Valve displeased over Left 4 Dead 2 ban

By Justin Mann on September 18, 2009, 3:07 PM
Valve's upcoming sequel to the very popular Left 4 Dead zombie shooter has faced a lot of resistance since its announcement. From the get-go, fans of the original were upset over the perception that Valve would be abandoning their existing playerbase just to chase cash. Valve has worked hard to try and dispel that notion, by promising additional Left 4 Dead DLC down the road.

That isn't the only hardship they've faced, however, and yesterday the gaming community was shocked to learn that the Australian Classification Board blacklisted the upcoming game. Needless to say, Valve is upset about that decision. With a November 17 release date quickly approaching, there isn't a lot of time for them to begin hacking up a game that's probably receiving its final touches. They have officially responded to the blacklisting, saying with terse words that they are very disappointed about the move.

Without giving too much detail, the principle reason behind the ban was excessive violence. Anyone who has played Left 4 Dead (or any shooter for that matter) would likely scoff at that, as the gore aspect is a central focus. Does the Australian government expect Valve to begin retro-editing a title so close to release? Will Valve cave, or simply try to get the game re-classified?

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm surprised that Valve is surprised. This is what they should expect from a primarily socialist government. Australia already has a gun ban in place that has led to the crime rate steadily rising, yet they won't admit it. Simply said, the government feels they know what the people need more than the people themselves.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Isn't there a third option of just not doing anything? I wouldn't until after I was finished polishing my original product - then, as time and resources permit, make the changes necessary to get it passed.

BlindObject said:

Sucks for Australia.

Seriously be happy they are making a second one. I understand they are makin it early, but its because it was a major success. Stop your complaining, be happy they want to make a second one. SERIOUSLY.... STOP complaining play on the new multiplayer they offer.....

Brewskie said:

If I were Gabe Newell I would strip the game down to 2d sprites, 8bit color and tell the Aussies that they can thank their government for destroying free trade and dictating what the People can see and hear.

csw05 said:

Wendig0 said:

Wow Wendig0 you have made my day with that comment. A primarily socialist government you say. Thats a laugh. Oh that gun ban? Thing is i dont turn on the evening news and see another school shooting here in Oz. People who want the game will find ways to get it. Its that simple.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I wonder if this could be solved by some kind of ballet screen...quick, get me Steve Ballmer!

no you just see some psycho starting fires killing 220 people or so. Yeah that's not deadly at all. 'Oz' is much better off without weapons for everyone as a right. Too bad for the natives too, huh, only whitie had guns. Blind blabbering fool.

tengeta tengeta said:

Not too long before you see in game options a choice of "Australia Mode".

Just my guess.

TBolt said:

Heh...Valve sure is taking it on the chin with this "new" title. They probably wouldn't have squawked so much if it hadn't already been drug through the mud by the boycott community. Now, Austrailia's ban will dig even more into the already / potentially lost profits. See what greed gets you?

Not to totally derail this thread, but I'd actually like to hear from Aussie's and their thoughts on their gun ban...maybe for another thread.

BTW...

...People who want the game will find ways to get it. Its that simple.

And criminals who want guns will find ways to get them. To bad for the innocent, unarmed victims.

Valve should be thankful for the free advertising. The general reason people buy FPS games is for violent fast paced action. Australia's government just told all potential customers that this game shouldn't disappoint people interested in that.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Yeah, except now they can't buy it legally and are forced to pirate it giving no props to the developers.

Am I the only one thinking, "**** Australia. Stop releasing games there and see how long it takes for their government to crumble under the whines of the people"?

Captain828 Captain828 said:

What I really don't get is how come the original L4D ISN'T banned as well?! The gory effects are 100% identical to L4D2!

About the ban itself, it's mostly because there is no "18+" rating for games in Aussieland, with the highest being "MA15+" if I remember well.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

csw05 said:

Wendig0 said:

Ah, yet you fail to acknowledge the fact that armed home invasions have steadily risen, along with armed robberies, since the gun ban was imposed. Only the law abiding citizens gave up their guns, the criminals did not. I'm not going to turn this into a political debate any more than I already have, so I'll just say this - check your facts. I've lived in Australia too. Melbourne for 3 1/2 years on the job.

No-one cares about gun control either way except for horrid middle class busybodies and deranged hillbillies. This is about censorship, and the political right are just as bad - if not moreso - than the left when it comes to that.

