Top PC Games for this Holiday Season and Beyond

By on October 7, 2009, 3:53 AM
With the holiday rush approaching, it can be difficult to keep track of all the popular video games launching each week -- much less those on the horizon. Whether you're a casual gamer or just doing a little early Christmas shopping, we've collected a list of games we're most interested in this holiday season and the first quarter of next year.

Modern Warfare 2 - November 10 (PC, PS3, 360) - Modern Warfare 2 is Infinity Ward's sequel to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and makes the eighth major installment in the Call of Duty franchise. Built from the ground up on an improved engine, it promises a revamped first person shooter gaming experience.

Read on for the complete list.

carlosjuero said:

The only game on that list I am looking to get is Dragon Age Origins; maybe I am too jaded on the new games that are coming out, and DA:O seems to be the only one that will fit in with my 'old' gaming style :/

Staff
Steve Steve said:

There are heaps of great games in that list but none will be better than Modern Warfare 2, that game is going to provide a lot of fun at LANs

Xecutor Xecutor said:

Whaat? No Starcraft II?

That is THE most anticipated game for 2010. The only issue they have is bnet 2.0 right now, but other than that, the game should be entering Beta soon and a final release may be due in Q1 or Q2 2010

C'mon!! It's Starcraft 2 !

Am I the only looking forward to Diablo3?

BlindObject said:

I want my Forza 3. =)

How could you forget Uncharted 2: Among Thieves ... the blockbuster title of the season.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I haven't played a D&D type RPG for years so really looking forward to Dragon Age Origins. One game I would have added to the list is Fallout: New Vegas for release next year. Speaking of Fallout, I saw the TV trailer to Modern Warfare 2 and the battle scenes in D.C. looks EXACTLY like Fallout 3. Someone's idea has been ripped off... :p

Reloader2 said:

This is gonna cost me a lot of money.

Modern Warfare 2

Left 4 Dead 2 (Preordered)

Assassins Creed 2

Crysis 2

Too many great games!

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Whaat? No Starcraft II?

C'mon!! It's Starcraft 2 !

"May be" is not conclusive enough for a list of games that are slated for a holiday or first quarter release. Blizzard has only hinted it would be released in the first half of next year. If you know something we don't, please share.

Am I the only looking forward to Diablo3?

Again, there is no official release date for Diablo III. I've seen rumors that it's not expected until late 2010 or early 2011.

We left it off the list quite easily actually, because it's not even coming out on PC. It's exclusive to the PlayStation 3 -- which wouldn't be a proper fit for a list of PC games eh?

Please guys, if you're going to leave a comment like this, do everyone a favor and spend 30 seconds skimming the actual article before and after the list -- or in the case of the last Guest I quoted, at least look at the article's title.

Elohim83 Elohim83 said:

That list should included Fifa 10 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 (Released at the end of the current month), altho to be fair Fifa's already out.

Also outside the list is Championship Manager 10 and what I am looking forward to be released from the article's list are CoD MW2, Max Payne 3, L4D2 and the new Mass Effect.

Also am somewhat interested in Borderland and Dragon Age: Origin but am having reservations towards the latter 2

where is the combat flight sim, we are hundreds of thousands flightsimmer out here,

flightsim spook

Nirkon said:

Thanks!!

I've been looking for this exactly!

Aliens V Predator (3)

Nuff said

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

So many awesome games on the horizon not just these but many to come in 2010 =), very excited indeed.

Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect 2 and MW 2 are the ones that stand out the most to me which I'll probably get first. But I'm sure I'll pick up some others too once I get more free time/money.

Badfinger said:

This list is garbage since no Diablo 3, only other game I am awaiting is EQ2's next expansion due in Feb, long wait. 8(

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

This list is garbage since no Diablo 3

I'm so happy to hear that Diablo 3 is going to be released in several months, even though there hasn't even been a beta yet. Please let me know where you saw this information. I want to learn all about it!

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

As Matt mentioned, the reason neither Starcraft II or Diablo 3 were included is because their release is slated for later in 2010, and that's as unconfirmed as you can get from Blizzard. Those guys make top notch games but also take as long as necessary to release them to the wide public.

It's possible we will follow up with a similar list in January or February putting together all of the anticipated games for all of 2010, which is a completely different story.

@Elohim83, I personally would have included Pro Evolution in the list, but didn't for one big reason: I prefer to play soccer games on a console.

Badfinger said:

Heading said ...and Beyond.... That is not late 2010 imho.

I don't take lists too seriously, joking...

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Heading said ...and Beyond.... That is not late 2010 imho.

I don't take lists too seriously, joking...

Here is the end of the article's second sentence:

"we've collected a list of games we're most interested in this holiday season and the first quarter of next year."

Badfinger said:

I skim, sorry, this internet is a bit too big. 8)

Why the nitpicking, anyhow?

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

I skim, sorry, this internet is a bit too big. 8)

There were roughly seven lines of text apart from the list. Only a few sentences. A basic introduction and a somewhat generic closing. Hardly a time sink.

Why the nitpicking, anyhow?

I could ask you the same question.

How about Napoleon: Total War? It might come out February 2010 and must be one of the most anticipated PC games coming out next year. If not, THE most anticipated game of 2010.

God what a terrible list of games. I am not looking forward to any of those - FPS/RPG/RTS games - is this all PC gaming has come to?

What about Elite 4, Mechwarrior and Syndicate? - they are the only games worth buying on the horizon for me. There is a lot of dross around these days in PC games releases. Thank god some developers are releasing decent games to compare with all the crappy FPS games that keep coming out. Does anyone play and actually enjoy all these FPS games? Last FPS game I got was Call Of Duty (I dont class ARMA2 as a FPS).

nyred said:

I agree completely with the comment about Napoleon: Total War. Football Manager 2010 just came out, but it is probably not that popular here in the US.

SUSHRUKH said:

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I'd have to chime in with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat and Metro 2033....just to balance out that holiday cheer. Does the Lost Alpha mod for SoC count too?

PNagy said:

Diablo 3 should be on the list. Others are also OK, but...

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been voted a lot since we posted this article. As for Diablo 3, the problem is the game's release is still a mile away for the purpose of this article.