Weekend tech reading: AMD vs. Nvidia - Are they even playing the same game?

By on November 29, 2009, 12:11 PM
AMD vs. Nvidia - Are they even playing the same game? In the GPU world there are many flavors, despite the perception that you either get AMD or Nvidia. There is Matrox, WildCat/3D Labs, S3, VIA and a few more. But in the end what you hear the most about are NVIDIA and AMD. These two companies are compared back and forth in a game of favorites that would make a selfish 4 year old proud. Still, can you really compare them in equal terms? TweakTown

Microsoft: Project Natal to replace remote controls The forthcoming Project Natal motion control technology could replace the television remote control in the future, automatically scheduling content according to the people in a room, according to comments made by Xbox Live general manager Marc Whitten. GamesIndustry

Google Chrome OS available for Dell Mini 10V If you've got a Dell Mini 10V netbook, you could be rocking Chrome OS before the evening comes. Liliputing reports that Doug Anson of Dell has cobbled together a workable copy of Chrome OS for the Mini 10V using the source code released earlier this month. He and his team have hacked in all the needed hardware support, and they've put it up on the Internet for free. I4U

Activision says "Call of Duty" series tops $3 billion Activision Blizzard Inc said on Friday its "Call of Duty" video game franchise pushed past the $3 billion mark in global retail sales. Overall, the "Call of Duty" series has sold more than 55 million units since its launch in 2003, Activision said, citing data compiled by NPD Group, Charttrack, GfK and internal company estimates. Reuters

Spot on: 15 years of Warcraft Blizzard game design chief Rob Pardo and lead designer Jeff Kaplan discuss acclaimed fantasy franchise's long history, from Orcs and Humans to the World of Warcraft phenomenon. GameSpot

harby said:

Good read on the AMD vs nVidia. The rest were not exactly that interesting to put it mildly.

Deso said:

the nvidia article is scary

what if they succeed in becoming a total monopoly

will every generation on "new" card just be what they are doing with

8800 9800gtx 250 and that stuff from now on?

and everything optimized to cripple amd gpus.....

this is horrible!!

lupinnktp said:

wow, that's eye-opening back there abt Nvidia and AMD. perhaps i can make better decision when i go for my next GPU buy. but hey, it's still a though choice, is it not?

Nirkon said:

@AMDvsNvidia - Parts of the article are vague and some not accurate, read the comments below and see what I mean, but overall there is one point there that I have also noticed, about Nvidia helping out developers to develop games that perform better on nvidia hardware, just because they more money to do so.

@WOW 15 years - truly, WOW, so silly of me that I didn't realize they were making so much money EACH MONTH off the game... it makes me think... that they should invest more in improving the game haha

@Activision - $3 Billion dollars... seriously stop whining about piracy, I mean really...

@Google Chrome OS - this thing is !!8GB!! to download.... this is more than any commercial OS I know (XP, Vista, 7, OS X, etc...). I can't find an explanation on why the hell this is so huge.

claycc said:

Interesting read even if not totally accurate. I agree that ATI is going to have to start working with developers more on game titles that are optimized for their cards and they really need to create a working physics solution to counter PhysX.

Boogityboo04 Boogityboo04 said:

I am honestly pretty doubtful about this whole project Natal thing, I'll believe it when I see it.

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

@AMD vs Nvidia

Don't believe everything you read, kids. Do some research and ask why the author is the "expert" on the subject. What made THAT guy the person to ask about GPU structures and how it all functions? He made it an oversimplification? How the heck do we even know he really understands what he's talking about? Another B.S. article published to mislead readers. It wasn't even about what I thought it would be about.

Rapidhic said:

Everyone is talking about Project Natal and how awesome it will be but noone talks about how much it will cost, if it requires you to have an xbox 360 (it does as it seems) and will it recognise other languages than english?

Serag said:

I hope ATI partner up with more game developers and studios to make their games perform better on ATI hardware..to compete with Nvidia's almost monopoly

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I have alot of doubts about project natal, tho I hoped this kind of tech would be coming after seeing them preview it I was horrified at all the lies and fake stuff they showed us before. A lot of jittering and 2 second delay times are just not good enough my friends fix it. Why do I see subscription fees along with this device ? Console is about 1 thing taking as much money from you as they can, DLC is all there fault now we can never get a full game anymore.

manintech said:

it looks like AMD is getting stronger in GPU, but weaker in CPU

Puiu Puiu said:

I was expecting a more interesting article about amd vs nvidia but i just got a vague article which compares 2 gpu's.

