Far Cry 3 confirmed to be in development

By on November 27, 2009, 9:25 AM
Ubisoft Montreal's Kevin Shortt has confirmed this week what many already suspected: development on the third installment of the Far Cry series is underway. He didn't offer much of anything in the way of details, only that so far things look "pretty exciting."

Last year narrative designer Patrick Redding mentioned that a sequel would likely retain an African setting, but apparently that concept it is being tossed out the window. Antarctica has also been referred to as a possibility. It's also probable the game will be based around an improved version of the Dunia engine, a heavily modified version of the CryEngine specifically built to handle complex real-world physics within a sandbox environment.

So… to sum up we have no solid details regarding the setting, plot, game engine, or platforms, but it's still good to have confirmation for a new installment of Crytek's groundbreaking original. If you haven't played the series yet, Steam is selling the first two episodes for less than $30 -- or less than $20 if you act quickly and get in on their holiday sale.

Doctor_hv said:

That's good news certainly, but I would like more to hear something about Crysis 2, since I stopped playing Far Cry 2 in the middle of the game, and never returned to it again...it was just too much open world for my taste...

But Crysis, pure joy to play... only I'll have to buy a new PC to run the new one on Enthusiast... :/

Tyr said:

lets hope its better then the second ...

Rapidhic said:

...with better gameplay. Graphics dont need much upgrade they where already stunning.

Fada said:

never really cared for far cry, crysis on the other hand blew me away, god bless the cryengine!

Far Cry 2 was one of the worst games I have had the misfortune to pay for. Never really liked Far Cry either. Their advertising campaign really napped me.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Let's hope Crysis 2 is coded better and actually only requires a sane system to run it at decent settings. I always felt Crysis was an underrated game due to the system requirements.

LazyNinja said:

I loved Crysis but haven't played Far Cry 1/2. Might pick up the second one if it's so cheap . . .

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmm farcry 2 looks simply amazing but the game wasnt that great. i agree on the point that crysis would do good to get a sequal wouldnt it be great if they just used the far cry engin to make crysis 2 ?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I think I'm one of the few that really enjoyed Far Cry 2. I didn't mind the open sand-box style, the travel and in fact, prefer games like that. It puts options in the players control, not following some linear, channeled gameplay. Also, as a 20-year Army veteran who fired in real life pretty much every weapon in the game, I thought the sound and weapon effects were as close to the real deal as I've seen in any game. The graphics were also as good as any game released. I think a lot of players gave up on the game before they got to the 2nd half where it moved to a 2nd map and really got interesting. My beef was mainly with a weak ending story-wise.

So obviously, I'm thrilled to hear about a Far Cry 3. Bring it on!

Nirkon said:

Far cry 2 was a big disappointment to me, i got bored and never really finished it.

I hope they ditch the African landscape and go for something new and better...

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It would be nice to know where this next game is taking place, seeing as they have already done the tropical setting and the sprawling desert theme. Not sure how much better they can make it look, obviously DX11 would be a prerequisite which alone would be a good improvement. Also I still don't see how people are still complaining about playing Crysis, the game was nearly impossible to play at launch, now that graphics cards have caught up the game is playable on most mid range gaming systems. If they do come out with a sequel expect similar performance issues unless they really work on optimizing the engine.

kaonis92 said:

It's good to see FC3 is under development but has anybody heard when will Crysis 2 be released? (!)

DarKSeeD DarKSeeD said:

I hope that there no monsters in it. Sick and tired of games with monsters and other unreal things. :|

harby said:

I hope they try and manage to keep the system requirements for smooth gameplay at a decent minimum. Gaming studios have to realize that PC gaming should be affordable and most importantly available to a wide range of configurations.

BlindObject said:

better be back at the paradise and no stinkin desert. I'm gonna start Fc2 very soon, i Never got to finish it. I'm more interested in Crysis 2. =)

Puiu Puiu said:

I wonder which of these 2 games will use dx11. I know that crysis 2 uses cryengine 3 of which it is said that has dx11 support and FC3 uses a modified version of the Dunia engine.

Styl said:

Far Cry was a great game. Far Cry 2 was a complete failure, in my opinion. I hope Ubisoft gets it right this time.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

Far Cry 2 was a failure, I agree. Did not like the wide open world and complete isolation of the protagonist character. I remember driving through and having NPCs drop everything they were doing just to give chase, so lame. Ubi can def do better, but they can't do what CryTek did with the first game, even though the end was laughably awful.

PCIGamer said:

FC2 was fail. Hopefully they will do a much better job this time around

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I loved the first far cry it was great and simply beaytiful compared to other games at the time but im simply not looking forward to far cry 3 as much as crysis 2 but thats just my opinion. i am wondering if they will even bother with dx 11 at this point i mean look at modern warfare 2 it looks as good as any game ive seen and guess what its dx 9 lol we havent even had time to deal with dx 10 or 10.1 for that matter. i think the developers are moving faster with dx versions than game companys have time to cade for them and its such a shame and waste of time.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

The Far Cry that was on Xbox, which was developed by Ubi and CryTek together was awesome, and then 3 years later FC2 is released and i put maybe 6 hours into it total. It seemed to me like Ubi standing behind the game alone wasn't good for the franchise. I mean there's like no story, repetitive and boring side missions and uninteresting sandbox world. The only thing it has going for it is it looks pretty nice but everything looks like they sprinkled cocoa powder on everything lol. I mean I guess it's somewhat fun from a gaming standpoint but is far from anything special. It was like a cruel joke for me.

