Microsoft stores reselling PCs without crapware

By on October 28, 2009, 3:00 PM
Microsoft is reportedly selling PCs without the typical crapware found on proprietary Windows-based computers. Although the company resells systems from its hardware partners including Acer, Asus, Dell, Fujitsu, Gateway, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba, the standard third-party and in-house crapware is excluded. The machines aren't entirely clean though, as Microsoft bundles some software of its own.

Installed on "Microsoft Signature PCs" are the following applications: Microsoft Security Essentials, Bing 3D Maps, Zune 4.0, Playready PC Runtime (for WMC), Adobe Flash Player for IE, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Windows Live Sync, and Windows Live Essentials (which includes Windows Live versions of Messenger, Mail, Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, Writer, Family Safety, Toolbar, as well as the Office Live Add-In and Silverlight).

Granted, that's quite the list of software, but it's still an improvement over most systems straight from HP and others. Users would probably install a lot of the programs in one shape or another anyway, and Microsoft's packaged software could even prove helpful for the less experienced folks out there.

treeski treeski said:

Are these the computers being sold on the Microsoft online store, or somewhere else?

A link would be helpful

These are the computers sold in their new 'brick and mortar' stores in Scottsdale, AZ and Mission Viejo, CA. I do not know if online store carries the same systems

PUTALE said:

it's good news because all of these crap-wares sure sucks. At least some manufacturers let you uninstall them but some won't.

ebolamonkey3 said:

That list doesn't look too bad at all, if those are the only things on the computer.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That is great news and I hope other manufacturers follow MS's lead. Whenever I have friends that purchase new laptops or pre-built PC's it takes me an hour or more to get rid of all the crapware and than another hour to tweak settings for performance. Also think it's lousy marketing to innundate less than tech savvy people with a slew of pop-ups demanding they buy this, that or the other app or their PC won't work properly.

beezze said:

crapwhores! it should be forbidden! i álways do a fresh install as soon as i buy any new packaged pc. I recently bought got a good deal from MSI. An Awsome laptop WITHOUT OS. I was so happy!

treeski treeski said:

If it is just in the stores, I hope MS starts opening more stores in more places and sooner!

freedomthinker said:

Well at least Microsoft is doing something useful, crapware sucks its really annoying when you get a new computer there is a bunch of crap you seriously don't need and have to spend 2-3 hours trying to get it out . Thumbs up for Microsoft !

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I think the apps Microsoft installed make sense.

Timonius Timonius said:

I would rather build my own system anyway. ZERO crapware! The only 'branding' you'll see on my system is 'inside' it. But kudos to M$ for at least reducing crapware on its machines.

treeski treeski said:

I wonder if the lack of crapware will affect the computer prices though. The PC retailers would make more money off of installing the crapware for the other companies, so I figured they would be able to charge less for the PCs themselves.

kafaak said:

Yeah! I really hate it when my new laptop/PC comes with these crapwares. I have to uninstall them manully everytime I reinstall Windows.

lynxon said:

I don't think they should have all that junk in there to begin with, sure, this is a start down the right path but they've still got some stuff to remove. Although this doesn't really affect me seeing as how I just fresh install every time I get a new computer, but still!

kimsland, Ex-TechSpotter, said:

Trial ware is removed from the PC

Hooray Nothing worse than getting a brand new computer and then to spend an hour removing all the junk

Yes they mention: PC Decrapifier, but in most cases Users don't know why their Office doesn't work anymore etc etc etc

And I'm a little thankful for MSE instead of trial Norton (:D) or any other horrid program

Whiffen Whiffen said:

Glad that they are starting to catch on too what more customers are wanting from a product. Personally I love things as bare as they can be so this is only good news for me.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's an interesting way to attract customers. Nice thought by the marketing team.

guyver1 said:

Very good move by MS, OEM builders take note!

Wont affect me as I've never bought an off the shelf PC, I always build my own.

Geeks FTW!!

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'm all for less crapware being installed on off the rack PC's but the amount of software that still comes included in these PC's is just out of hand:

Look at that list of stuff that comes with the "no crapware" PC. Personally, I format and re-install any PC that I or anyone I know gets from Dell or Best Buy before doing anything.

limpangel limpangel said:

OEMs just don't get it.

Let's say you are not such a tech savy and you buy a notebook with pretty decent specs (maybe even high-end). Now, every time you boot, Vista needs between 5-10 minutes to get you to the desktop and become usable, all because of the crapware that bloat Windows.

