Xbox 360 update adds WPA2 support to Wi-Fi adapter

By on October 28, 2009, 12:30 PM
Microsoft has quietly released a new system update for its Xbox 360 console today. While it won't include any of the new social features that the company has been touting for months, this update will finally allow the current Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter (and presumably the upcoming 802.11n version) to support the WPA2 wireless security protocol -- a long overdue addition that many have been clamoring for.

Users should be receiving the update sometime this morning when they sign into Xbox Live. Microsoft's Larry 'Major Nelson' Hyrb emphasized that the update does not include the upcoming Facebook, Twitter and Last.fm integration nor it brings the Zune Marketplace 1080p "instant-on" streaming video functionality. That system update should go live next month.

fref said:

I had no idea they were working on WPA2 support, but I'm glad they're making it available. All my other devices support WPA2, so I'll be able to make the switch to WPA2 after this update.

Maybe the weird guy with the laptop in the car parked in front of my house will go away after that...

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

YES! just went onto xbox live and sure enough, there was an update! i only got an xbox a few months back and I had been running WPA2 for a while, Even my Nokia N85 has WPA2 support! so it was a bit of a let down when i first plugged it all in (yes i did buy the wireless adaptor) to find i had to degrade my entire network just to use it. But once again I can rest asleep in the knowledge that my wireless is safe(r).

Cueto_99 said:

Can't wait for the new 802.11n adapter, although it will be expensive, as most of the xbox accesories are, I think with it I'll be able to send 1080p videos from my laptop to my 42" Plasma through the xbox

thewoosterisroot thewoosterisroot said:

While I suppose this would be helpful, it seems that it might be more helpful to work on dropping the price for said adapter a little bit. I don't personally own a 360, but my friends all seem to get a little twitch when they think about spending $100 just to add wi-fi capability.

Jibberish18 said:

Sweet! I may be buying my brother a G Adapter at the end of this year when the AT&T MicroCell comes out. I'm glad to see that they finally enabled WPA2 as my network is now entirely WPA2. I just hope the 7 dBi High Gain antennas I just installed will reach well up to his room.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

You're right Nathan, the adapters (actually most addons) are ridiculously overpriced since anything third-party related Microsoft bans (HDD). But personally I just use ethernet, cheaper and better . Nice to see them thou caring about security especially regarding WiFi as so many simply disregard it.

tonylukac said:

Sorry, originally posted in the wrong place. I think the ps3 is the better bet. It ALLOWS blu-ray dvd playing, of course plays games, and now offers netflix streaming. With the pricing of the slim, how can you go wrong?

giorgiodechir said:

or, i culd get 2 wireless routers with ddr-wrt. increase the power and i got 4-5 bars anywhere in my house. plus i got 4 ports now instead of just one. so i can plug in my home theater pc with my xbox too. 2 for 1 lol

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

WPA2 is something I think should have been implemented from the start. I was sorely dissapointed when I was trying to bring my home network to what I consider to be standard security. I'll be switching everything over soon now. It's better than the DS though, which is WEP or nothing, and I find that just sad.

Deso said:

thats weird, why does the xbox needed secure wireless?

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Deso said:

thats weird, why does the xbox needed secure wireless?

Because your xbox might not be the only device on your network?

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Deso said:

thats weird, why does the xbox needed secure wireless?

Also, you might not want other people using your wireless for internet access.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Whoah, the 360 only just gow WPA2 support, this is somehting it should have always had IMO.

But yeah as some other people have commented, MS should lower the price of the WiFi adapter, it's $99 here in Oz if I recall properly.

If it was cheaper I'm sure my brother would get one, then he wouldn't have to move his 360 from his room into the lounge to update it via ethernet.

kafaak said:

WiFi connection is not very popular in my neighborhood. It seems that my house is the only WiFi hotspot in 1 sqr km.

Using Wi-Fi to play games...

