NPD: Macs represent 48% of US desktop retail revenue

By on November 26, 2009, 5:50 PM
According to NPD, Apple's Mac desktop computers accounted for nearly half of the United States' desktop retail revenue in October. The outfit said iMacs, Mac minis and Mac Pros represented 47.71% of the revenue from desktops at the retail level.

That figure is impressive when compared to previously recorded revenue shares. For instance, in October 2008 Mac desktops held about 33%. Apple's notebook business has also increased from 30% revenue share in April 2009 to 34% last month -- though that is still less than the 38% from a year ago. Conversely, Windows desktops and laptops held the remaining 52% and 66% of revenue share.

US Computer Revenue Data: October 2009
Computer Retail Revenue Share Average Selling Price
Windows Desktop 52% $491
Mac Desktop 48% $1,338
Windows Laptop 66% $519
Mac Laptop 34% $1,410

Some of Apple's gain can be attributed with the release of its updated iMacs during the same period that Windows PC sales fell ahead of Windows 7's October 22 launch, said NPD's vice president of industry analysis, Stephen Baker. He added, "While those are great numbers, that's probably not sustainable."

That said, even with a 40% revenue share, Apple would be well ahead of any single company selling Windows PCs.

Peroucho8 said:

it's impressive ! also there is a huge difference in the average selling price !

saintbodhisatva said:

Apple really is #1 then.

flukeh said:

saintbodhisatva said:

Apple really is #1 then.

Number one in revenue maybe.... But the amount of PC's to macs around/avaliable would look more like a 2:1 ratio

saintbodhisatva said:

flukeh said:

saintbodhisatva said:

Apple really is #1 then.

That's true. I wonder where Psystar falls in the mix though. Are they Considered Apple desktops?

ColdPreacher said:

Amazing, even with there products costing 3 times more they still have the revenue and growing. If the numbers stay true wont be to long till they pass microsoft.

Guys, passing Microsoft is not anywhere in Apple's near future. Think about the OS market share for a minute: Apple is hoovering just around 6% overall (excluding mobile OS, which lands them past 9% I believe).

Just think about it...

mopar man mopar man, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

I agree with the Guest above. They are nowhere near passing Microsoft in means of sheer number of computers sold, either.

bedouinrising said:

Windows computers generally last longer (when it comes to desktops) - this is probably why Apple has such a high retail - Macs are being replaced often

Fada said:

Apple is one of the worlds biggest companies in terms of market cap, up there with google, and worth more than microsoft!

Dell and HP pale in comparison to Apple's market value, they are a luxury item that are seeminlgy immune to market forces, i suspect some kind of witch craft, possibly even voodoo at play here, maybe steve jobs is a memebr of some kind of satanic cult?

just food for thought there people!

matchu said:

I find it hard to believe that so many people are willing to pay so much for something that isn't that much better than your average PC....

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The key in this is the average price, for both desktops and laptops its almost triple the average sale price. What they should also put in there is price over performance, I know it would be a very different story. I'm not saying Apples aren't good value, I'm just saying... wait, no, thats exactly what I'm saying.

lfg18 said:

Wow, I never thought that apple computers were that spreed, I thought they had around 10% of the market, Personally I think macs are overpriced, i know they look pretty and everything but I am not pretty sure if they are worth it

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

Apple, we squeeze more out of our customers than anyone else! With that said, this is surely a wet dream of any businessman, as of course the goal of any business is to generate revenue. In my personal experience I can attest that with Apple a consumer is met with the "it's smarter to buy a new one than get this fixed or upgraded" dilemma far more often than with a reputable PC. I believe this situation must have at least some impact on their sky high revenue.

levar said:

lfg18 said:

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

levar said:

lfg18 said:

I don't spend money on anti virus software...

freedomthinker said:

Seriously compared to the PC , in pricing , this is complete nonsense the prices are tripled . Its no surprise to me anymore though , even here in Lithuania this Apple stuff is getting popular, when i asked just for the fun of it whats so special in a Mac Book or the Iphone , everybody looked at me as i was from the moon or something I know these things are great like the Iphone , nifty little gadget , but the macbook ? My PC can everything a Mac can do , but since my PC is absolute crap , im not gonna compare

codefeenix codefeenix said:

the iphone is the only apple product i would consider buying.

apple PC's are not a good value for the money.