The Australian gun ban is just an extension of the British gun ban. When my wife came to the states she said it was like a twilight zone moment, as everyone was so friendly and polite, I said yes dear, we still have our guns, and guns always make for a polite society. As to valve whining about the ban, grow up you sooks... its a violent and graphically overdone game. This is the results of over a decade of violent television, funny that sex is bad for tv but murder is ok, whereas without sex we would not be here. So, this is the pinnacle of our evolution, where natural biological functions are the great taboo but defilement of the rights of individuals through acts of violence are the grail for those seeking profits.

PAX,

aZoth

Tengeta, shhhh... Don't say it too loudly. Somebody might hear you and make it so.

Classic Rock said:

Concerning the debate over the "Gun Ban" in Australia, I would just like to say that I live in Aus, and personally I think it's a great thing. Sure I love my guns (Yes, I do have guns - and legally too, despite being just a civillian). The "Gun Ban" only affect assault rifles and other similar automatic weapons that, in my oppinion, the everyday civillian shouldn't have anyway.

There is just no need for us to have Assault Rifles or SMG's, at all. Seriously, some of the guns you Americans own is...overkill.

Wendig0 said:

I'm surprised that Valve is surprised. This is what they should expect from a primarily socialist government.> Australia already has a gun ban in place that has led to the crime rate steadily rising, yet they won't admit it.< Simply said, the government feels they know what the people need more than the people themselves.

Australia already has a gun ban in place that has led to the crime rate steadily rising, yet they won't admit it........... WOW....what the ****.... ever seen bowling for columbine... keep ****** like this away from parliament..... Cuz australia has to much crime right? We should give people guns cuz killings cool.... /sarcasm off.

Taylor

Seriously, some of the guns you Americans own is...overkill.

You mean the ones that are illegal under the US Assault Weapon Ban? Even with our reputation for toting AK's in the South and gangsters wielding Uzi's from LA, most people in the US stick with legally available guns. >_>

I think that any game should be allowed to be released without a rating like movies i.e. "Not rated", not banned simply because of its content; that's pure censorship, and a violation of basic civil rights. A hard loss for Valve since Aussie's wanting to play the game will have to pirate it.

Hey,

I live in Australia and I am very disappointed with the ban, but I can't see why every American is bagging my country and our government. And did someone say that Australia has a large crime rate? Well im sorry to say citizens of America, but you have one of the most dangerous, crime commiting countries. I mean im not saying I like the ban, but i can understand why they banned it. Because they dont want young kids seeing needless, relentless violence. So, to all the Aussie baggers, I say '**** YOU!'

No, **** you, you anti-antiaustralian.

wait, a WHOLE three and a half years? With that experience in our fine country I see no reason to doubt your judgment. Of course, I suggest you do a little research (maybe start at Snopes, http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp) and you might see why we previously disagreed with you.

As for the ban on L4D2, I'm really not that surprised. There have been a good handful of games that have been banned. One day, I'm sure, we'll see higher classifications instated, but for now, we'll just have to buy our 'illegal' games from the US, or Europe, and hope customs doesn't take a look.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Seriously, some of the guns you Americans own is...overkill.

You mean the ones that are illegal under the US Assault Weapon Ban?

Guess you didn't get the memo. The Assault Weapons Ban that you speak of has been non-existant for years. The ban was lifted in 2004.

For those of you that support gun control, here's a thought for you to chew on.

Legislation was introduced back in the early 80's in Kennesaw, Georgia, that required the "Head of Household" to own at least one firearm with ammunition in order to deter crime. The plan worked, and Kennesaw still to this day has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. As of 2007, Kennesaw remained murder free for 25 years. I'm sure they still are.

Sorry, but your "Bowling for Columbine" argument doesn't hold water. There's an old saying, "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." I believe it's the truth. Video games don't make people violent either.

Badfinger said:

Not wanting a new and improved version of a favorite game: IDIOTIC

Who are these morons?

I want names so I don't befriend any, accidentally.

Twister123 Twister123 said:

there's more to the fact americans kill each other at a rate much higher than anywhere else in the world than gun ownership , there's a mentality the media push , the paranoia someone wants to kill you . really what do you need a gun for ?

"Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

yea with guns that people have for killing other people

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

"Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

yea with guns that people have for killing other people

Twister,

first of all your statement is just plain preposterous, the US is not even in the top 20, #24 to be exact. BTW Eire made the list too! does it matter to you that you just launch a completely inaccurate, emotional, and false statement of fact? obviously not,

[link]

what do you think criminals do when another gun ban is passed? do you think they throw up their hands an say " gee whiz, i was going to get a gun and rob the store........but they passed a law telling me I cant have a gun, so i guess i cant". NO, instead they feel even more secure in the fact that now that law abiding citizens are prohibited from having firearms, they are less likely to meet resistance when conducting their nefarious acts. I challenge you to tell me how many in the US have been gunned down by legal gun owners in the US. the statistics will surprise you as you have obviously been willing to swallow the media's BS by the heaping spoonful. I have watched you on here take pot shots at America for a few months now, there are problems here, but if your so intent on bitching about America, at least find something that's true.

Cheers

Twister123 Twister123 said:

I follow your news , I sign up to media matters for america , human events a broad spectrum of newsletters , I have seen many documentaries , outfoxed about the media , perscription for disaster about the over druging of the nation , and many more , I have american friends I hold in high regard , but your nation is ruled by very extreme people bent on imperalism , I didn't even mention the fanatical christian element . Ireland is no utopia either .

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I have news for you twister,

setting aside that you didn't bother to respond to the fact that your assertions are false....

i have many many Irish friends , and i don't mean of heritage, i mean those who come here on work visa's for six months at a time from Cork to the ulster to work at a biomedical company, they are my friends, i break bread with them, and you know what??????? we spend lots of time talking about the conditions, the bureaucracy, the political climate,......and with the exception of the scale..... its no different there than it is here. get the **** off your high horse.

Twister123 Twister123 said:

there poles apart , look at the reaction to a possible change in health care , death panels your future running mate for president palin said ,

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

good god you are green. .....polls? please. you know twister, just because its change does not make it good. you remind me of my uncle whom i debated over gun control. he was all jazzed up that they were about to pass a new ban on guns. I showed him undeniable evidence that gun control does not work. to which he said "yes, but at least we are doing something" didn't matter that it would not work, all that was important was that he got to feel good...and could say that 'he cared'

the tiniest bit of investigation and introspection would lead you to ask the question ' who's going to pay for it?" have you ever heard the phrase ' if you think health care is expensive now?...wait till its free' how can you think that handing over another 1/6th of the economy to the government is going to result in a smooth and efficient health care system? the government has no accountability, and most of all....no incentive to perform efficiently. if you really want to know what is going on, look for the real facts about countries that have socialized medicine.

Twister123 Twister123 said:

one in every five requests to the biggest private health insurance firm in california are denied , americans spend more on health care than any other country and its broken , medicare is socialised health care it works fine .

Classic Rock said:

Wendig0,

You said that Kennesaw, Georgia has not suffered a single murder in 25 years due to the mandatory ownership of firearms? I thought that was wonderful, so I did a bit of research, you know, just to be on the safe side. Turns out that, unfortunately they have had a couple of crazies running about despite the guns. Granted, the number of murders, rapes and armed roberries are below the national average for America with there being 4 murders, 7 rapes and 39 armed robberies since '99, but that still counts for something I think.

If you want to check my figures, here's the website. Just scroll down till you see the table Titled "Crime in Kensaw by Year" about half way down.

Link:

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Twister123 said:

Wrong. Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965 - they've had 44 years

to get it right; they are both broke; and now our government dares to

mention them as models for all US health care.

Social Security was established in 1935 - they've had 74 years to get

it right; it is broke.

The U.S. Post Service was established in 1775 - they've had 234 years

to get it right; it is broke, and even though heavily subsidized, it

can't compete with private sector FedEx and UPS services.

So with a perfect 100% failure rate and a record that proves that each

and every "service" shoved down our throats by an over-reaching

government turns into disaster, how could any informed American trust

our government to run or even set policies for America's health care

system?

If you want to see what socialized healthcare in America is like, look at the Native Americans. They're a prime example of why gov't. healthcare will not work in this country. The gov't. has tried time and time again for many years to get it right, yet they haven't been able to. It is broken as well.

I'm all for insurance reform, and tort reform, IF the wingnuts in Congress can decide on something that will please both sides of the table. I'm not holding my breath though.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thanks Classic Rock, I'll check it out. My source was http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55288 and a couple others. Still, even if the figures you provided are the actual count, I would say that's still a pretty good argument against gun control. That's still way below the national average.