In those moments you wish you listened to your friend and bought a Mac.

Seems Microsoft got that and OEMs should follow if they want to stay competitive with Apple.

Rig said:

Finally!

I got a Compaq PC once and the crapware was unbelievable. It seemed so integrated it was like it was part of the operating system.

Thankfully MS have realised that crapware really isn't the way forward.

fref said:

The last laptop I bought was so full of crapware that it severely affected the computer's performance. After getting rid of all the add-on toolbars, useless utilities and that dreaded Norton Antivirus, it felt like I had just upgraded the laptop's CPU and doubled the RAM. It was so much more responsive! Too bad all manufacturers do this though. Hopefully, Microsoft will inspire some of them.

SoulSeeker said:

fref said:

Yes, those pre-installed programs make a big dent in the performance of a new PC\Laptop. Amazingly, the "normal" user never officially complains about them.

But I don't think it will "inspire" anyone... Microsoft still puts on their crapware and just leaves out the third-party stuff... so HP might be inspired to only put on HP-Related crapware etc., but thats it. A pre-configured PC will still be ready for a fresh install as soon as you buy it.

waterytowers said:

Its a shame they had to leave Windows installed, they left one bit of bloated crapware behind I think it is great that Microsoft is removing this stuff but I can't see OEMs going without crapware since I believe they get paid to install it. As for Mac, why use a Mac? Why pay more money for a lower spec machine? I have friends that have the iPhone and Mac disease, the iPhone is great as a portable photo viewer.

If you want to get away from bloatware, try ubuntu. The learning curve is getting shallower every release.

I use Windows, Unix and Linux at work and Windows just takes too long to get things done. I use my Windows machine for my work email and that is all. I could use my linux machine to connect to exchange but I have to use the Windows machine for something. There are not many tasks on linux that cannot be done by a quick google search. It takes me a couple of hours to get my laptop completely reinstalled and configured with ubuntu. Windows takes at least a day, once you have installed office tools, development tools, remove added bloatware etc...

abautu said:

@waterytowers: I like Linux and I'm an ubuntu user for long time. I support it, yet i have to admit that Windows (excepting Vista) it's much more snappier and resource friendly than Ubuntu. Especially on machines with 512MB or less. This is not true only about the OS itself, but also about software running on it (just compare Excel and OpenCalc).

WOW! Without crapware. That is wonderful, so no Microsoft products installed. Great!

ken777 said:

bloatware helps to subsidize the cost of your system, so i don't think it's really going away. mfgs just need to make it easy to opt-out and uninstall the bloatware when you setup the system for the first time.

buttus said:

I wonder what will happen when Microsoft opens their own retail store. Would any stock PC's still ship with the bloatware? At least this shows that Microsoft is listening to the public and the general distaste of crapware.

NightAngel79 said:

@guest: The crapware they are referring to is the stuff put on by HP, dell, etc. The microsoft products listed is what WILL be on them. I myself have no problems disabling the startup entries of the HP, Dell, etc software. SOME of them are useful at times. Programs like Ccleaner(free) and The Ultimate Troubleshooter(trial edition available) are great programs for identifying useless startup items and services that bog your system down.

treeski treeski said:

I'm still curious as to how the prices of the crapware free PCs will be compared to any of the major computer retailers.

aceofspaids222 said:

Windows PCs, now with reduced crapware!

Good idea on their part. The stuff that is on there is not so bad. Maybe you won't have to wipe the PC clean when you buy it for once.

Colonel Lance said:

Again this, to me, is such a surprising move by Microsoft. I would never have guessed that they would not put crap ware on premade computers.

Crap ware seems to have become pretty much standard for any computer that wasn't custom built, I am very happy that Microsoft has decided to deviate from this computer norm (and hope that they don't decide to go back on this decision).

Way to go Microsoft.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

That's great to hear, but lets hope they start doing this for all new computers as well. I recenltly set-up an HP computer for my girlfriend and it had tons of crapware, so much i couldnt even uninstall it all, lots of games and ebay etc

paynetrain007 said:

!!! Amen that is great. All of that software is used by a lot of people and doesn't slow your computer down 10fold. the best part is a fully functional antivirus program installed. not this trial crap.

