Microsoft to address five critical vulnerabilities on Patch Tuesday

By on September 4, 2009, 9:30 AM
Microsoft has issued an advance notification that it is preparing to release five security bulletins on Tuesday, September 8. Redmond considers all five of the vulnerabilities to be critical, citing an impact of remote code execution -- in other words, a hacker could potentially gain control of a compromised system.

The vulnerabilities affect a number of Windows operating systems, including Windows 2000, Windows XP (x86 and x64), Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64), Windows Vista (x86 and x64), and Windows Server 2008 (x86 and x64). Microsoft will host a webcast to address questions regarding the bulletins a day after their release (September 9) at 11AM PST.

In addition to the critical patches, Microsoft will release an updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool -- but no fix for the IIS (Internet Information Service) vulnerability made public August 31.

fastvince said:

I am getting alittle tired of all these patches. Its like having your car recalled over and over for the same thing.

Will windows7 also have never ending critical security patches ? Why should I buy it then ?

poundsmack said:

would you rather MS not adapt their OS to block emerging threats? Personally I like it as a feature more than an anoyance.

spikester48661 spikester48661 said:

YES M$ will be patching windows 7. it patchs all its software.HI HI HI its part of using a PC

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

fastvince said:

are you serious fast?....do you not really know the answer to that??? Go get yourself Linux and you will not have to endure these terribly bothersome security patches any longer.

fastvince said:

red1776,

yea...I knew the answer...just hoping that it wasen't true...I just get tired of having to update over 500 client boxes every couple of months...maybe I will find another job..ha ha

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Linux has security updates too, every OS does.

If this was Apple though, there would be 35 posts bashing Apple for knowing about the vulnerabilities and holding off on releasing the patches...

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Linux has security updates too, every OS does.

are you saying that is true?...or thats what the perception is? not trying to be funny, im not an apple user.

maestromasada said:

I will wait a couple of weeks before installing the patches, it happended in the past they haven't code them properly and system crashes. Anyway, for this remote code execution to occur you really have to be accessing some sort of strange webpages, I only regulary vistis a dozen or so of sites (unless googling something) which are good.

Wouldn't a firewall block any attempt of remote code execution??

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

There is a lot of negative attitude towards Apple here. I don't know if I've seen anyone on this site blaming Apple for knowing of a vulnerability and not immediately releasing the fix, but it has happened before (releasing a fix after a delay, just like this), and I have seen Apple take a lot of heat from people for it. I can't say for sure that it was here though, probably wasn't, but that may only be because (1) I didn't view much TS frontpage news until it was remerged with the forums or (2) because TS doesn't post as much Mac news as PC news just because that isn't the primary focus of TS.

aqua said:

thanks for leting us know about the patches..

is just a matter of hit a singl key.