On the other hand the other articles where a good read. ^_^ Call of Duty is one of my favorites series of all time!

BlackIrish said:

Dunno guys, I checkout out the Nvidia/ATI article and it seems pretty ok - I never really read much about shader processors, and this really explained things.

Though in the end, benchmarks are the determining factor, not who has a more "right" direction in the development of their technology.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

15 years of Warcraft, not World of War craft. The two are very different.

I personally enjoyed the ATI/Nvidia article. Its interesting to know what the companies mean when they brag about their GPU's stream processor count.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yah, as many have said here, that ATi vs nVidia article is biased trash. It talks up the philosophy that nVidia uses, yet completely glosses over the arguments for ATi's methods, as if they don't even matter. The kicker for me was when he started talking about ATi not being able to run PhysX in their cards. Well, DUH, nVidia won't allow that... EVER. So why even worry about it? And why not mention AMD/ATi's push for an open physics processor initiative?

Biased, inaccurate drivel supporting the author's opinions, yet being pushed off as factual researched fact. Gotta love the internet!

danteoz said:

The AMD vs nVidia article seemed like it was just an opinion without any factual information to back it up, having some previous knowledge about how things work says otehrwise.

I haven't liked Warcraft since the Warcraft 2 Expansion.

holyPaladin said:

Even with nVidia partnership with developers, AMD still win now with their new GPU I think?

saintbodhisatva said:

Activision Blizzard sure are raking it in! They are right now, a game developers' mecca.

cannon777 said:

the AMD vs Nvidia was a good read. the standard answer whenever I ask someone about the best graphic card seems to be Nvidia, while processor is Intel. Whether or not they're actually superior, they definitely seem to be more popular even though AMD tends to be cheaper. As for some of the other brands, I've never even heard of them lol

cannon777 said:

oh yea and who actually looks at the no. of shaders when buying a graphics card...i really dont lol. Usually just pick my fav games, than look at the benchmarks like blackIrish said.

KG363 KG363 said:

1. I don't care about those other companies

2. Am I the only one not looking forward to to this?

3. I'm happy with Win 7

4. And now they want to give PC users the boot

5. I used to like WArcraft but WoW ruined it for me

bonboy said:

@activision , $3 billion? wow, it's a lotta money,,lol, and sure it'll be more if there's no piracy

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

this is just my personal opinion but i think nvidia is becoming the next microsoft / apple with the way they do there business of trying to utterly make it unfair to all other companies that sell the same products.

matchu said:

Kind of sucks how NVIDIA manages to invest so much money into game developing, and AMD is ... well, not =P wouldn't it be better in general for the consumer if everything were standardized and not optimized for one type of card or the other?

PNagy said:

ATI vs Nvidia article is interesting but costumers in many countries always make their purchasing decision based on product price. In case of similar performance the price will be the primary view.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Regarding the AMD vs. NVIDIA article, I was really hoping for a more in-depth analysis. There are a lot of differences between the companies (for example, AMD is a CPU/GPU company), the way they tackle the market, their possible future plans. Even the subjects mentioned weren't given any real thought or perspective. For example, paying developers was mentioned but could be given a fuller discussion, the context being that NVIDIA has always been a marketing company foremost. The invent their own standards (CG, CUDA), and they do their best to get as many people to use them. They'd pay universities and developers to use their technologies.

Same for the discussion of physics. The article mentions Havoc, but doesn't mention that Havoc was bought by Intel, obviously making it harder to get the desired cooperation.

I think it's an interesting subject for an in depth article, but that really wasn't it.

yorro said:

Project Natal is great utility, such as remote or voice commands, but not in actual gaming.

Razerblade said:

That was a very interesting read about the AMD vs Nvidia. I didn't realise they were so different in the way they worked. Definitely need to think about which way i will go when i upgrade my computer!

timljh said:

AMD vs NVIDIA is an interesting article to read on but a bit biased in my opinion, do not believe everything you read.

kaonis92 said:

I think that nvidia's gpu architecture is better because it's capable of processing any kind of code, amd should revise it's gpu architecture and implement something different similar to nvidia, that way they could save money from paying game developers.

alexandrionel said:

PNagy

Then why does Intels have such a huge market share on the CPU market?

I think that customers purchase based on what they have heard in terms of brand.

Even when on some romanian forums, some kids recomend Intel or Nvidia and their only argument is that ATI or AMD suck. Even if it is obvious for instance when 4850 came that it was even better and much cheaper it still wasn't enough.

