Game sales to rebound with PS3 leading the pack?

By on October 9, 2009, 10:25 AM
According to Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter, the video game industry is on the brink of a rebound -- and Sony's PlayStation 3 will lead the pack. "After six consecutive months of double-digit declines, we expect a return to double-digit sales growth (on video game software)," said Pachter, noting that sales are expected to be up 21% to $750 million, compared to $618 million last year.

Pachter estimates that September's NPD figures will show about 390,000 Wii units shipped (down 45% from last year), 350,000 Xbox 360s (up 1%), and 410,000 PS3s (up 76% on year). He predicts that Sony's console will continue to outsell Microsoft's for the remainder of this year, and that another price cut from Redmond may be due. That said, he added that there's a better chance the company will introduce a "more feature-packed Xbox 360 in early 2010 (likely with a 250GB hard drive) at the same price point."

NPD will release its game sales data next Thursday, but in the meantime, forecasted video game sales show Halo 3: ODST with 1,800,000 units shipped, and the nearest competition is Wii Sports Resort at 500,000. The Beatles: Rock Band on the Wii and Xbox 360 are expected to move 350,000 and 325,000 units respectively, taking third and fourth place.

The ps3 only has elevated sales because people (like myself) were waiting for the ps3 to go down in price. No it doesn't mean I'm not loyal, it just means I know when to not pay 599 dollars for a console.

I bought mine at $499. I had to wait for my tax refund a couple years ago to do it, but it's worth each and every penny. Blu Ray is flat out ridiculously amazing and the exclusives are phenomenal and getting better with each new release.

I even liked Killzone 2, and I'm a die hard Third Person Shooter fanboy.

maddmatt02 said:

I didnt get a 599 console, but did get a 499 80 gig, and Im glad I got it when I did. I have all my usb ports, my card readers, and BC.

games sales should start to go up, Ive definitely been buying more games now that theres tons of games between 19.99-29.99 to pick up.

Zeromus said:

yay, can finally play...hm. Well since my PC is so full of crap sometimes, sometimes I need a machine that can play full HD movies without the worry of performance biting applications. Thanks sony, nows I can watch meh awesome hi-def shows.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

More interested in seeing how well games sell over the next 6 months with so many good titles coming and a few already out .

gobbybobby said:

Well I plan to buy L4D2, boaderlands. and maybe CODMW2 <THO ITS A RIP OFF> before the year is out.

shossofe shossofe said:

eh, I could care less if their sales are up. As long as the system stays 300 forever...well, i guess I found an alternative from buying a Zune to play 720p movies on my television.

but with 1080p added to the mix as well XD