Gigabyte adds USB 3.0, 6Gbps SATA to AMD boards

By on November 24, 2009, 10:23 AM
Complementing its recently announced P55A branded series featuring third generation SATA and USB connectivity, Gigabyte has followed up with three new boards that claim the same perks and support different variations of AMD's latest hardware. The GA-790FXTA-UD5 will cover the high-end market, while the GA-790XTA-UD4 and GA-770TA-UD3 should bring 6Gbps SATA and USB 3.0 to a more affordable price point.

As the name suggests they are based on AMD's 790FX, 790X, and 770 chipsets, respectively. All three boards feature AM3 sockets and DDR3 memory slots, as well as an 8+2 CPU VRM power phase design that allows maximum overclockability and compatibility with 140W Phenom II processors. Just like their Intel counterparts, these rely on NEC's uPD720200 chip for USB 3.0, and Marvell's 88SE9128 controller for 6Gbps SATA.

No detailed specifications are available for the 790X and 770 models, but according slides posted by The Tech Report, the enthusiast-grade GA-790FXTA-UD5 has three PCI Express x16 slots (capable of running in a x16, x8, x8 lane configuration), eight internal SATA ports, two eSATA/USB combo connectors, and Gigabyte's Precision OV to ensure precise voltage control and fine stepping for the CPU, memory and chipset.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Nice! I thought we weren't going to see motherboards with USB 3.0 until 2011, if I don't recall one of the news I read from here.

I'm as surprised as you are.

BlindObject said:

More and more choices for my next build, man, I gotta start working.

Afenix said:

I'm not surprised. USB 3.0 was already on his way to the market about half a year ago, and it finally made it. Haven't heard any info about the new sata though.. I hope it comes soon to the intel motherboards.

Deso said:

more amd boards...?

how about making a version of UD6 that can have USB 3.0 and 6gbps sata without having to disable the slot 2,3 PCI-E graphics card slots?

I mean seriously, its a 250 dollar board, people who spend that much money on a board are probably gonna spend a lot on graphics cards too since it has 3 PCI-E slots, and it only use the 3.0 usb and the new sata when *ONE* graphics card is used.

anyone with me?

swilllx2p said:

I'm just happy to see USB 3.0 on hardware this quickly. I really hope that all the hype of it comes true, and you can use it on as many things as they predict because it could really make a lot of cabling efficient fast and easy.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If what Deso said is to be true than these boards are not at all a high end option, for the price you would expect not to be nuking your PCI-E slots to use next gen connectivity. Also going with AMD CPU is kinda a hard thing to do right now with Intel currently offering the top CPUs, I'm personally looking forward to Light Peak more than USB 3.0 and SATA 3, current SATA 2 isn't limiting hardware by bandwidth yet and USB 2.0 I find also still needs devices to catch up.

RealXboxMaster said:

Gigabyte is a very high reputable, reliable motherboard manufacture. Their MB are packed with features that you won't even know what to do with. They are the ONLY MB manufacture that has whats called "Duel BIOS" .and also thier driver support is excellent. Me personally , I highly recommend Gigabyte motherbords to anyone who's on a budget, excellent performance and overall value.

RealXboxMaster said:

danteoz said:

the usb 3.0 not til 2011 is intel not making their own chipset supporting usb 3.0 til 2011, hope that clears it up a little. The board manufacturers are using NEC's chips for the usb 3.0.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I wonder what the "affordable" price point mentioned above is... but it's nice to see new mobos with USB 3.0 come out, even though there's not many devices you can actually plug into those ports lol.

tigerf117 said:

I don't see much of a need for USB 3.0 now. I'm trying to think of a single device that even pushes USB 2.0's bandwidth? Even the faster SSD drives can't sustain throughput high enough to stress USB 2.0, unless I'm mistaken. Not that it's a bad thing, but anyone know something that could truly benefit from USB 3.0? (maybe webcams?) Also the same with Sata

dextersh said:

@tigerf117

Don't worry, USB 3.0 devices will soon emerge. Maybe even devices that no one thought could be done with USB interface.

And about Gigabyte all I can say is that in the moment they are truly my favorites. And only few years ago I had no respect for them at all.

timljh said:

I wonder in the end will USB 3.0 really replaces the USB 2.0 or the LightPeak?

fref said:

I'm glad to see new USB 3.0 motherboards being announced on a regular basis. I hope it catches on quickly. Maybe Intel will realize it's making a mistake and integrate it in it's chipsets earlier than 2011, as they've said before.

Anyway, NEC must be really happy about all this...

paynetrain007 said:

Sounds promising but I think I'll wait till Asus supports these. I've heard to many horror stories from newegg about Gigabyte motherboards "catching fire"

ColdPreacher said:

Im happy USB 3.0 is coming soon, 2.0 was a great technology that has its boundaries, even more happy about SATA going 6Gbps,

I don't know about these 'horror stories' about GB main boards... I have both a asus and a GB board and I need update the Asus bios almost every couple of months as something isn't working right... the GM is still using the stock bios, seeing as it's giving me no reason to update it so I won't...

This is good. GB will likely be in the next 2 computers I build for my friends in april. but we'll see what asus has then as well.

AfricanTech said:

USB 3.0 will definitely be useful for external storage - especially for image backups. At the moment I'm backing up a 60 GiG partition and it's going to take a little over two hours via USB2.

Not sure I'm ready to leap to a full mboard change yet though - I'm waiting for the add-on cards and will go USB 3.0 via that route first.

Puiu Puiu said:

I don't like the fact that they use 333 in their marketing scheme. They mention usb 3.0 2 times. If they used let's say DDR3 then it would have been good enough for a "333" (usb3, ddr3, sata3).