Puiu Puiu said:

Don't you guys know? The more expensive it is the more people will buy it! I just don't know what people see in Macs besides the fact that there are fewer viruses developed for it. It has crappy hardware, crappy software support and crappy games (if any at all).

I'm sure that in 10 years from now Mac won't be doing so well if they continue like this. I already see a big decline in sales for apple next year.

Not to mention that these sales don't account PCs that are actually built by the half-way tech competent; unjustly inflating Apple's numbers.

Albeit, that's probably a smaller percentage of sales, but probably a much larger price-per-unit cost, since the builder is more likely to be an enthusiast.

Apples are laughably overpriced, especially given the 'average' person's usage.

When you spend 1,400 on a Macbook or one of their terrible desktops so you can browse the internet, use word processing and maybe, just maybe, make a powerpoint presentation...

Well, lets just say that Apple's TV ads only target a very unimpressive audience.

Also, this absolutely cracks me up:

"Yeah its overpriced, look on the bright side practically no viruses thats no money to spend on anti-virus software. Thats it, and it can practically do everything a windows PC can do apart from playing PC games."

Virus are only a problem to the most inept computer users; not to mention Apple isn't "protected" from viruses, they're just such a laughably small market share that they avoid them by virtue of being insignificant. You can also get quality virus protection on the PC, if you so deem it necessary, for free anyhow.

And, if you're spending over a thousand dollars on a computer, it damn well better be low-high-end gaming rig... so yeah, not playing games while blowing over 1,000 dollars on a computer is absurd. The exception being various processor and graphics intensive modeling work and the like... which again, you'd be much better off building a significantly better rig for the price.

Bleh. I can't stand Apple's success at marketing to the ignorant with a bit of money.

I wounder how much did apple paid NPD for this research

C'mon judging by revenue isn't even serious

Why don't they research quantity?

Mac is just a ripoff, it have no future

windows is wide spread, have huge program base, and virtualy its free

Linux is free

Chrome is cloud based, good for netbook crap, free again

and mac have nothing of above but cost 3 times more, you should be really dumb to buy it

Razerblade said:

Wow i cannot believe the difference in average price. I knew it was quite a lot but I didn't realise it was almost 3 times the amount! Im shocked that they even managed to make that percentage of revenue. However, how try can these figures be? I think the figures will soon change with windows 7 now available.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I'm impressed selling an overpriced OS/desktops/laptops there making a lot of money, however, it's there marketing that is selling there products and not there actual products. Lies like that Macs don't crash and just work and don't have any viruses are making a lot of PC's users switch over to the pricey mac, little do they realize the lies in those ads. Do you remember a few months ago on the news section here mac was upset with windows ads on television and got them to change it, yet everyday I see mac rip directly on windows. lol Funny thing about those commercials, the guy in the business suit is more like a mac since every single mac looks the same, plain white or black, same design, while PCs are more like a t shirt and jeans. lol

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm guessing one of the reasons why Appl? has almost a 50% revenue share is because of the Appl? fanboys constantly buying new computers. For a PC user, if you want to play the latest games/make your computer faster you can just upgrade your video card/CPU. However if you're a Mac owner you'll probably gonna have to fork out money for a whole new system.

I own an iPhone because it's easily the best phone out there (especially when JB'ed ) and in my opinion it is worth the premium. However for the selling price of an average C2D Mac I could build a very nice i7 PC with a latest graphics card and HD monitor.

Nirkon said:

saintbodhisatva said:

Apple really is #1 then.

Prices are still too high to become mainstream like PCs in my opinion...

look the average selling point is almost 3 times as much!

BMfan BMfan said:

Can someone please explain why is a mac worth almost 3x more,plz don't say because its not windows,then you haven't tried 7.

manintech said:

The only apple product I bought is iphone, and I gave it up and switched to android after a few months. I don't think i'll ever try any other apple products in the future.

fref said:

I keep saying that if Apple's prices were more in the line of PC prices, their market share would skyrocket. Nobody wants to pay 300% more for a computer that doesn't do more than the average PC.

there are 2 different ppl will willing to buy mac pc, 1. pro users, they use more than 50% of mac, 2, fashion users, these ppl paying 300% more price and use less than 5% of mac. Now, 95%of mac users are fashion users. they don't understand pc at all, no matter how you explain it.

most of the hackers are not interest in making virus in mac system.

