Steam weekend sale: Mass Effect for $10

By on November 5, 2009, 7:34 PM
Steam is hosting yet another fantastic weekend sale with a 50%-off, $10 copy of Mass Effect. Originally released for PC in May 2008, Mass Effect is an action role-playing game developed by BioWare (Demiurge Studios handled the PC port).

The game takes place in the year 2183, and puts the player in the shoes of Commander Shepard, an elite human solider who has set out to explore the Galaxy. The title received wide critical acclaim, with an average GameRankings score of 89.78% on PC 90.71% on the Xbox 360. A sequel (Mass Effect 2) is slated for debut on January 26, 2010.

Steam's listed system requirements include Microsoft Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista, a 2.4GHz Intel Pentium 4 or 2GHz AMD processor (or faster), at least 1GB of RAM on XP or 2GB on Vista, an ATI X1300 XT/Nvidia GeForce 6800 or better, and 12GB of free storage space.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

An amazing game, if you like FPS and the advancing character part sort of RPG, you should really take on this offer.

Beggars said:

I just purchased myself a copy after reading this. For $10, how can you refuse to buy this great game I've had the privilege of playing a few times.

buttus said:

Fantastic deal and I will get the game this weekend on my Steam account.

Shalimar said:

$10 for what is effectively antique now.

How about L4D2 on sale instead Valve.. since you failed miserably to support L4D like you said you were going to.

Amen to that.

ken777 said:

Great game. If you liked Knights of the Old Republic, you'll like this.

Colonel Lance said:

I've been wondering if I should get this, is it worth it?

JieMan JieMan said:

I hear this game is good, I've been debating getting this as I just went wild on gogamer.com and my wallet took a punch.

+1 on L4D Shalimar, I was thinking after they released the tools it would be cool with custom levels, but the community has shown there true colors and are more interested in using them to spawn ten thousand zombies or five hundred witches,

I really thing they have ruined the game. You can't just join any quick play match and expect to have a regular campaign.

LxTrix said:

This is indeed a very nice deal but i'd rather have it on the 360.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

This is a terrific game at a terrific price - highly recommended.

shalimar - go whine about your L4D petty gripes on the Steam boards. This Mass Effect offer has nothing to do with L4D.

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

I've had the pleasure of beating this game already. It's fantastic. Questing is actually fun, and so is the hunt for armor and weapons. Plus the graphics are pretty sweet.

The only gripe I had though was that they were sort of cheap about the graphics. They used textures that looked great from a little distance away but as soon as you looked closer it looked absolutely terrible. A great way to save on graphics processing power admittedly. But I'd have preferred if it looked great no matter how it was looked at. They also could have done better with some of the textures for the aliens. But regardless, the game was excellent and I eagerly look forward to the sequel.

zaidpirwani said:

Colonel Lance said:

I've been wondering if I should get this, is it worth it?

It is totally worth it, I just bought it and it's great and for this price, there is nothing to lose....

Puiu Puiu said:

I going to buy this game tomorrow. I hope i will enjoy it. I really like the sales that Steam puts every so often.

freedomthinker said:

Man i love it when steam does these kind of sales . Just way more fun to buy !

limpangel limpangel said:

@shalimar: If a one year old first person shooter is considered "effectively antique", no one can say the same thing about RPGs. I still play and enjoy Diablo2 (2000), Neverwinter Nights (2002), Fallout 1&2 (1997&1998) and I think any RPG fan on these boards played and maybe are still playing theese "ancient" games.

10$ for Mass Effect is a really great deal and I'm definitely buying it this weekend.

lupinnktp said:

it's a great deal for a good game. and it's not antique, imho! l4d2 isn't for everyone. to each his own. and i guess there's a good many who will benefit from this promotion

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I've never actually played Mass Effect but I've been wanting to get it for a long time. This is a great price but it's also an older title so the price is expected. However, I could just as easily buy the game used and actually be able to sell it later on if I needed to. That's the only issue I have with Steam games. I guess if you create a new account each time you can always sell it that way but I think that's against the ToS.

wcbert said:

Good price for a great game that has an interesting story line. It is like being in a scfi book instead of reading one.

swilllx2p said:

Everyones positive comments on the game makes me interested in getting it at this low price. One question though..hows the multiplayer on it/does it have a multiplayer feature?

retro2112 said:

Nice. Something to keep me occupied untill Tuesday.

