate the need for vast amounts of quality digital animation work. He's wrong, so I'm really looking forward to the DVD of this movie, but not so much the Blu-ray.

Stands to reason doesn't it, BLUR in 1080P is still BLUR.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Just for fun... Seinfeld on BluRay will look better than it did on TV originally. It was done on film, and they've rescanned the film for hd. That is why you see Seinfeld on TBS HD and it actually looks decent.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Prime Example of "Source Failure"..........

I absolutely loathe Seinfeld. They should have gotten somebody funny to write it, and somebody funny to play the part of Jerry Seinfeld, fired Jason Alexander, gotten Christopher LLoyd to play the dufus, since he was mostly ripping "Jim" from "Taxi" anyway. After which, they should have added a full frontal nudity scene of Julia Louis Dreyfus every other episode. (At least for the early years).

So, in this case, I won't be out at 12:01 AM the Tuesday they release the entire box set of Seinfeld on Blu-Ray, for that matter, DVD or VHS either.

I appreciate that you may be correct about the quality of the material, but really, DILLIGAF.

This goes double ditto for "Friends". They should have tossed an Emmy or two at Jennifer Aniston's nipples, and cancelled that POS too!

There are a myriad of TV transfers to DVD that have many faults, mostly poor definition, and gobs of noise in the shadows during low light scenes. "Seinfeld" seems like it would be no trick to transfer anyway, since most of it occurs on a fully lit sound stage.

CBHD will take Blu-Ray out before there is any major inroads anywhere it already out sells it 3 to 1 in China the west is next!!

bwchato said:

i still use 3.5 floppy's and back up most important files on my pc with DVD'S.i'm not ready to give up either in the near future.i use the floppy's for the F6 when installing windows clean

AtK SpAdE AtK SpAdE, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I think its having some problems because to the average user, it just doesnt offer a benefit. The jump from VHS to DVD (as far as movies go) was a bit easier for most people to swallow. They are more reliable, smaller, and the introduction of chapters made things much more convenient.

Blueray(gay) just doesn't jump out to most people as something worth it. And if the general population doesn't jump on, its going to be rough for any technology to mainstream.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Blu-Ray is suffering from the fact that DVD is very, very good, especially if it's delivered upconverted via HDMI.

While I'm sure Blu-Ray is a fair jump better than DVD, the increase in quality from VHS to DVD is so dramatic, that it almost gives you whiplash.

mailpup mailpup said:

If Sony were to do that, it would certainly rile their "partners," those companies that supported Sony against the rival system. If they were undercut in that manner, they might have to stop making and selling Blu-Ray players and that would weaken the drive to wider Blu-Ray adoption.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You gotta think here that Sony's business model normally doesn't take into account who they piss off, especially their customers.

But, at this point they have a completely captive "audience". Suppose they got mad and formed an alliance against Sony. Since Sony is the licensing agent for Blu-Ray, they would need to offer a competing format. HD-DVD is as dead as a doornail, so another format would have to be created. Since you can't float Blu-Ray yet, and people got burned on HD-DVD, good luck trying to get anything going against Sony, at least for the time being. Just head back to your board room and say rude things about them. Curse your fate, as it were.

mailpup mailpup said:

My point was more along the lines of simple economics rather than competing formats. If the other manufacturers who are now producing Blu-Ray hardware can't make a profit selling players because Sony decided to sell theirs at a loss, they would likely stop producing them. I don't think that would be a good thing for Blu-Ray as a whole and that wouldn't be good for Sony in the long run.

Corwin613 said:

I think part of the reason blu-ray isn't so popular is because unless you have a HD TV (which not everyone does as of yet) it is just a really expensive DVD player....

Blu-ray players are now down to about 100 USD movies are about 25-30... still a bit to much for me to buy

gguerra

TechSpot Enthusiast Member since: May 2007, 407 posts

Not as bad as some people think and it will only get better

Current Pricing (Approximate)

LG DVD Burner $140 <----- this the Blu Ray burner or just the DVD burner? cuz i bought a Lite on DL burner for under 50$ that I really like and have had no problems with it at all

mailpup mailpup said:

It would be nice to know the model number of the LG but if that is an optical drive for a PC, then I'd say for that price that would be a BD combo drive, a Blu-Ray reader and DVD/CD burner.

Corwin613 said:

Hmm yeah I would have to say your right on that one since the only Blu-ray burner ive seen is running around 200$ now (the cheapest that is)

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

My, My, this thread has taken a strange turn,,(not that that's bad)...

Blu-Ray burners at Newegg; [link]

And this price on a single layer write only disc; [link] is just plain stupid. If you do the math 3 of these almost equals buying a hundred DVD blanks; [link] ! Not to mention you can get free shipping on the DVDs from time to time.

You wouldn't think the manufacturers would be stupid enough to agonize out loud, or even wonder why there's, "slow adoption".

maddmatt02 said:

for everyone complaining about Bluray prices, just go to amazon or ebay or something. I have just over 20 right now, when it was relatively new I was paying around 25-30 for a few, then went online and have gotten most for 10-15 online, which was cheaper than the same movie on DVD in the store, and I have gotten my last few new, for under 10 bucks.

of course that doesnt beat best buys 3.99 and 4.99 dvd sales...

Corwin613 said:

its not the disc (movie) prices that everyone seems to be complaining about its the players

But yeah the blank blu-ray media is a tad expensive like 10+ per disc

gguerra said:

I meant BD Burner, my mistake which you could logically make that conclusion. I paid $25 for my DVD burners (Samsung) and they work excellent.

Here is a link for the BD Burner

[link]

I think this ones has expired but I see them all the time for around that price.

As for blanks they are under $3 for 25GB