I think it's a great move. Most of the listed software is stuff 90% of users would install(flash player, pdf reader, security essentials, etc) although they could of went without Windows live I can still see 90% of users finding it useful.

On the other hand the usual crapware that comes on PC's I don't think I've ever found any of it useful.

JeddyB said:

limpangel, that's an interesting thing to say considering Macs come with probably 5 times as much software installed on the puter and most of it is Mac software (oh but of course it's okay because its Apple).

swilllx2p said:

Personally, I'd only ever buy a computer if it was a laptop. Any desktop I would get would be a home build. I do however plan on getting a laptop soon, and more then likely I will just do a fresh install of windows 7 as soon as I get it. I'd rather be 100% sure the crapware is gone.

trinamick said:

I spend so much time cleaning crapware off our new office computers. The first thing to go around here is Norton. It would be great to eliminate it all before it comes to us. But what will I do with all that free time?

RickD said:

Bundled Windows apps really don't matter when you install Linux ;-)

lesajm said:

I am so sick of the crap software that comes on computers. It's pathetic what we're given for the prices they charge. I have to go online and find free programs to use instead of the junk on my computer.

JieMan JieMan said:

I really like the direction of what Microsoft is doing with the live essentials . I find the programs to be user friendly and reliable.

gruesomeA said:

They didn't get rid of all the crapware, but at least they are finally agreeing that there is way too much of it on new computers.

elroacho72 said:

I think trading HP crapware for Microsoft's useful programs is a great trade off. HP and all the above listed companies put there "try it for 60 days programs" on an all that you end up doing is trying to remove them all, from day one with me. I have ever bought a computer with anything but half deals on them. It would be nice to just have stuff on your new computer; Be something that is useful for more than 60 days.

SUSHRUKH said:

bigbrat41 said:

While not a MS fan, I personally believe that GOD has a special place in Hell reserved for Bill Gates for his retarded Windows ME, this step is long overdue and does deserve props.

pmshah said:

I have only one comment to offer. Regardless of who the manufacturer is there must be some provision provided with each PC to set it to a state where there is ABSOLUTELY NO trial ware installed on the machine.

I have had situations where some crap antivirus from a major company is installed. One ends up subscribing to it as it is almost impossible to remove. The vendor does not provide any CD for restoring to a clean state although the client HAS paid for or at an exhorbitant price like $70/= .

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If that's M$'s idea of no crapware, I wonder how much crapware they expect the average user to have? I formatted my Sony laptop using recovery discs the other day... it took about 40 mins to install everything and another hour to remove the crapware. This kind of stuff can make people turn to piracy even if they have a legit copy

Adhocdegra said:

I don't know about that. The Microsoft Live (cloud computing) stuff is crapware to me and even slows my computer & especially my internet browser down. I haven't figured out how to get rid of the Bing crap yet -- It's one thing to choose to goto a search engine, it's another for it takeover, install itself, (aka hijack - guess it's not if you accept the MS Live installation) and Bing Up the browser and slow it down. The Bing is definitely a browser tracker for supposedly assisting in searches (hence the slow down).

Other than the Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, and Microsoft Security Essentials in that list, the rest are crap-ware to me.

As for the Microsoft Live Stuff, I'd have to refer back to the 'Danger (c)' cloud computing server. Microsoft's, AT&T's, and T-Mobile's combined Danger (cloud computing system) may crashed once again wiping out all of your portable data & what you thought was a backup of your crucial or critical data (gone forever - too bad). Effected millions of mobile users (phone, laptop, pda, etcetera). Oh wait, now it's being extended to Desktop users (home & office) for all of their data wipeout needs, I mean storage. Hrmmm.

Dell, HP, Compaq, or basicly anything that does not have real customer service is also crap-ware to me. Over 90% of HP's revenue earnings is from charging for customer service. $45-$120 per hour just to talk to someone about problems with their product is rediculous.

I'd have to stick with SoulSeeker, to get rid of crap-ware. Clean OS Install on a new computer, or build your own computer from scratch.

Renaming Crapware to Essential Crapware, or Crapware 7.0 with streamlined crap to make the crap appear to go faster, doesn't sell to me. Removing all of the Crapware from Vista (windows version 6.0) would give you Windows 7 (windows version 6.1). I guess the 0.1 means: some crap removed from Vista. The XP mode crap (temporary module/add-in) is for getting as many users to convert to Windows 7. I'm not going to upgrade to Vista 7 (aka Windows 7).