I haven't played it yet (I know, shame on me)

Exactly the right price to empty my paypal account too...

ellulbrian ellulbrian said:

Hm, I truly dislike steam but if they tend to do these discounts I might change my idea

Who knows...

Eddie_42 Eddie_42 said:

ellulbrian said:

Who knows...

why do you dislike steam? Is digital distribution against your religion or moral code?

I happen to think its quite convenient and use it often. I think I may be spending $10 this weekend.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ellulbrian said:

Who knows...

Where have you been? Steam has a discount game every weekend, and often mid-week. They are usually indy games or yesteryear's best sellers. I got quite a few games in these sales. IMO it's worth checking out Steam regularly for these.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

If I were in any way interested in RPGs I would definitely buy this. It doesn't beat Direct2Drive's weekly blowout sale they did for 5 weeks straight where every game was $5. I got Bioshock, WIC gold, Supreme Commander gold, and COH gold. One of the best $20 I've ever spent!

I'd love to buy it for $10 but I prefer having a physical copy of my games. Also don't like how I need to be on the internet to play single player games. Valve can't live without it's user statistics.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You can use Steam in offline mode to play games without an internet connection. That won't help with the box. Personally, I tend to throw away my boxes, and I hate having to put a game's DVD in the drive to play. Steam also has the benefit that moving to a new PC (or reinstalling the OS) doesn't require reinstalling all the games.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Here's an incomplete list of deals Steam had lately:

Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures series for $20

40% off Call of Duty 4

50% off The Witcher

75% off S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

25% off Killing Floor

Assassin's Creed - Director's Cut Edition for $5

25% off Red Faction

75% off Saints Row 2 and 50% off all Dawn of War games

50% off Company of Heroes

50% off Hitman games

That's not even all of last month. From some googling, it also seems that there was a deal on L4D.

Nirkon said:

I'm still crying that I missed the orange box deal XD

thanks for the heads up... but I already finished ME quite a while back

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yep, there was a sale on L4D, I ended up getting it and having a good time zombie popping... I think it was like $15. And I have to say, I don't see the comments about Steam failing to support the L4D community warranted, the community is separate, Steam provides connections to servers, what more do they want? They can't magically make modders and enthusiasts create good content, and I got all the DLCs free when I logged in...

I find it funny how people love to gripe and moan about things. This is a story about Mass Effect being on sale on Steam (which I will be purchasing in about 5 minutes). If you don't like Steam, or don't want Mass Effect, you don't even need to be reading, let alone posting - just shut your mouth and move along. You don't have to hop up and use this as a soapbox to spout your views on how bad Steam is. We get enough of that in other areas where it's actually the topic.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is a great business model which other games publishers should aim to follow. Their overheads on selling these games are practically zero anyway and it would probably reduce piracy as well.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Steam has been giving tons of amazing deals on games every week, its one of those pros to using a PC over a console.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Great deal for what is meant to be a great game, they got my $11.14 (AUD after conversion :p).

Good thing this sale wasn't limited to North America like the Assassins Creed one was, that really made me sad that did.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

For some of us on Windows 7, a few things need to be done to get this to work correctly. I don't know if this affects just the 64-bit version (which is what I run on), but I had trouble getting this to run after purchasing it via Steam.

If you attempt to run the game and nothing ever shows up (even though the hard drive thrashes), the game is definitely crashing. I've looked in the application log and found that the executable is causing a crash to occur. Whether or not you apply the 1.02 patch or not, the game will not run out of the box from Steam unless you do a few things.

First, from the Games tab, right click on Mass Effect and tell it to create icons on your desktop.

Next, right click on the Mass Effect icon and select properties. Go to the compatibility tab and tell it to run in the Vista SP1 or SP2 mode.

After that, double click on it and you should see the Mass Effect splash screen come up. Eventually, the screen will go black and depending on possibly your set up, it might sit at a black screen for a few minutes, but it will launch. At least, that's what happens for me.

I have the game running at 1280x1024 with all details on and it runs fairly smooth, even during the combat sequences. I just can't stand how it takes about 2 minutes for the game to launch.

I'm only 15 minutes into the game but I'm already enthralled by the story and can't wait to see what happens. Oh, and it looks gorgeous.

My machine isn't the best:

AMD X64 4200+

4 gigs of PC3200 RAM

ATI HD3870 Video Card

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

SATA II hard drives

Yet, it still runs great once it's launched.