Twister123 Twister123 said:

wendigo

financial gain doesn't work with health care , people get refused for profit , public health care is the only way .

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

woah, the first page of this thread was on track but i have no idea what i'm reading now :lol:

You people really make me sick. You all act like Valve stole your grandmother's wallet and used the money to buy heroine to forcefully inject it with a rusty aids infected needle into her arm.

A) Valve has given free fan support for years and everyone turns on them without understanding their intent at all.

1)L4D 2 features an updated engine, updated graphics and different dynamics that would not be able to be integrated into DLC

2)They are still supporting the "fans" who are complaining by offering DLC for L4D. DLC i might add that is free for PC and only $7 on 360 simply because thats the lowest Microsoft would let them go.

B) Even if Valve hadnt already done enough to earn your faith and support that this is a company that truly loves its fans and customers, then look at them as any other company and realize one simple thing: We are CAPITALISTS!!! a company has a right to sell a product and cover their expenses in creating said product. You as the consumer are NOT REQUIRED to purchase it.

1)EA has been screwing gamers over for years and no ban has hurt their continued dominance

2)No one is forcing you to buy this game. if you want to miss out on what they felt could improve enough on the first game to create a more solid version of the engine and to add completely different situations and running standoffs then be my guest. I'll gladly support one of the best and most loyal companies in the gaming industry and play a great game while im at it.

Punkid said:

well lol ofcourse they are going to be displeased

It's funny how Americans think they are so much better than Australians and are saying crap about our government, but i ask you americans is it not your country that has one of the most dangerous crime-rate? Maybe your 'super fantastic so-called leaders' need to start banning violent games and then maybe the world would become a better place. Stop bagging Australia you violent pieces of s hit.

What a bummer for Australians, however the first poster wrote about Australia rules on weaponry. And guns aren't banned, just the ones that are dangerous = smgs.

Hey guest we have the 24th most violent country that's not even in top 20. I don't see how you can support censorship in you're country but I suppose it's people like you that decided for no ma18 rating. We wouldent want your twenty somthing year olde tramatized by violence. Have fun without the game!

Australians that are for the gun ban, bend over and take it in the keaster!!!

good da mate!!!

I would just like to throw something on the table for those questioning why the Australian government enforced a national firearms agreement was because of the Port Aurthur massacres and the public outcry it caused.

According to Australian bureau of statistics homicide rates have actually fallen since 1996 when the buy back occurred. Other examples include between 1997 - 1998 murder rates in Australia fell by 12% leaving It at a six year low, this being two years after the gun buy back. There was also a decrease of 12% in the firearm suicide rates between 1992 - 2002. If these figures lead you to believe that the gun buy back did not have at least a small positive effect on the safety of the Australian public and instead inversely had a significant negative effect on the safety of the Australian public then I simply cannot understand your logic.

The previous maybe wrongly interpreted so feel free to correct me if I have done so.

My Opinion (Not factual):

I for one do not buy into the paranoia created and believed by other poster's in this forum that criminal's are deterred by hand gun wielding public when they have the easy access to high powered assault rifles (excluding New York, New Jersey and Connecticut). With over 200 million firearms in the U.S.A it seems that more than anything the gun laws (or lack there of) are more than anything the ultimate defense in times of war against invasion, the safety of the individual merely a smoke screen.

P.S (to stay somewhat on topic) I agree that the classification board In Australia are horribly out of touch with the modern gaming demographic and seem to naively assume only kids play games. In reality nothing could be further from the truth, I feel such double standards between movies and video game classification grossly inappropriate for developed country/continent such as Australia to have. I also however feel that dead space and Fear 2 (haven't played the original, didn't hear great things about it) are far worse than left 4 dead (assuming l4d 2 is similar). In such I begin to wonder how the board determines the ratings on games, probably by the headless chicken method as seen on south park.

If you cant tell I am from Australia.

Wh1tebum

snowchick7669 snowchick7669 said:

Haha wow this thread went from computer games to politics,government corruption and 'my country is better then yours' war

Interesting..

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Interesting..

Interesting perhaps, but certainly nothing new or unique.

This statement perhaps should have been followed by "typical".

snowchick7669 snowchick7669 said:

It is typical Captain

And rather enjoyable to read.

Which = Interesting

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Being an inhabitant of "Killadelphia", a video game ban seems like much ado about nothing.

For us, "left for dead" is, (sadly), our way of life.

Damn i hope the ban gets lifted i really wanted this game