TechSpot Blog: Disable Windows automatic check for solutions after a program crashes

By on November 22, 2009, 8:33 PM
Introduced in Windows Vista, the infamous “Windows is checking for a solution…” message that appears right after a program crashes is downright annoying.

I’m running Windows 7 now and this behavior has not changed. Admittedly, while running the Windows 7 betas this was rather useful as Microsoft kept up to date information on programs that suffered from compatibility problems and hinted at potential fixes (kudos for that). But now it just gets in the way after Firefox or other well-known program crashes, I just click on Cancel immediately after getting prompted.

Back in the Vista days I had disabled this message and now I’m getting it again after a fresh reinstall of 7, so I thought this time I would document how to turn it off. It’s actually very easy.

Continue reading on the TechSpot Blog.

Puiu Puiu said:

I never got a solution from this. ^_^

I'm just going to turn it off when i come back home. (posting while dressing)

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thanks for the tip.

JudaZ said:

Funny, 9 out of 10 times microsoft gives me a solution. ... .not with firefox...but no wonder ..and that keeps crashing always anyways. ... seems the best solution would be to remove firefox...that is remove the cause...not the symptoms like windows problem solving.

JudaZ said:

..in the case with Internet explorer stopped working .. or for that mather firefox crashes .. its usually a plugin that is the culprit. A lot of times ive found actually Adobe Flash is to blame.

...but otherwise some plugin.

still say, remove the problem...not the symptom .. or the feature that lets you knowe about the problem.....

.if you see a problem, isnt it better to try and solve it, than like this article does...tell people how to close their eyes to stop seeing the mess.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I have never had this feature actually come back with a solution.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

JudaZ said:

...but otherwise some plugin.

I think so JudaZ, but the 'solution' window will pop up for other things than just browser crashes, in my case, it has never provided a useful fix for anything. i shut it off because I don't need it to tell me that something crashed....and then provide zero useful information.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Me neither, I mean... it does give me the "you should get the up-to-date program" which I have, so I don't really get the usefulness.

The most funny thing of it all, is when I installed microsoft sql 2005 server, told me to update which I did, and later on the screen would pop again and again.

BLUEBIRDJOHN said:

I came across a programme by accident which scanned my computer and showed up one of my firefox add ons (dictionary/spell checker) as a possible risk of crashes. After removing it i've yet to have another crash with firefox. Don't want to remove firefox, much prefer it.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I have heard that as well Blue, not only with FF but with Opera's version as well, dont know the answer but hopefully someone at TS can get you the answer to that.

Puiu Puiu said:

@blue @red - Can you tell me the name of the program?

BLUEBIRDJOHN said:

I'll try and find it later. It was on my desktop which i'm having terrible problems with at the moment. Doing a reinstall at the moment hope i've saved the programmes correctly!!!

BLUEBIRDJOHN said:

Have just found it on one of my backup disks. It's called 'Advanced Task Manager' version 5 is a free trial version. Available on C Net Downloads.

[link]

lupinnktp said:

holyshit, this is good no more nag by that. and hey, why don't Microsoft remove it? are they really still working to resolve those things, honestly?