@tigerf117 USB 2.0 has a max bandwith of 60MBps (480Mbps). With SSD's pushing speeds of over 200MBps (USB 3.0=400MBps) i think it saturates USB 2.0. Also USB 3.0 has some other good features and tweaks. It's too much to write so just wiki it.

Afroaggie said:

Well it is nice to see that someone is pushing the usb 3.0 ball. We need companies like this that are willing to take the plunge into a new technology and see where it goes.

Xinthran said:

I love all the new things coming out so fast...but I am also so tired of having to think about upgrading ALL THE TIME.

lupinnktp said:

Nice!! but when would we be able to get our hands on (common) USB 3.0 devices?

BlindObject said:

They should make a new cup warmer for the USB 3.0. =D

Vicenarian said:

...So when USB 6.0 comes out, will they use 666 to advertise their products?

With the amount of digital media devices (digital camcorders, external hard drives, etc) in use today by the general public, this should gain widespread acceptance. Right now, most devices are stick with USB 2.0, which, in a real life scenario, really only transfers data at 20-30 MBps in my experience. (or maybe I just have too many USB devices hogging my USB bus width). Basically, it just takes too long to transfer 50 or so GB of files to your USB 2.0 HDD.

I thought eSATA would be more popular than it is today, as it seems it hasn't gained that great a share of the consumer electronics market other than a few select external hard drives. Sure, a few laptops come with eSATA interfaces, and you could always buy an extension card for your desktop, but really, what consumer electronics devices readily come with eSATA interfaces other than external HDDs (and then only a select few)? That leads me even more to believe that USB 3.0 will be the standard interface in the area of digital media and external storage for the next few years.

codefeenix codefeenix said:

This is good news for me, I plan to upgrade my AMD system.

Currently none of the AM3 boards out there are to my liking.

This will probably be my next mobo.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I personally have not had a good experience with Gigabyte motherboards, despite their popularity with some. I recently shipped one of their mobos back for an RMA, and used an old Asus mobo box I had lying around, since it fit perfectly. They shipped it back in the same Asus box, but cut it and turned it inside out, so now it was a brown box with a Gigabyte sticker on it. Sounds like something I would do haha

Timonius Timonius said:

eSATA lacks the kind of popularity expected because it isn't plug and play.

saintbodhisatva said:

When USB 3.0 finally comes out.. USB 4.0 will be announced

Basher said:

Ahh, this stuff couldn't be coming out at a better time. I've been thinking about upgrading in a year and there should be quite a bit of support in 2010.

Razerblade said:

This looks very nice indeed! I think ill be looking at one of these when i come round to upgrading my machine. I can't wait until USB 3.0 devices are available!

Hyperian said:

eSATA seems like an after thought to marketing teams when SATA came out, even if it's faster, if they never advertise it no one will know. no average user knows what a SATA cable is either, at least they've seen USB cable and know what one looks like.

i can't wait for USB3 to come out with cameras and such. file transfer with external storage would be so much faster.

sky_could_fall sky_could_fall said:

it will pass atleast 2 yrs before USB 3.0 becomes standard and in that period they will invent usb 4.0 It's like that from the beginig of PC's

yorro said:

Technology moves so fast the even predictions get squashed by a year in advance.

PNagy said:

I hope these new standards will be widely used on an acceptable prize-level. The most external drives using USB2 now and more speed will make them more useful. Mostly the DVD drives

yangly18 yangly18 said:

It's definatly a nice thing to see that technology is still moving up. USB 3 will be a part of my new desktop when it's time.

levar said:

Wow I'd love to get my hands on one of those boards.

BlackIrish said:

Motherboard makers are using third party (I think made by NEC) USB 3.0 chipsets, so that's why you see this board here (also some other Intel P55 and X58 USB 3.0 boards).

Anyway, this is great for AMD - hopefully it will help them with their sales!

redtigerdragon said:

Vicenarian said:

...So when USB 6.0 comes out, will they use 666 to advertise their products?

I agree with this statement. I was bummed E-SATA didn't catch on, but just as apple learned with 1394, USB is king.

On another note, I read an article showing that while the new USB standard has significant improvement, the new SATA one...not so much.

drasho said:

im planning on upgrading my coputer around january next years... so theres gonna be more choice for usb 3.0 =)

vangrat said:

I am going to have to agree with Kibaruk on this, I thought that there was a halt by Intel on this or some such, did I miss something?

harby said:

I'm not to fussed about USB 3 and SATA 6gb right now. It'll take anywhere from 12 to 18 (my estimate) for devices to become mainstream. Until then I see no point to invent on an expensive mobo today for controllers I don't need instead of just buying a cheap controller card when the need arises.

guyfred26 said:

Great deal with anyone buying new Motherboard who like to try the new USB 3 speed. This will help boost transfes speed from and external drive to the internal hard disk. Only question so far will be the price. We just have ti wait until the price went down before and ordinary consumer can afford this feature.

Inioch said:

Deso said:

more amd boards...?

anyone with me?

Hear hear. Maybe should have used a bit more time working out these problems instead of pushing it out so quickly, but with flaws.

helpra said:

Is a bit premature buy a board with USB 3.0. There are few devices that can supported it, and price is very high. I think now USB 3.0 is only for enthusiastic people.

jerry53 said:

usb 3.0.... its nice to see that atleast someone is pushing tech forward other than sticking with what they have and saying"it works for me i dont need anything new"while in my place people in browsing centers dont even have usb 2.0.

WakeMO said:

FINALLY! USB 3.0 is amazing and I dont know why it hasnt taken off for so long

What we won't see is *Intel* supporting USB 3.0 *in* their own chipsets until 2011. Other vendors can and are implementing it now with an additional chip.