Hmm hope you all get shot.

Whiffen Whiffen said:

Using Wi-Fi to play games...

Hmm hope you all get shot.

Care to explain why that would be? I've been using a wireless network to play games for years and it works great.

I had no idea the Xbox didn't support WPA2, but then again I don't own an Xbox ehe.

half-duplex & full-duplex

Rig said:

Bit of a security FAIL for Microsoft to take THAT long to implement wireless security that should have been supported from the start. Better late than never I guess.

keep your current encription, just buy a cable and connect it, its a darn site cheaper, and more reliable, and you can still keep the rest of your system secure. good ole microsoft , do you really expect them to drop the price.....

My son got the message to upgrade, tried doing it and now can't get on to the live system at all? We have no clue what to do??? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Guys...stop complaining about the price already. I agree it's ridiculous! Intead of shelling out the $100 just for Xbox wi-fi, I got a Wireless N Access Point (specifically TEW-638APB) for half the price. Super-major other bonus is that I can also plug it into my Blu-Ray player or anything else in my entertainment center that could want some Wi-fi.

You can either just whine all day, get pwned by MS for even more money, or you can find a real solution to your problems. Happy gaming!

Just sat down to watch a movie through the xbox and the update window came up. Update and now RROD!! I cant freaking believe this.

Exact thing happened to me! Required update, it goes to restart and I am greated by 3 red rings of death! I call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and they claim they have never heard of this happening before (can you believe that?). They also claim that the updates are software and have nothing to do with the RROD because that indicates a hardware failure.

Well if you flash a chip on the motherboard with your software, you can easkily have a piece of hardware that becomes a vegtable. Which is likely what happened to us and many others.

So, I'm out of warranty, gee it'll cost $100 to fix their little "software bomb" or I can go out and buy a new machine. Either way Microsoft wins and the comnsumer loses.

I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General at the Dept. of Consumer Protection in Washington state. We'll see what happens...

Imagine being able to kill off hardware at will? The other issue is how do you update all these machines with different chips in them? I know I killed off a DVD drive once by updating the firmware. Very touchy stuff.

Exact thing happened to me! Required update, it goes to restart and I am greeted by 3 red rings of death! I call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and they claim they have never heard of this happening before (can you believe that?). They also claim that the updates are software and have nothing to do with the RROD because that indicates a hardware failure.

Well if you flash a chip on the motherboard with your software, you can easily have a piece of hardware that becomes a vegetable. Which is likely what happened to us and many others.

So, I'm out of warranty, gee it'll cost $100 to fix their little "software bomb" or I can go out and buy a new machine. Either way Microsoft wins and the consumer loses.

(Man, wish I had spell checked that first... my typing is atrocious.)

JieMan JieMan said:

I'm glad the new adapter has support but I feel they should really start adding wifi built into the console now . One of the biggest things I despise about Microsoft is the way they milk the customer for everything. I own an Xbox 360 but if I were buying a new console today I would choose a PS3 for sure , as its built in wifi , bluetooth , and blueray ..

Microsoft makes you use proprietary accessories that they charge alot for .. why is the wireless N adapter for the Xbox 99 dollars when I just bought a wireless N usb adapter for my PC for 15 bux . The same can be said about there wireless headset , which is a letdown at working consistently. but above all else why they make you pay for Xbox-live gold when all they do is advertising and try and sell you stuff to make them more money, I would expect that on the free silver membership. Funny how the price of games went up with the new consoles ( claiming is was licensing fees ,, but to who ? Microsoft) and still we pay for Xbox-live

A lot of people with modded boxes were caught after that update there is something more than the wireless security in that update. Google or youtube xbox 360 new ban wave

canijo said:

Xbox 360 update adds WPA2 support to Wi-Fi

Xbox 360 update adds WPA2 support to Wi-Fi

Is it mean I can use an standard "wi fi usb adaptor" to to comunicate with my router or get on line?