@Warcraft

Warcraft 2 was one great game. It kep me busy for hours and hours.

ColdPreacher said:

matchu said:

Would be excellent but i think a monopoly would occur

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

@AMD vs. Nvidia - I have noticed a lot of games I have played recently have the Nvidia Logo show up when they are loading. I don't think I have seen a game with a AMD/ATI logo in a long time.

@15 years of Warcraft - Blizzard puts out some good games. I loved StarCraft, played the hell out of Diablo 2, and play quite a bit of WC3 & the expansion. Now I play WoW and have been for the last 2 years. They just seem to be doing something right with their games.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The nvidia/ati article was vague and not entirely arbitrary, most of the comments went towards calling the writer an nvidia fanboy, I surely didn't find it any useful, the comments on the other hand on that webpage were a lot more coherent.

Warcraft and World of Warcraft sure are two sorts of games entirely different, I just wished Warcraft had a bigger development team instead of going full into World of Warcraft (Am a vet in there and the game is surely screwd as today, it's sucking big time). Hope SC2 comes out soon to fill that strategy whole they left, SC has put up enough there.

swilllx2p said:

Nvidia/ATI was completely biased IMO. As other have stated It could have been and I expected it to be a great article breaking down the two. Instead it was a biased pile of crap

jrronimo said:

Interesting article on ATI vs. nVidia. They're definitely still playing the same game on some levels -- they both put out consumer and workstation graphics cards. nVidia just does some of the crazier, high-end stuff.

Interesting things to think about, though.

AbsolutGaloot said:

I have been a longtime fan of ATI cards, and really am interested to see if AMD follows through with the cpu and (quality) gpu on the same board concept that they've mentioned. That, or the new Hydra technology that's in development that'll let you use multiple cards simultaneously and get the best of both worlds

wcbert said:

To make 3 Billion dollars on a video games is amazing. I wonder what they are investing in to keep the profit flowing in?

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i'm mostly nVidia over AMD, yet can still be satisfied with some ATI GFX card

Project Natal would make fiction become reality .. hehe! nice move MS!

COD sales is normal for such a good franchise, just hope they do realize that it all start because they have good developers & in the end good customers, so if one part fail, bye bye Activision!

cheers!

MVL said:

I'd like a simple recommendations by experts;

I use 3ds Max and some CAD applications, while wasting most my free time replaying the great atomic bomb scene in Fallout 3... so therefore I stick to Gaming cards for now (mainly because of the cheaper price of gaming cards)...

So which is the better compromise in the "desktop range" for getting the best out of Gaming and Graphics applications in a single package... AMD or nVidia?

vangrat said:

AMD vs NVIDIA...that was a garbage article wow..the writer needs to clearly remove their lips from the buttocks of NVIDIA. The whole article was nothing but AMD bashing. Heck AMD currently have the top end running GPU on the market right now and have Five, yes FIVE next gen gpus on the market at the moment, 3 of which smoke the best of of NVIDIA have to offer. Yes the article was about what the two organisations focus on, physics processing is lacking on the AMD GPU for the simple reason that PhysX is not an open standard and as such is not supported by AMD. However AMD are leaning more towards the HAVOC engine which is supported by both AMD/ATI and Intel. This will mean most likely acceleration on both AMD/ATI GPU/CPUs and Intel CPU/GPUs...really people it can't get much better then that

tengeta tengeta said:

AMD was behind for a while, but they managed to close the gap up mostly... problem is every time Nvidia gets popular, it stays that way for a while.

dellz said:

1.Well in my opinion AMD vs NVIDIA gpus can be compared , because in th end the run the same games etc.

2.Not really interested , i have never been a console gamer and probably never will be (pc all the way) :P

3.Im not sure that Google Chrome OS is something to get exited about , but if it comes out BIG i mean like if it can be on par with Windows or Linux then i will look into it for sure

4.Well Call of duty is probably the most played fps francsise at the moment

5.Im a big fan on warcraft , tho i started playing warcraft from Warcraft 3 ROC and im still playing Warcraft 3 TFT (custom maps like DotA and Castle Fight) would love to see a true sequel to Warcraft 3 not a nother geek game like Wow (im not a wow hater but i dont like that it killed Warcraft as a strategy game)

Heretic said:

Well, World of Warcraft has had a good run and I've heard they're losing money on the game now. Maybe it's time they finally put down WoW and put out games like Starcraft 2 finally. Or Diablo 3.