Fada said:

Its beacuse they are a luxury item, simple as that, most people who buy them have no problem dropping 10 grand on a desktop, i used to work in a factory making the things and most of the computers they spit out would have 3 graphics cards, 16gigs of memory and two -four core procesors. ridicluous is not the word for it.

harby said:

I love the average selling price differences.

buttus said:

The cost differential between Mac and PC is staggering. I suppose that is why Apple is so concerned with the usability of Windows 7 as their "I'm a Mac" commercials have taken on a distinctly nasty tone of late.

BlackIrish said:

Macs don't actually use a BIOS as PC's do - Macs use EFI, so that's why they cost so much. EFI is like really important and makes all the difference in the world - it can even address partitions that are bigger then 2TB (a PC BIOS can't).

</sarcasm>

But literally, that's the only hardware difference that Macs have, yet they are 3x more expensive and sell like hot cakes

guyfred26 said:

Mac desktop has to reduce their price to more competitive with Windows. Although they have an advantage on having little virus infection. But Windows 7 is now on release and will attracht more sales from their competitor. It will be good for consumers to have many option to choose from.

timljh said:

windows or mac, the biggest winner in this case will be Intel...

Vicenarian said:

So this article, in essence, is telling us that:

1) Macs cost almost 3X that of a comparable PC

2) The amount of sales revenue generated by Mac sales nearly rivals PCs...

3) Therefore, for every 3 PCs sold, one Mac is sold. (I think)

4) People are willing to spend 3X more money on a Mac because of clever marketing.

And...

5) If everybody switched to Linux, we would all save a lot of money.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

BMfan said:

Seriously. I don't know why either, and it's not quality of hardware.I've seen plenty of Mac products fail due to bad capacitors just as many PC counterparts have. And often their unique shaped logic board designs lead to expensive out of warranty repairs. But if anything it might be ease of use and access to media, such as camcorders or still cameras. And it might also be due to outstanding customer service.

Hyperian said:

Well, they can charge expensively for average components because they're not just selling a computer. They're selling a live style, a way of living, and people buy into it because they want to stand out.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

they may be about even with M$ with revenue shares but they only have to sell 1 machine for every 2-3 that runs Windows. I don't see macs passing windows really ever. There is too much software that only runs windows for mac to out pace windows completely.

stwongbad85 said:

even more proof that Macs are over priced

ken777 said:

With pricing differences like this, Microsoft should go back to running more Laptop Hunter style ads. They really hit Apple where it hurts.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

fref said:

fref must be commenting on another news item...

Considering how much Mac users are willing to pay for their computer, I wonder how much they pay for software. Any statistics?

Arthurik_jan Arthurik_jan said:

@ slh28: I agree with you in the fact that it is not that simple to upgrade a Mac and when you look at it from this perspective it definitely is aiding the sale volumes in a way.

I just want to say that I am a PC user and my relatives and friends have been coming after me for advice and help regarding computer purchases for the last 10 years and throughout the last month alone I've installed Windows into 3 Macbooks.

My personal opinion based on the reasons why my friends and family are purchasing Macs is that the quality with which Macs are made is just unmatched. In addition to this, their new marketing campaign on their website is just outstanding. After having seen it my brother purchased an iPhone 3GS instead of a HTC Touch Pro 2.

claycc said:

I can't believe people will pay so much for a Mac. For the average price of a Mac deskop I could put together a killer PC. Mac has been doing really with their marketing campaign and have a strong brand image of a quality product. Combine that with the failure of Vista and I guess a lot of people are hopping over to Macs.

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

Vicenarian said:

5) If everybody switched to Linux, we would all save a lot of money.

What little money you save by using Linux is spent in time and effort keeping it up to date and working. I've said it before; Linux forces you to practically rebuild it every other day because of added support for various features and patches and whatnot. It's ridiculously taxing on patience and effort to keep it working. And it hardly supports enough hardware to work effectively on all platforms.

Really? So how many computers(not OS's)did Microsoft sell last year? And how many Xbox-es have been sold by Windows? Wich hardware brands are owned by Microsoft?