BlackIrish said:

Far Cry 2 was really disappointing compared to the original one... I hope the three makes a difference, but the past has shown that this rarely happens :/

yorro said:

Far Cry in Antartica? This should be interesting.

Aolish Aolish said:

Really liked the first game, and tho i've never played FC2... I hear that its not as good as the first game. Here's hoping FC3 will go back to FC1 routes

danteoz said:

nice...just bought FC2 at best buy for $5

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I read (and this was nine months ago) that Crysis 2 was going to be released in March 2010

Serag said:

I hope it's better and a lot more interesting than the second..

I hope they eliminate the need to travel for long times between missions as well

buttus said:

Wow. I remember at least a 4 year window in game development and yet Crytek has been churning these out at a fantastic rate. Far Cry was a fantastic game but I have to admit that I am still plodding my way through Far Cry 2 (it's good....frustrating...but good), and Crysis I never bothered to play as I didn't have the horsepower at the time to run it. Still, Far Cry 3 hopefully be better.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I tried to get into the first one but never really thought much of it besides the graphics at the time. Never even played the second one. I'll have a look at the 3rd just to see what they bring this time.

timljh said:

hopefully we dont need to wait for years like whats happening to the starcraft 2 and diablo 3. The commercials are out years before the actual game is released =_=''

ken777 said:

Same sentiment as everyone else. Far Cry 1 was great. Hope 3 turns out more like FC1 than FC2.

claycc said:

I enjoyed FC2 but there was definately soon room for improvements. I hope the next installment has a stronger story with better character development, more variety in the missions, and buddy/co-op gameplay

Moltar said:

I feel like an echo is this thread but Far Cry 2 was horrible. I hope Far Cry 3 is something actually worth playing.

TechDisciple said:

far cry 2 was so lame, i almost fall a sleep.

FC3 Antartica... ummm well let just hope it gets better then FC2.

Afenix said:

Far Cry 2 looked great! Everything there was awesome. Now the engine will be better and that's awesome. I just hope it wont be as monotonic as the second game..

ajickes said:

Awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on it. FarCry 2 was a great game!

ryan29121 said:

I somewhat enjoyed playing farcry 1 and 2. I really enjoyed the graphic engine in farcry 2. Perhaps that is why I enjoyed it. I am looking forward to farcry 3 if they improve the gameplay a lot.

kommunist said:

I hope they do a better job with this than FarCry 2. That game was kind of disappointing

lupinnktp said:

cool. this is much to be expected

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

Tyr said:

lets hope its better then the second ...

^^^ This. 100%. It needs a better story line than whatever crap they came up with for the second one, and it needs less repetitive missions. Every single one was pretty much "Here! Go kill this!".

Their AI was also ridiculously accurate with their bullets. Halfway across the map? TOO BAD! You're getting sniped.

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

I'm hoping it is much better than Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 was horrible...

manintech said:

played fc2 for a few hours, then totally lost interest on it

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

FC2 is a good game in its own way but i just hope the improve on the gameplay a lot because it got really repetitive and the open sand box game world was less than stellar i hated having to run all the way across the map just to get to a mission lol.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

^don't forget the enemy respawn points in between point A and B then having to fix your POS truck every 5 seconds due to pursuing gunfire. game is crap, a really good-looking pile of crap. the only way Ubi can make it right is if they drop the sandbox world and have a more linear experience and a MUCH better storyline. it worked for the first game, and it will work again as long as they don't recycle ideas or stray too far from the fps genre. sometimes i actually felt like i was playing GTA in FC2, which is something that killed the game for me.

GoranGol GoranGol said:

I got FC for free but i can remember where.

And it is excellent game. I like to play it still from time to time.

I did not play FC2 because my machine is a bit older

But when the number 3 comes, maybe i will have stronger machine

alexandrionel said:

I hope Far Cry 3 will be more like Far Cry 1 than 2. The first one was great, the second one sucked really hard. Thank god for demos.

Ithryl said:

I'm really looking forward to that. Not much of a Crysis fan but always loved Far Cry. Especially the first one.

ColdPreacher said:

First game was pretty cool, second one was garbage imo. Maybe this one will be better

swilllx2p said:

I personally was not even remotely a fan of Far Cry to begin with. The graphics are nice and all..but what good are they when very few people out there can actually play them at there fullest...the way they were meant to be played. They need to optimize this game to run better on systems that are not top of the line..because personally I've never seen a reason for this game to be good enough to cause someone to go out and spend a ton of money to be able to max it when it was released.

AbsolutGaloot said:

I've never much liked the FarCry/Crysis series. Super duper shiny, for certain, but games that expect to ride completely on the merit of how pretty they are are rather dull after they fall out of the spotlight and the graphics are no longer bleeding edge.